Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Beginning To Get Worried!

I am 8 days post op and am ashamed to admit that today I have eaten way too much. I had a bowl of cream of wheat, a half cup of pureed ravioli, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and a whole baked potato. And not feeling any discomfort or restriction. From what I've read in other forums, it is not usual for patients to be able to comsume this much food this early on. Could someone please tell me if this is a sign of a possible complication?

8 days after my surgery i was still on liquids!. I think 8 days out is much too early for food like that. If you did not get any fills during surgery( i didnt), then you will not have much restriction yet, your body is still healing from the surgery. Just because you can consume food at this point, doesnt mean you should, have to be very careful.

I am going to definitely be taking it a lot easier and being more careful about what I consume. I admit that I went overboard today. And while I do not have a fill yet, I was told that I could only expect to be able to consume approx. 4oz at a time. Which I went over on today! I just really hope this is not a sign of something being wrong with my band. Is it possible to stretch my stomach this soon or for the band to become unbuckled?

You really need to be careful. I think I was just on mushy food stage at that point. But yeah I did cheat but looking back I really wish I had not. At 8 days you are still healing and you could do serious damage to you band aka a slip or more. Your doctor gives you guidelines that are proven to maximize your success. At this point you really need to exercise your will power ( I know that if we could all do this we wouldn't need the band or at least I wouldn't ). You are probably going to feel like this until you get some fills. I didn't know that my Dr had put in primer so I started with 4 ccs in my band, which is why looking back I wish I would have been more careful. I have been real lucky but please don't press your luck. I have found GNC makes a Protein Shake with an appetite suppressor and it works really well. It's called Total Lean it has 25 grams of Protein and they taste pretty good. Good luck!

Yes, I would have to agree with everyone else. I am 12 days post op and still on liquids for another 4 weeks. My surgeon and bariatric coordination instructed me to make sure I get all my Protein Shakes in first amounting to 60 grams and then I can have a 1/4 cup of Soup just to break the taste of all the shakes. Trust me I have the urge to want to eat but I keep thinking about things that could happen if I didn't follow orders. Please take care of yourself and get your Protein in along with your Water. If you want to eat, then just take a walk.

Oh my - you must be careful at this early stage. I just went to a nutrition class last week and I was told to be ultra careful until my first fill. They explained that my baby pouch can hold 4oz. at a time...but until I am healed they only recommend 2oz (1/4 cup) at a time. The biggest concern is the the flap of your tummy that is folded over the band and stitched. If you overeat and fill the pouch then you put stress on those sutures...which could result in pulling on the sutures and causing a tear in your stomach. Please be ultra careful and follow the rules...they scared the crap out of me. I only have 1/4 cup at a time.

My doc is pretty aggressive and I am off liquids...but still limited on the typed of solids that I can have. After my first fill then I will be on the "regular" lap band diet....but until then I am limited.

I doubt you have any complication or did any serious damage to your band. You are probably hungrier because the swelling from surgery is going down so you have more of an appetite. You do need to focus on Protein Shakes, Water, and Vitamins before food, and make sure you are eating watery Soups and soft cereals or oatmeal. The importance of the post-op diet stages is to let your body heal. Be careful and good luck.

Alex, Please someone help.

I just tried to get in contact with my lapband surgeon because it has be 1 and 1/2 yrs post op and I have not lost one pound. My husband is furious and feels scammed. I have been verry ill with respritory issues and my family believes it is due lapband. My stomach has been very bloated and tender this entire time, and my breathing is terrible. My doctor has me on oxygen 24/7! I lost too much blood after surgery, my IV came loose I I almost bled to death.

WELL, when I tried to look up Dr. Huacuz I saw all the terrible stuff about his malpractice & unsatisfied patients! I am crying & shaking all over. When I typed on the page for "Tijuana Lapband Surgeon in jail" and boom pops up a picture of MY doctor!!!

Who is going to help me now? I don't want to sue, or have him arrested I just want him to help me and fix what's wrong. I paid alot of money & missed a lot of work.

What do I do now? How do I get help. Do I contact the authorities? Please someone give me advice quickly, my husband is ready to call the police, and get a lawyer.

Please contact me fast

You got your surgery in Mexico? Can you call a band Dr in your area to fix the problem? I would get yourself fixed then yes call the police and a lawyer.

The above post can not be real?? and if it is I am sorry, but I did hear about fraud posts, just seems a bit to odd...and to leave it for a year..ouch..and if it is real again, sorry, but go to any hospital and have it xrayed...good luck!! I had my surgery in Mexico and was so happy!!! and still am!!!

As for the original post...I agree with everyone..what did your doctor say you should be eating?? I was on 2 weeks Clear Liquids then two weeks all liquids, then solids...and he said, follow it to the T, or you can cause the issue of stretching or putting strain on it, so I followed it...now that I am eating solids, I do from time to time I think push it, because it is a learning lesson trying to figure out how much to eat, and how often...good luck!!!

As for the type of foods I am eating, I am following my doctors orders. I was on all liquids for 1 week after surgery and am now on "mushies" soft/pureed foods for the next two weeks. So its not the type of foods I was eating that concerned me, it was the amount I ate and the fact that I felt no restriction/discomfort of any kind. If I have stretched my pouch this early or if a sututre has come un-done would I feel pain?

My doctor said even at mushies to weight the Protein. In my opnion mushies at this point would be cottage or ricotta cheese, yoghurt. I would not consider even pureed ravioli a mushie; and not a based potato. Runny mashed potato yes. Remember your stomach grinds/churns in order to digest food and the more dense your food the harder it has to work. Back to measuring. I bought a digital food scale they are are available at Target and Walmart. I went to a WW store because their scale you can type in the food and it will say how many calories are in the serving on the scale. I still measure out 3 oz of protein at lunch and dinner. I have Greek yogurt for Breakfast.< /p>

I was told anything I can blend into a "pureed" form, I could eat. They even give us a list of suggestion foods for this phase which did include the cottage cheese and mashed potatoes. However, I have got myself so worried, at this point I am going back to mostly liquids until I see my doctor.

you need to keep track of your calories, and go slow. I didn't here a Protein shake in there, and thats a must.!

Go to myfitnesspal.com and open a account, its free ! You can keep track of calories, and exercise, and it will record your calorie burn. I like to stay under 1200 calories a day. I'm losingintime on that site, and i can friend you in. This will help your problem, but you must follow a plan.