Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I was banded yesterday by Dr. Les Miles in Birmingham, AL. He also repaired a large hiatal hernia I had no idea about. So far it has been a breeze. I am pretty sore at the port site, but other than that, I'm doing great. No nausea and doing well with liquids. I was really afraid and worried before surgery. I am a nurse and know too much I guess- LOL. if everything continues as well as it is now, I worried for nothing. I'm planning on returning to work on Monday so hopefully most of the soreness will be gone by then.

Congrats!!!!! I'm hoping to be able to schedule mine soon - I'm also a nurse, but I'm self pay. My employer has an obesity exclusion in our policy. Please keep me informed at how you do!

That stinks about your insurance. Most hospitals encourage weight loss with special programs, etc so I'm surprised about the exclusion. I know I am only POD 2, but I feel great. Even walked the dog this morning. As I said yesterday, the port site is the only thing bothering me.

I wasn't planning on surgery until the end of April or first of May, but my surgeon's office called on the 2nd to tell me I was approved and that they had a cancellation on the 10th if I wanted it. Believe it or not, I actually hestitated for a second because I didn't have everything I needed. I had to order Protein and have it shipped express. I had to run to Walmart so I could begin full liquids and then clears. I had to rush to my pre-op visit, to have labs drawn and to pre-admission testing. Use this time to get yourself prepared so you don't have to run around at the last minute. Also, with you being private pay, you don't have to wait 6 months, do you? That was what seemed to take forever- but I used that time to get an exercise routine established that I plan on starting back next week.

Let me know when your surgery is scheduled. I'm here if you want to talk. I wish I had done this years ago!

Debbie

Congrats and welcome to the otherside. I will return to work Monday, I am a nurse also but had to take whole 6 weeks off :( d/t job description no restrictions. The soreness takes a while to go away I still experience it when occasionally will be 6 weeks out tomorrow. Good luck to you on your journey to becoming a healthier you.

another nurse here had mine done yesterday. doing great nothing unexpected. A little sensitive abdomen. walking around trying to do not too much soo here I sit with pc and my Water.< /p>

Yet another nurse banded on 4/6.POD 7 feeling good .tolerating full liquids well.got extremely hungry POD 5.but otherwise ok.still soar at port site.stri strips just came off yesterday.

I didn't have a lot of the problems other people experience.no vomitting minimal nausea.the crazy L shoulder gas pain lasted only a few hours after surgery.any way good to see nurses (who know better) taking our life back.wonder if there is a banded nurses forum? I think there should be.

I am also a nurse scheduled for surgery on April 19.. I am so nervous. I am going grocery shopping today for post op liquid diet. I am hoping this is a new start :))

Thamm,

I was a nervous wreck. I've always worked surgery and recovery so I know too much. Everything was a breeze though. I had no PONV or shoulder pain from the gas. The worst part is the soreness at the port site. Let me know how you do,

POD# 2 not bad at all except for dont attempt to bend over.Stomach growling but reallly not hungry I think my stomach is protesting(lol).

Congratulations !

I love my band.

I was self pay and have no regrets. The band change my life. I started with a 54" waist now I"m a 33" waist... I've lost 156 lbs. but best of all my acid reflux is gone.

Good luck !!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

POD# 2 not bad at all except for dont attempt to bend over.Stomach growling but reallly not hungry I think my stomach is protesting(lol).

POD #3- still can't bend over. I've gotten really good at picking stuff up off the floor by holding onto something and doing an arabesque- LOL. Advanced to fulls this morning and thoroughly enjoyed my mocha Protein shake.

7 days post op for me 20lbs in 3 weeks since pre op diet.

that is awesome, ive been reading all the stories, i dont have surgery date yet but i plan to be banded by end May, rending most post im so ready to start my journey!!

POD #3- still can't bend over. I've gotten really good at picking stuff up off the floor by holding onto something and doing an arabesque- LOL. Advanced to fulls this morning and thoroughly enjoyed my mocha Protein Shake.< /p>

WOW im not allowed to advance for 0ne week. oh i've found a way to pick things up (oh honey) lol

that is awesome, ive been reading all the stories, i dont have surgery date yet but i plan to be banded by end May, rending most post im so ready to start my journey!!

great to hear your joining our lil band (lol)