Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honey I'm Home :)

Sign in to follow this  

Hi Springers!

Sorry for being out of the loop for the last few days. I was hoping Mexico would have a good net connection but it didn't. They had one but it was so slow I couldn't keep my focus.

YEP, I'm banded! The surgery went great. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's all wonderful. I'm sore and been uncomfortable for the last few days but each morning I wake up and it's better.

The surgery itself only took about 15 minutes, or so I was told. I wanted to get up immediately to go the bathroom and get myself walking. I heard the more you walk, the faster they release you. My surgery was at 9:00 and we were back to the hotel by 2:00. The first day I spent walking, sitting, and laying around. I think I was looking for a place to get comfortable. My shoulders hurt like hell. I was lucky enough to have a very good friend along who was willing to rub my shoulders. He was truly a blessing. I would maybe suggest one of the shoulder massage machines if you have one. I think the motion breaks up the gas faster. I am still sleeping with a heating pad.

The first night I slept with pain meds and did ok, You don't want to move around much as rolling over pulls on the incisions. At one point it hurt so much I thought I had pulled open one of my incisions but later discovered it's not the incision that actually hurts, it's the port which is just under my belly fat. I'm sure it's secured in the muscle and when you move a certain way it pull on the port line. No Bueno!

I'm on day 4th day now and have to say other than body aches and pains, the port area is the only thing that hurts.

Bloating or jiggly fat!. OMG! I'm really not sure it's bloating but I look like a very fat frog. I have NO muscle control of my tummy and it's extended. It just sits there. No sucking it in for me now. I keep wondering if it's still gas or just lack of muscle control. Either way... loose gym pants and t-shirts are a must. I haven't taken any pain meds since the second night but I am taking Advil twice a day. Advil seems to be working better for the body aches anyway and I've heard sometimes the pain meds slows things down.

So my food and weight. I've been put on a 7 day clear liquid diet followed by a 14 days liquid diet (I can add yogurt and Protein after the first 7). I had one cup of broth the first day with juice and Water, and added Jello and a Popsicle yesterday. I'm not really hungry but know I need to stay hydrated. I haven't lost any weight since the surgery and for some reason that doesn't surprise me yet. I still feel very puffy and know it will change over the next few weeks.

I hope everyone is doing well. Please feel free to ask me ANYTHING. I'm still off for the next few days recovering so I'll be around more now.

The bloating in the belly is common. When in surgery, they blow you up like a pregnant lady. I was fairly normal after surgery, but some said they looked pregnant for a few days after.

The port pain will go away soon. It seems to me that after a week, my port pain was pretty much gone. Now I don't have any at all and the incision over my port has healed, so I can feel my port (affectionately called my port baby).

Where in Mexico did you get banded? That was my option if insurance did not approve me.

I used Dr. Ortiz and honestly can't say one bad thing about my entire experience in Mexico. Everyone from the driver to the nurses were top notch! Thanks for the info on the belly fat & bloating. I'm not going out anywhere for a few days so I'm not real worried about looking like a blob.

Scorpiolady are you on myfitnesspal. If so I'd love to add you as I'm getting banded the 17th.

Congratulations Julz!! Im so happy to hear things went smoothly for you and you are recovering nicely!! How nice that you had a good friend with you!!

So happy to hear that everything went well for you. With my surgery on Monday as well, I must admit that I didn't have much gas but it sounds like there is a battle going on in my stomach. Please note that the pain around the port is the greatest right now and I take my pain meds at least once a day around 11 so that when it is time for bed I just deal with it. Trying to sip 2 ounces every hour in addition to the Water is hard. But what I have found to help is the sparkling flavor water from Walmart. Unfortunately I can't have Jello but the broths, gatorade, popsicles and water are my best friends until Sunday. But let me tell you that I made a mistake and drunk to much and OMG my chest was hurting. I waited for about 20 minutes before I had anything else. As my bariatric coordinator stated, sipping is important since my baby stomach only holds 1/2 cup of food at a time. Trust me I am learning each day.

So happy to hear that everything went well for you. With my surgery on Monday as well, I must admit that I didn't have much gas but it sounds like there is a battle going on in my stomach. Please note that the pain around the port is the greatest right now and I take my pain meds at least once a day around 11 so that when it is time for bed I just deal with it. Trying to sip 2 ounces every hour in addition to the Water is hard. But what I have found to help is the sparkling flavor water from Walmart. Unfortunately I can't have Jello but the broths, gatorade, popsicles and water are my best friends until Sunday. But let me tell you that I made a mistake and drunk to much and OMG my chest was hurting. I waited for about 20 minutes before I had anything else. As my bariatric coordinator stated, sipping is important since my baby stomach only holds 1/2 cup of food at a time. Trust me I am learning each day.

Be careful with the sparkling waters, as I do believe they are carbonated. I personally love Safeway's cherry sparkling water, but have not chanced it yet :)

Thank you all.  Yes my tummy sounds like it's grown a very loud baby. Growling all the time. I've never heard such a ruckus coming from my own tummy.

Today I'm hungry.  Not sure why other than I just have the desire to taste food. However, following Dr's orders. My biggest fear right now is blowing the band and causing it to slip before it heals into place.  I've never be able to do a fast in my entire life so going 4 days without anything but Clear Liquids is quite an accomplishment for me. Still a little sore, but each day gets better. As of this morning I was up 2 lbs since my surgery but I'm sure that's Water weight and will drop quickly when I get rid of all the excess gas and water.

I do find I'm having a hard time staying focused on things. Like simple chores, doing paper work, answering emails and so on. Maybe lack of food? Glad I took off a few days.  I will get on MFP and will let everyone know my user name soon.  

Thank you again for all the support I get from our group.  Ya'll are awesome!

j~

sure have missed you Julz, Glad everythinks when ok. just keep posting so we know how your doing

Hi Springers!

Sorry for being out of the loop for the last few days. I was hoping Mexico would have a good net connection but it didn't. They had one but it was so slow I couldn't keep my focus.

YEP, I'm banded! The surgery went great. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's all wonderful. I'm sore and been uncomfortable for the last few days but each morning I wake up and it's better.

The surgery itself only took about 15 minutes, or so I was told. I wanted to get up immediately to go the bathroom and get myself walking. I heard the more you walk, the faster they release you. My surgery was at 9:00 and we were back to the hotel by 2:00. The first day I spent walking, sitting, and laying around. I think I was looking for a place to get comfortable. My shoulders hurt like hell. I was lucky enough to have a very good friend along who was willing to rub my shoulders. He was truly a blessing. I would maybe suggest one of the shoulder massage machines if you have one. I think the motion breaks up the gas faster. I am still sleeping with a heating pad.

The first night I slept with pain meds and did ok, You don't want to move around much as rolling over pulls on the incisions. At one point it hurt so much I thought I had pulled open one of my incisions but later discovered it's not the incision that actually hurts, it's the port which is just under my belly fat. I'm sure it's secured in the muscle and when you move a certain way it pull on the port line. No Bueno!

I'm on day 4th day now and have to say other than body aches and pains, the port area is the only thing that hurts.

Bloating or jiggly fat!. OMG! I'm really not sure it's bloating but I look like a very fat frog. I have NO muscle control of my tummy and it's extended. It just sits there. No sucking it in for me now. I keep wondering if it's still gas or just lack of muscle control. Either way... loose gym pants and t-shirts are a must. I haven't taken any pain meds since the second night but I am taking Advil twice a day. Advil seems to be working better for the body aches anyway and I've heard sometimes the pain meds slows things down.

So my food and weight. I've been put on a 7 day clear liquid diet followed by a 14 days liquid diet (I can add yogurt and Protein after the first 7). I had one cup of broth the first day with juice and Water, and added Jello and a Popsicle yesterday. I'm not really hungry but know I need to stay hydrated. I haven't lost any weight since the surgery and for some reason that doesn't surprise me yet. I still feel very puffy and know it will change over the next few weeks.

I hope everyone is doing well. Please feel free to ask me ANYTHING. I'm still off for the next few days recovering so I'll be around more now.

congratulations !! now you will feel better each day. How was the trip?? did you find it was easy coming home?

If you mean coming back into the States from Mexico.  YES!  The driver for Dr. Ortiz has a system in place to get you across as quickly as possible.  Took us less than an hour to get across.  I go to Mexico quit a bit and have to say it was a breeze.  I've spent hours sitting in line before and wasn't looking forward to it but they had us across quickly.  It was awesome.  I had a 6 hr drive home to Phx and that wasn't too bad either.  Just rested.

Getting better each day.

thank you

If you mean coming back into the States from Mexico. YES! The driver for Dr. Ortiz has a system in place to get you across as quickly as possible. Took us less than an hour to get across. I go to Mexico quit a bit and have to say it was a breeze. I've spent hours sitting in line before and wasn't looking forward to it but they had us across quickly. It was awesome. I had a 6 hr drive home to Phx and that wasn't too bad either. Just rested.

Getting better each day.

thank you

what a great idea that system was in place to make things easier. i imagine it must be time consuming coming back across the border. Im in Australia. I was thinking of going to Mexico for the surgery from here if i couldnt get a referral here.. fortunately i got one here. The biggest drawback for me would have been trying to maintain with fills. Our city isnt all that big. not that many drs here who do lapband.

Ok so exactly how long will I have this extended tummy?  I seriously look preggers!  NO BUENO!

Each day I'm getting better.  Still careful with my movements. If I move wrong, the port reminds me it's there.  Have a lite day at work tomorrow which is a good thing.  Will get me back into my world and get me focused on something other than food.  

One day at a time folks!  

Lady, (or anyone else for that matter)  I just figured out MFP and please me: julzinariz

Julie,

Congratulations! It's great to hear your procedure went smoothly and that you are now home and recovering!

Your "very fat frog" description made me chuckle! I feel much the same way right now after my appendectomy. Strangely, I have had no gas at all. Various medical staff members told me prior to my dismissal from the hospital that the gas component of the recovery period would likely be the most challenging. This morning I was talking with my husband about it, wondering when I would start to experience the gas so I could mentally check that one off my list. He said my surgeon had told him that barometric pressure can affect how much discomfort one experiences from the gas. This is new information to me that I plan to ask about at my follow-up visit.

Hope you continue to improve every single day!

Julie,

Congratulations! It's great to hear your procedure went smoothly and that you are now home and recovering!

Your "very fat frog" description made me chuckle! I feel much the same way right now after my appendectomy. Strangely, I have had no gas at all. Various medical staff members told me prior to my dismissal from the hospital that the gas component of the recovery period would likely be the most challenging. This morning I was talking with my husband about it, wondering when I would start to experience the gas so I could mentally check that one off my list. He said my surgeon had told him that barometric pressure can affect how much discomfort one experiences from the gas. This is new information to me that I plan to ask about at my follow-up visit.

Hope you continue to improve every single day!

now this IS interesting. lol.. Our barometric pressure has just dropped to billio... its very gusty wind and showers here. Im suffering with gas in my left shoulder today. it hasnt been around in a while. Im 17 days post op now.