Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, it took me an hour but I was able to eat a whole 1/2 cup of applesauce! I don't feel like I've overeaten but did burp a few times after. I can't wait to have soft foods tomorrow but no clue how I will have 1 cup. Hah. Has anyone started mashed/soft yet?

Was banded on the 16th and these gas pains are awful! I can move around pretty good and is ready to start being active, however I am worried that my activity may out weigh my calorie consumption. I have no desire to eat and barely drink. If I am using myfitnesspal correctly it says I am consuming about 500-800 calories a day. (If that) I am on a liquid diet only. chicken broth, Protein Shakes and Water. Oh! My paperwork is confusing because one say fruit juice with no sugar and another says NO fruit juice. what do you think?

On my diet I was allowed fruit juice for 2 weeks until I started my mushies. And than I was told no more.

Well, it took me an hour but I was able to eat a whole 1/2 cup of applesauce! I don't feel like I've overeaten but did burp a few times after. I can't wait to have soft foods tomorrow but no clue how I will have 1 cup. Hah. Has anyone started mashed/soft yet?

I'm almost starting my 2nd week in to mushies. Not been to bad. I've had scrambled and poched eggs, scrambled ground beef, refried Beans, shredded chicken, mash potatoes and greenbeans, peas, carrots, cottage cheese. I'm sure there are other things but can't think of what they are. But I have to ask, did your dietican tell you that you would be able to eat 1 c of food? I was told the most that I will every eat is 3/4 c. I'm only at a 1/2 c now. I get 2 oz of meat and 1 oz of vegetable and 1oz of fruit or potatoes. I really haven't looked to see what I start after this 2 weeks. I guess I better take a look.

I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question but what is the difference between the blended or purée stage and the soft food stage. I've been reading my post op packet and can't figure it out.

Lala

I'm almost starting my 2nd week in to mushies. Not been to bad. I've had scrambled and poched eggs, scrambled ground beef, refried Beans, shredded chicken, mash potatoes and greenbeans, peas, carrots, cottage cheese. I'm sure there are other things but can't think of what they are. But I have to ask, did your dietican tell you that you would be able to eat 1 c of food? I was told the most that I will every eat is 3/4 c. I'm only at a 1/2 c now. I get 2 oz of meat and 1 oz of vegetable and 1oz of fruit or potatoes. I really haven't looked to see what I start after this 2 weeks. I guess I better take a look.

It's crazy how every doctor differs. I wasn't allowed shredded meats, fruits or veggies at the puréed stage. I can start having that as of tomorrow. I bought strawberry yogurt, turkey patties, garlic tilapia, deli meat, sweet potato, canned green beans, oatmeal, diced peaches (lite syrup) and some berries. I may try chili too.

The binder my nutritionist gave me says I can have up to 1 cup in a sitting, once on soft foods. I also verified that w/ her in person. But considering i had a miserable evening after doing close to 3/4 cup of beans, im gonna take it 1/4 cup at a time. I REALLY do not want to overeat and hurt myself.

Lala - With puréed, everything has to be applesauce consistency in a blender. Soft foods are things that are moist, or mashed, and easy to chew down.

Natalie was you also told no skin on fruit? I was also told no corn, broccoli or cauliflower. I love these vegetables, are you allowed to have them.

Congrats to all banded in the past few days.

I think I am having my first "stuck" episode or something close to it. I had refried Beans (about 1/2 cup) and apple sauce (1/4 cup) about 4 hours ago. I don't know if I ate too much, or too fast, but I feel like there is a rock in my chest that won't go away. It won't budge. I've been walking & sipping Water for a couple hours and it's not flowing through as easily. Help!! Has anyone experienced this yet??

I can't tell when I am hungry or full yet, and I have been eyeball measuring my food... Stupid me. I am using 1/2 cup measuring cups starting tomorrow and timing myself. I start soft foods on Sunday and I'm worried.

I was told by a 3yr veteran to put ur hands above ur head and walk at the same time Lol hope it helps

I'm scheduled to go in May 25.

Hi all

I was banded on 14th May and at 6 days post op, I'm down 5kgs (11 pounds). Finally able to sleep on my right side but not for long. Pain is pretty good with today being the first day with no painkillers.

I'm walking well and the Fluid diet is ok. Sneezing and coughing hurt (I have a cold:( ) but I'm not too uncomfortable. I'm tired and need naps. There still a little bit of gas trapped under my diaphragm which is helped with a wheat bag.

I'm having clear fruit juice diluted 50/50 with Water about 1.5l a day and 3 Protein Shakes a day. Sometimes I'll have Soup too. Desperate to chew something!

Oh and I finally had a BM today. Phew! :)

This forum is a godsend! Cheers everyone.

DaisyChains,

Hello. Did your doctor recommend the foods you listed? Many of them I would not consider mushies even if you put them in the blender. They will be too heavy for your pouch. Remember the band has new stiches holding it in place. If the food is too heavy it will pull on the stiches and possibly break them! First week of mushies i was only allowed yogurt (did have fruited variety that I minced with a hand blender), low fat/cal ricotta or cottage cheese (did get herb or pinapple varieties). I was not allowed canned chicken or egg whites until week 4. I would consider fish, and chicken patties a solid and would not eat them until week 5.

Kiwjo, straining a can of Soup is a nice change. Also stock has a lot more flavor than broth. Also straining chinese take out Soups would be nice as well.

Natalie was you also told no skin on fruit? I was also told no corn' date=' broccoli or cauliflower. I love these vegetables, are you allowed to have them.[/quote']

I was told the same, no skins and well cooked. I am gonna do steamed and canned.

I was told by a 3yr veteran to put ur hands above ur head and walk at the same time Lol hope it helps

Lol' date=' thank you! Walking really helped. I also ready pineapple juice helps breaks food up and it worked like a charm.

DaisyChains,

Hello. Did your doctor recommend the foods you listed? Many of them I would not consider mushies even if you put them in the blender. They will be too heavy for your pouch. Remember the band has new stiches holding it in place. If the food is too heavy it will pull on the stiches and possibly break them! First week of mushies i was only allowed yogurt (did have fruited variety that I minced with a hand blender), low fat/cal ricotta or cottage cheese (did get herb or pinapple varieties). I was not allowed canned chicken or egg whites until week 4. I would consider fish, and chicken patties a solid and would not eat them until week 5.

Hi Honk. Every doctor seems to have a different timeline. But yes my doctor recommended those foods and gave me a specific timeline which I've been following to a tee. It says on my instructions I can have eggs, chili, moist meats with sauces such as ground turkey, fish, crab, canned chicken, lean deli meat, lite canned fruit or veggies without skin. I just have to mash everything with my fork for about a week and have it 1/4 cup at a time.

It's crazy how every doctor differs. I wasn't allowed shredded meats, fruits or veggies at the puréed stage. I can start having that as of tomorrow. I bought strawberry yogurt, turkey patties, garlic tilapia, deli meat, sweet potato, canned green Beans, oatmeal, diced peaches (lite syrup) and some berries. I may try chili too.

The binder my nutritionist gave me says I can have up to 1 cup in a sitting, once on soft foods. I also verified that w/ her in person. But considering i had a miserable evening after doing close to 3/4 cup of Beans, im gonna take it 1/4 cup at a time. I REALLY do not want to overeat and hurt myself.

Lala - With puréed, everything has to be applesauce consistency in a blender. Soft foods are things that are moist, or mashed, and easy to chew down.

It is interesting how each doctor is different. I wonder if they have ever done any research to see which post-op diet is most effective? I would think that would be hard to measure because so much of the success is dependant on our use of the band as a tool. Some may want the band to do the work for them and lose less, whereas others work with the band and lose more and then there is the exercise factor.

I was allowed to eat soft foods from day 3 on and regular consistancy on day 5, but I am heavily carb restricted for the first year- only 25-50 net carbs per day. So, no mashed potatoes for me.

Beans did not sit well with me either. I had 1/2 cup of pinto beans Friday and I had gas pains the rest of the day. I do think I will try them again in a week or two. Seems like most everything gives me gas pains though. The most amt of food I have been able to get down at any one sitting is about 3/4 cup- and I was very full. I'm like you- I don't want to do anything to mess this up or stretch my pouch.

Hello All,

Day 7 after surgery for me and I can progress to "Soft Foods". My doctor's plan has always been less than 30g per day of non-vegetable carbs. No breads, pastas, rice. Focus on fish, cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, and egg substitutes.

I have been scouring the internet for baked egg recipes. I have selection of ramekins - any where from 3-6 oz and plan to look for recipes that I can use them. A perfect portion size.

I still have the opposite of constipation...but doing well otherwise.

Good luck and best wishes to all that have surgery next week !

Nita