Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not A Glamourous Topic...

Ok kids...so it's not the most glamourous topic but I'm just going to throw it out there...

Constipation.< /p>

I am 30 months out and have recently been having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom. I am well adjusted and have no other band complaints at this time. I drink 1-2 gallons of Water a day...nothing else ex. coffee, tea, etc. Fluids don't seem to be an issue. I only eat 1-2 solid meals a day that are a maximum of 1/2 cup. I just don't feel hungry and have decided not to eat just because it seems like it's time to or everyone else is doing it. I think the lack of food is the reason for the problem.

My mother and father also have a lap band. My dad doesn't have any of these issues, but my mom does. She is to the point of using suppositories and stool softeners daily. I have tried softeners just to ease some of the pain from straining, but don't want to become as reliant on them as she is. The bottom line is I have gone almost a week at a time without a movement and that just doesn't seem good to me. Also, I have so much pain trying to go and often feel like I have to go, but must strain to the point of drawing blood.

I am looking for ANY and I do mean ANY suggestions!

R u taking a Fiber supplement?

um not to state this obvious, but if you aren't eating, you won't be pooping, it's that simple. Why are you only eating once a day??? I can't imagine after 1--2 1/2 cup (emphasis on you calling this the maximum) there would be anything to poop out.

Yes but here's the thing, if ur not having bm's ur gonna feel all bloated and gross and not feel like eating. Bad cycle. And if u are straining and bleeding an such then obviously u are backed up. U need fiber and milk of magnesia. Have u talked to ur doctor?

I am a huge fan of Vitafusion brand fiber gummies (Target). I eat one about 5-6 mornings a week and stay regular.

This brand is very soft, easy to chew and tastes great.

Add more natural fibre to your diet. Your body is hanging on to the very little that you are giving it and if you are focussing on Protein, then you are not giving your body the tools it needs to process.

Kinda in the same boat..was banded 8/31/11..My BM cycle is totally messed up, although i eat way more than you, lol...The Constipation is bad..before surgery i used to go everyday like clockwork..now its every 2-3 days..and i have to take 6 chewable fiber pills a day just to get that. I do think you need to eat a bit more, and get some more fiber in the diet. Also, walking helps too. Good luck!

Also very important that u drink all ur Water

I second vitafusionn Gummy fiber. I take some in the morning and some at night. I also add unflavored benefiber to my greek yogurt for Breakfast.< /p>

Ive only had issues since having a bowel resection, after about five years banded. Having no rectum, im never going to have totally normal bowel function, but I am driven crazy by that need to go when nothing us there feeling, and I caused myself inguinal hernias by pushing and straining.

This is what my colorectal surgeon, who began his career doing lapbands thinks.

The simple fact is, as bandsters we dont put enough into our system to aways have a sizeable bowrl motion every day - every two or three days is not a problem if uts not difficul to pass when you do go. But to bulk things up and hlp form a larger stool you need a high fibre diet - and lots of soluble fibre, s o bread, Pasta and cereals are vital and I take - wait for it - four tablespoons of metamucil throughout the day with lots if Fluid. It creates bulk by gelling - gives me almost diarrhoea but helps to minimise that maddening phantom poo feeling.

I eat 5 stewed prunes a day or drink prune juice, they are high in fibre and work like a laxative and are completely natural works almost daily or every other day at the most .. they are nice to eat too :) otherwise increase your fibre somehow, natrally is best from food, if not buy some fibre suppliment.

I bought some fiber gummies, and took the two a day like they suggested. It doesn't do anything for me.