Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Being Replaced With The Sleeve?

Hello everyone

I has been 3 yrs for me come July 9th and I have been pretty successful but not the way I wanted. I will admit I have not always been a good girl with this process and I have had NO major issues at all..

Have any of you ever had your band replaced with the sleeve? I am just wondering if you have and how has it been working for you?

Thanks and I look forward to all of your responses..

M

Why go through that? How much more weight is there to lose wouldnt it be worth just trying to kick your own butt and lose whats left with out going through the cost. hassle, and risk of surgey?

It sounds to me as though you are considering the sleeve because you think that it will be easier, that you won't have to make the good choices etc.

Although I am not sleeved I believe that you will find that you actually have to make the same choices as you do with the band. The sleeve will not stop you from eating junk, it will not stop you from grazing, it will not make you exercise etc.

If you are considering a revision because there is a problem with your band then I would say go ahead, but if you are considering it just because you think it will be an easier option I would say you should be very careful. Remember there is still no magic wand WLS - they all require work.

Sad but true. A dedication to diet and a big overhaul of your exercise could get you to where you want to go. Unfortunately once you reach that magic BMI weight loss gets very hard. It took me a couple of YEARS to lose that last big of weight that took me from an OK BMI of 25 down to the 20 I was really happy with. And it takes me an hour of running a day and fairly constant control of my diet to stay there.

Its just not easy whatever way you cut it. Sleeves bring their own problems - such as reflux and too much acid production and if you head over to verticalsleevetalk you will see that people complain about things like constantly making poor food choices or not having a "tight" enough sleeve and that they can eat too much.

Doesnt mean you cant/shouldnt do it, but its not likely to be a magic bullet. Just like thinking that going really really tight with your band rarely works to lose lots of weight fast.

Hello everyone

I has been 3 yrs for me come July 9th and I have been pretty successful but not the way I wanted. I will admit I have not always been a good girl with this process and I have had NO major issues at all..

Have any of you ever had your band replaced with the sleeve? I am just wondering if you have and how has it been working for you?

Thanks and I look forward to all of your responses..

M

hey! we were banded on the same day :)

is it correct on your post that your last fill was in 2010? I say go get a fill and use the band :)

Hey you all thanks for the kick in the pants I need this as I really am a slacker. I got a fill back in July last year after I moved here to NJ. I have a great doctor and good friends all of who live back home..lol

I know I just need to stop being lazy and give up a few things I could not bear to part with food wise...you are all correct in saying just get off my tush and make it work..Why on earth was I thinking about the sleeve. My band is at the sweet spot and I do have restriction still pretty good too I might add..

Thanks again all of you and Humming Bird I really wanted to be at the place you are by now but again being a slacker on my end did not help..any tips you might want to share? I just need some help getting back on track

Thanks

M

If you are at your sweet spot and you are at restriction, put that tool to work! Start journaling your intake and make sure you get in all your Protein and limit your caloric intake to 1200 or less a day. And baby steps with the exercise is ok, just start out walking.

I did have sleeve envy for the longest while though. When i had to unfill for cancer treatment, i was under a lot of pressure to GAIN weight from my doctors - everyone has that plump = healthy ideal and a chemo patient at low normal weight freaks everyone out. Then wgen it was all over, I had to pitch a fit to get the idiot doctor I was seeing to fill me again as she said I wasnt overweight - i had yo go over her head and see my surgeon and he was reluctant too, suggested I gain back up to a BMI of 25. I stress i was nit ubderweight, just slim. I hought if I had the sleeve nobody could ake that restriction away from me, come cancer, surgery or even complications.

And you could get thin with nobody threatening to take your tool away until you plump up enough to satisy THEIR demons.

My husband got the sleeve 5 months ago, after having the band for the last 5 years ( i got the band 6 months ago). He did not utilize his band in the correct way, he would throw up almost every time he ate, because he would still have bad eating habits. His band surgeon would push the bypass on him over and over, so my husband decided to seek another opinion, and we found an awesome surgeon here in NJ, Dr. Strom. After unfilling the band completely for a few months in hopes to start over, he decided on the sleeve.. Dr. Strom took the band out and performed the sleeve at the same time. Took about an hour, and went well. My husband has already lost in 5 months what he couldnt lose in 5 years with the band. So i think the band is better for some (me) and the sleeve is better for some (my husband). Both are great ways to lose and maintain the weight loss, just depends on what kind of journey you want to take.

Does no one get bothered by the fact that they are removing part of your stomach in the sleeve? Doesnt that make you nervous at all?

I cannot understand any Dr wanting someone to gain weight to a BMi of 25. That is right at the top of the normal range and from there it would be far too easy too slip back into the overweight range. Surely it is better to aim for the mid to lower range!