Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled For April 12Th!

Hi everyone! Background on me... My name is Nichole and I am 31. I am on day two of my Pre-op diet. I am 4'11" and a half :) and 234 lbs....heaviest I've ever been. My insurance wont pay for the surgery so my husband, bless his heart, pulled some of the $ out of his retirement, to help pay for the surgery. Im sooo excited. My question so I can start preparing...is it 3 weeks of more Protein Shakes (& that's it?) Post surgery? I want to get all the stuff now for after and my preop visit is on the 10th so i know I'll get all the info then but that doesn't give me a lot of time to prepare. Any info on post op diet would help. Thanks!!

Welcome! Your post op diet depends on your doctor... I find that I have quickly grown bored of shakes... And I've had to mix it up. If you lay in three weeks worth you may end up stocked up on something you can't ever stomach one more drop of!

I am not banded yet but I am in preparation mode, LOL. I am trying every Protein Shake under the sun to see what I like and what is going to work for me. That includes the Soups, clear powders, and shakes. I learned the hard way and spend $60 on a bag of banana flavored Protein Powder that I reallllllly hate. I found a Protein shake on the walmart.com site called "Pure Protein" got the chocolate brand and absolutely love it! Only paid $17.88 for it. I purcahsed a few boxes of cream of brocoli protein soups from Biwise. I just keep testing to see what I like. Everyones taste is different, so you really need to keep sampling till you find something. Um, everyone says to stock up on sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, and sugar free popcicles. Oh, I purchased a 8 cup food processor from walmart.com, spent about $39 it works perfect, can't complain so far.... Best of luck!

Jay Robb is usually said to be the best tasting whey Protein. I stocked up on a lot of broths before my surgery, and drank a minimal amount of them. I also stocked up on yogurt, which I was not able to eat fast enough.

Definitely try the sugar free Jello pudding cups, they have some nice flavors. Make sure you have a heating pad and adult liquid tylenol.

Yogurt...great! Adult Tylenol...didnt know they made that...so no pills of any kind post surgery?

Hi everyone! Background on me... My name is Nichole and I am 31. I am on day two of my Pre-op diet. I am 4'11" and a half :) and 234 lbs....heaviest I've ever been. My insurance wont pay for the surgery so my husband, bless his heart, pulled some of the $ out of his retirement, to help pay for the surgery. Im sooo excited. My question so I can start preparing...is it 3 weeks of more Protein Shakes (& that's it?) Post surgery? I want to get all the stuff now for after and my preop visit is on the 10th so i know I'll get all the info then but that doesn't give me a lot of time to prepare. Any info on post op diet would help. Thanks!!

your hubbie sounds like he is a very special man. he truly is. if you take time and read up from the forum, and keep an exercise book, like i did, you get get heaps of info from here. i was on here weeks before i had the band, and it helped me no end to understand everything. im very grateful for everyones input, i really am. its so supportive and everyone cares. you couldnt do better than make this your second home for a while. lol.

^Thank you for your response. I am so glad I found this forum....it has answered a lot of questions...I educated myself before this but this forum has helped fill in the gaps. I think Ill be coming on for a while. :)

It seems that everyone has very different pre and post op requirements do check with your healthcare team before stocking up! I was on step two (mushies) the day after surgery and bought a cheap food processor that allowed me to eat chilli and all types of beans...liquid Tylenol was helpful and some folks swear by gas x strips but I didn't experience any gas pains and my hubby who is also banded had gas but said they didn't work for him...good luck to you:)

Hi. My surgery date is also April 12th. My doc said I won't have to do my preop diet til the 5th or 1 wk before my surgery. It was just all liquids. I thank God my insurance is paying for the surgery or I probably would've gone to Mexcio to get it for much cheaper. I was looking on the internet for Protein Shakes and there's a lot of them out there. So, if at first I don't succeed I'll try try again. Anyway, I hope we can keep in touch to encourge each other and check on our progress. Good luck and God bless!

Hello, that's cool...same date. I have to do two weeks of 2 shakes and one high Protein meal per day. I went shopping for shakes today...i bought several different kinds so hopefully they'll all be good. So far the EAS strawberry and chocolate (carb control) are good....and the pure protein vanilla is good as well. I did not like the Muscle Milk Lite...had a weird taste. I also bought Jello and pudding at Hi-Health that have a lot of protein in them. Stocked up on regular sugar free jello, pudding and cottage cheese as well. It will be here before we know it.... i still need to get some chewable or liquid vitamins as well. Let me know if you find some yummy shakes and let's keep in touch. :)

All I can say is get you a blender and start practicing slow eating now so that you will be used to it post op. Good luck!