Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2008, Starting Over & Ready For Change.

Good Morning Everyone,

My story: I was banded in June of 2008, lost about 17 lbs, which turned my health around for the better, but have gained all of it back. Long story, but in summary, I had an allergy to mangoes, had to have my band opened, then my doctor wouldn't see me or release my records due to a balance owed. 16 months later, I filed a complaint with the medical board and received a copy of my records 2 weeks later. If you are being held hostage by your doctor, that is the only recourse short of hiring a lawyer and since I couldn't pay my balance, paying for a lawyer was out of the question obviously. I also wrote to LabBand Corp, but received no response.

Anyway...

I'm meeting my new bariatric doc on Tuesday, and I'm really excited and ready to start living a healthier life. When I called, they asked if I was considering a revision to the gastric sleeve. In fairness to the band, I'm going to give myself 6 months to make substantial progress before I consider doing something that is irreversible. I lost my workbook that covered the pre-op/post-op diet, so am hoping they will give me some info when I come in that I can read over and follow. I need to act as if I just had surgery so I can mentally go through the process of starting over.

My health issues right now? Pre-diabetic, hypertensive, fibromyalgia, and now mechanical problems from the waist down... primarily right hip- torn labrum and bone spur, but losing weight would only improve the situation.

I look forward to getting to know some of you, so I can develop a "community" of others doing what I do.

This was lengthy, thanks for still reading, if you are. :D

Nicole

Congratulations on regaining control of your health. All the best with the band. There is a lot of support on this site.

Welcome back. I was banded in 2008 and just recently got back on track myself.

I initially lost 100, then regained 56. I had gallbladder surgery, then a port replacement, and now I am possibly looking at a hiatal hernia repair.

I am committed to making my band work this go around. It did once until I let my complications sideline me mentally.

We can do this! I hope your new doctor helps get you to proper restriction and you find some success. Four years is a long time to wait to start utilizing your band.

Congrats on getting back into it. Best of luck and determination to you on your revisit to this amazing journey.

good luck to you!

Although you've had your band a long time, you haven't really been able to use it. It kind of like you are starting over. I think once you get back on track you will feel better about your future sucesss with it. Try not to put a deadline on your success, it could take you several months just to find the proper fill. As long as you start to loose at a steady rate I would hang in there. In the meanwhile plug back into the LBT site and re-educate yourself on techniques and lifestyle.

I'm sure if you are willing to recomitt, success will be in you future.

Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone! I visited my new bariatric doctor on Tuesday and am scheduled for a fill next Tuesday! YAY!! I found out that the doc that did my band placement is no longer in the lap band business, which is good because he was a general surgeon that got into the lap band business for one reason $$.....

Going to the Bariatric clinic was night and day from what I've experienced at the other office. I met with an RN, my new doc, a dietitian, and an insurance person. Everyone was very supportive and I have access to the dietitian any time I need her.

My only concern right now is that things are very tight financially for me right now, so I hope I can put together some budget & band friendly meals.

I'll be reading posts, hoping to learn how to use this tool to reach my goals. :)

Thanks everyone!

Nicole

Good luck with everything! I was banded in 2007 and recently "started over" so far since December I've lost 40 lbs, and I feel great! I'm officially less than 100 lbs from my goal, it can be done I promise!

Good luck with everything! I was banded in 2007 and recently "started over" so far since December I've lost 40 lbs, and I feel great! I'm officially less than 100 lbs from my goal, it can be done I promise!

Wow, congrats! Keep up the fantastic work. You give me hope that I might be able to do the same. :)

Congrats!! That is awesome and inspiring.

Thanks everyone! I visited my new bariatric doctor on Tuesday and am scheduled for a fill next Tuesday! YAY!! I found out that the doc that did my band placement is no longer in the lap band business, which is good because he was a general surgeon that got into the lap band business for one reason $$.....

Going to the Bariatric clinic was night and day from what I've experienced at the other office. I met with an RN, my new doc, a dietitian, and an insurance person. Everyone was very supportive and I have access to the dietitian any time I need her.

My only concern right now is that things are very tight financially for me right now, so I hope I can put together some budget & band friendly meals.

I'll be reading posts, hoping to learn how to use this tool to reach my goals. :)

Thanks everyone!

Nicole

I am so happy for you that your new doctor experience was positive. It makes such a HUGE difference! Keep us posted.

Trust me it wasn't easy! I was doing excellent my first 6 months post op, then it just went downhill I didn't see my md for fills until about 2009, then I stopped going again. I had my gall bladder removed last year, and after my GB was out, I could eat like I had no lap band! The dr thought it may have been an erosion so I had an endoscopy, everything was fine :). I'm an old timer with a 4 cc band. The funny thing is, I think the most I had was 2 ccs in it, and I would get certain foods stuck. Now I have 3.25 and I don't get stuck, but I'm satisfied off of small portions for 4 + hours at a time. I live alone (well except for my cat) and I'll be honest with you since I don't have to cook for a spouse or a family, I've been buying lean cuisines and eating those, they're small portions and I'm completely satisfied. Now, they are a little high in sodium, but I drink over 64 ounces of Water a day and I walk two miles a day (to and from my job and the train station). Also, and I know a lot of people are going to get on me about this, the APRN where I get my fills prescribed me Adipex. It works, I lost 7 lbs in two weeks, but I'm not going to take it forever, and she agrees. She wants me to get to a certain weight and fill level and start weaning me off of it. Now that I've been taking it for two weeks, the side effects aren't that bad. I don't suggest everyone does this, but I think my APRN knows I can be a success and wants to give me a little boost. Honestly though, I could've done it without the pills lol.

Yeah. I did really good my first year and a half. I lost 100 pounds. I had my gallbladder out too but it didn't seem to affect my band.

I developed a leak and that threw me off track. I didn't get my port replaced until last year. I did really good for about 4 months after port replacement, losing about 30 of the 56 I had regained. Then I had a really really rough summer and fall emotionally with personal issues and I stopped following the rules again.

Right now I have been recommitted for about a month. I have lost 9 pounds again in the last month. When I follow the rules I do well. I wish I never pushed the band and learned how to eat around it. It makes working with it a lot harder.

So far so good!! I come here often to keep me mindful and on track. I am done micky mousing around and am determined to be successful finally!

Hi there. I was banded May 2008 and initially lost 85 lbs. I am 5'-4" and started out at 228. I got down to 143 and hoped to get to 135. I am 62 years old. I was doing well and then I was T-boned in an auto accident when a young man ran a red light. I sustained some back injuries. Then 5 months later a woman on a freeway on ramp rearended me when the car in front of me came to a dead stop. I sustained another spinal injury. Needless to say I have been dealing with lots of pain and mobility issues and many spinal treatments. I have slowly gained back 15 lbs due to decreased activity and exercise and then not following my "lean and green" program. Anyway, I am making a new start today with baby steps. I will start a light walking program and adding a Protein Shake meal a day. I haven't been on this site for three years and thought this would be a good place to look for support. I haven't been back to see my surgeon in a year because I am embarrassed over my weight gain. I feel like my port is okay but I should check in just to be sure. Any positive words of advise will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to hear any negative posts. I want to hear from others who have overcome challenges and helpful encouraging stories. It is really not all about the weight loss but how we feel about ourselves and how to improve our health and wellbeing. I know that I felt so much better when I was in my 140's. I want to get back to that weight. I look forward to hearing from you. Maybe we can help each other on our journey to health and happiness.

P.S. My ticker is really out of date since I haven't been on to log in my weight loss. I tried to edit it but forgot my PIN. I can't figure out how to set up a new PIN and new information...any tips????

beckn: Oh my. I am so sorry about your accidents. That can definitely put a wrench in things. I think the fact that you gained only 15 back is positive. Pre-band, imagine what that could have been. And you are already looking at taking steps to get it off.

I am not sure what kind of exercising you can do with your spinal injuries. Have you talked to your doctor? I would start there.

How is your restriction and eating habits? Do they need adjusting?

Hi Adorkbl,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I am starting to do some light walking, about 30 min a day. I am looking forward to start some swimming now that the weather is getting warmer. I am also going to get my bike tires pumped up for some easy bike riding in the park. I have let my back pain keep me from too much exercise but I know that is important for health and mobility. I have to say that the two accidents kind of set me back mentally, but I am coming out of that and ready to take control of my life again! Like I said, it will be baby steps but slow and steady is a good way to go. I am also looking to improve my eating habits again. I kind of got off track over the winter but now I am willing to make the healthy choices I need for weight loss and improved health. I just need support and encouragement. I hope I can get it here and hope that I can be a positive influence for others. I am going to make an appt with my surgeon soon just to make sure my port is fine. I think it is because I haven't had any problems in that way. It was good to hear from you and I wish you all the best on your path.