Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Pop Ever. Really?

Went for my first appointment with the dietician yesterday. I was aware of most of what she was going to tell me from reading everyone's posts so not too many surprises. However the one that really threw me was she said you can never drink carbonated beverages with the band or it will stretch your pouch. I am not a huge pop drinker but I usually have 2 diet cokes per day. One with lunch and one with dinner. I know you cannot drink while eating and I already think this will be one of my hardest hurdles.

The thought of never drinking any pop ever, for the rest of my life! kind of freaked me out. I know I should not be looking for ways to cheat even before I am banded but I was wondering if everyone gets told this. I know different doctors have different rules so I was curious.

My husband said something to the effect of, well you did this to yourself. Not those exact words but it sure didn't help. Men say the stupidest things sometimes.

Most doctors say no carbination. You will see people on here that still drink soda. I had stopped drinking soda when out long before banding because of the cost! I was unemployed and soda at a restaurant was $2.00-2.50. Unbelieveable.

I have to say I don't really miss it. I can hear your eyes rolling. Seriously. I don't miss it. I did however drink soda right up to the last minute.

I would get a jar after being banded and everytime you have a soda craving put a dollar in the jar. After a month see how much money you have in the jar. You will probably have enough money for a new shirt.

I used to be a Diet Pepsi-aholic! I would have a DP first thing in the morning when I woke up, and would have five or six during the course of a day.

I've not had one single drink of a carbonated beverage since January 18 (the day I started my pre-op diet) and am happy to say I really haven't missed it. I have replaced my DP with hot tea in the morning and iced tea or Crystal Light during the day. Also, with all the Water you're supposed to drink, plus not drinking with meals, it would be hard to fit in any carbonated beverages!

I avoid carbonation like the plague. Not only is my surgeon really against it, but carbonation hurts my pouch and gives me shoulder pain. No thanks!

I avoid Pop Big time after I went and tried it a few times!! It had me blowing busters like crazy!!

You know how a plastic bottel of soda feels when you buy it? How you can push on the plastic and there is some give in it. Now remember that day when you dropped the bottel and when you pick it up how it has expanded and is now hard as a rock. Now we all know what happens if you just open the bottel right away....how it spews everywhere.....where do you think all that extra gas is going to go when its in your belly?

NOT a good idea. Not worth messing things up for a soda.

I drink pop, but it is mainly fountain pop with ice so it gets watered down. Pop is something I've NEVER been able to give up. I don't drink very much of it, but I do have it. I make sure to have the proper Protein, etc in my diet and if I achieve that, then will allow myself a soda. No, they don't want you to have it, but it is do-able. A little goes a long way. Just gets the craving off my mind. and I am a successful bander as well.

My Dr. And dietician said I can have soda, but pour it over ice and let it sit. I'm a diet mt dew addict, but I have had very little since being banded. Once or twice. I do coffee and Water with mio in it, or tea with truvia.

I have been a diet coke fanatic as long as I can remember. At one point, I was up to a 12 pack A DAY!! I have really cut down on how much I drink, but even with my band I still drink a little. I only want it about once a week now, and then I have it over ice, or let it sit open for about an hour so some of the carbonation dies down. If I drink it right after opening it, I burp for about 2 hours....no joke. I have found that I LOVE Arizona Green Tea, and even found the tea bags so I can make it myself with splenda or the pink stuff.

I was like you, thought that I could NEVER give up my soda....but, it really does happen, even though its subtle. I am still working on breaking my habit of ordering a diet coke whenever I have the option of someting to drink. thats my hard habit to break

I had my 3rd fill on Monday, and my first diet coke since that fill, today...I can tell you, it does not feel good! I am much tighter and the carbonation is uncomfortable. I put it in the fridge and made my tea. That way I am not miserable all day at work.

You need to change your mindset about carbonated drinks....if you feel that you are making sacrifices, your change will not last. If you make a concious choice that you want to drink something that is healthier for you, it becomes so much easier.

My doc told me no carbonation too. I loved diet 7up but haven't drank any since I started my pre-op diet and that was in Jan! I have not missed it.

You may think you won't be able to do it but you will surprise yourself! Good luck!

My doc also said no carbonation. It stretches your stomach out due to the bubbles, just like white rice. The issue is if you don't stop drinking it, your band will eventually, years down the road, be unable to help you anymore because it can only be adjusted so much. I cut it out totally a year ago, and I was a 2 soda a day at least kinda gal. At first it was so hard, I could smell the bubbles from a mile away. Now - so glad I gave it up bc I know how it helps my weight loss. Beer, I do miss sometimes though. But since we can't eat & drink at the same time anyway, Id almost always rather eat. Haha. Good luck.

I used to be a Diet Pepsi-aholic! I would have a DP first thing in the morning when I woke up, and would have five or six during the course of a day.

I've not had one single drink of a carbonated beverage since January 18 (the day I started my pre-op diet) and am happy to say I really haven't missed it. I have replaced my DP with hot tea in the morning and iced tea or Crystal Light during the day. Also, with all the Water you're supposed to drink, plus not drinking with meals, it would be hard to fit in any carbonated beverages!

I totally agree with that!!!

I have been a diet coke fanatic as long as I can remember. At one point, I was up to a 12 pack A DAY!! I have really cut down on how much I drink, but even with my band I still drink a little. I only want it about once a week now, and then I have it over ice, or let it sit open for about an hour so some of the carbonation dies down. If I drink it right after opening it, I burp for about 2 hours....no joke. I have found that I LOVE Arizona Green Tea, and even found the tea bags so I can make it myself with splenda or the pink stuff.

I was like you, thought that I could NEVER give up my soda....but, it really does happen, even though its subtle. I am still working on breaking my habit of ordering a diet coke whenever I have the option of someting to drink. thats my hard habit to break

I had my 3rd fill on Monday, and my first diet coke since that fill, today...I can tell you, it does not feel good! I am much tighter and the carbonation is uncomfortable. I put it in the fridge and made my tea. That way I am not miserable all day at work.

You need to change your mindset about carbonated drinks....if you feel that you are making sacrifices, your change will not last. If you make a concious choice that you want to drink something that is healthier for you, it becomes so much easier.

I love your last sentence. That can go for anything we want to eat. I will remember that when making choices.

I was a pop addict, too. However, I've not had a single one since surgery and my roommate in the hospital made sure I never will again.

She was in there because she had been regularly drinking pop and prolapsed her band. Yes, the carbonation not only expanded her pouch but actually prolapsed her band. She was in there to have to new band put in. She also gained 40 pounds during that time as well.

Hearing her story was enough to scare me from ever drinking carbonation again. It's just not worth the risk.

I gave up soda a couple days prior to surgery. I am now drinking Diet snapples, G2 gatorade, or Powerade zero if I want something other than Water.< /p>