Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advise! I have cheated 8 days post-op.

Hello fellow bandsters!! i have a dillema...:help: I have cheated after only 8 days post-op. I have no restriction what so ever, I have lost 9 lbs so far. I was banded on 2/10/06. But I have not been able to loose anymore weight. I have not been able to stay on full liquids and soft foods. I do liquids all day but I then I cheat at dinner time. I am scared that my band could have eroded since I have not taken care of it. Any advise or comments are greatly appreciated. I can't wait for a fill. Hopefully i can see a difference as far as restriction. bye for now.. Lillster

Hello fellow bandsters!! i have a dillema...:help: I have cheated after only 8 days post-op. I have no restriction what so ever, I have lost 9 lbs so far. I was banded on 2/10/06. But I have not been able to loose anymore weight. I have not been able to stay on full liquids and soft foods. I do liquids all day but I then I cheat at dinner time. I am scared that my band could have eroded since I have not taken care of it. Any advise or comments are greatly appreciated. I can't wait for a fill. Hopefully i can see a difference as far as restriction. bye for now.. Lillster
can a band erode after only 8 days????do you mean slip????

Lillster, first of all I don't think you need to be disappointed or worried about your weight. The first six weeks isn't about weight loss. It's about healing and letting your band get settled in as the swelling on your tummy goes down. Most of us put on a few pounds right after surgery, and again when we change from liquids to more solid foods - even mushies. This is very natural. So nevermind the weight loss for now ok? Anything you experience is a bonus!

From what I've read and been told, what you eat isn't likely to cause erosion. However, do really be careful about eating foods that aren't kind to your tender swollen tummy right now. You could cause the band to slip out of its place by forcing things thru it that it's not ready for.

Go over this checklist if you are having a hard time feeling full between eating times.

Are you eating enough Protein? Min of 60 grams per day?

Are you eating your Protein first? Not filling up on carbs first and letting the protein go by uneaten? Proteins take longer to break down in the stomach so you feel full longer.

Are you drinking fluids with your meals? If so, then you are washing the food thru the stomach and not allowing it to stay in your pouch to give you that fullness you need.

Right now, your not supposed to be feeling any restriction. Most likely, you can eat as you always have, but that doesn't mean you should. This is only for a few more weeks and you're options for foods will increase greatly. To ensure the success of your operation and post op healing, take control of your situation and be good to yourself. There's plenty of time to eat the other stuff later on.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on how you're doing ok?

Lillster -

Erosion??? 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% NOT. Maybe even more than that. lol

Here's the scoop about the post-op recommended menus:

MOST docs have a liquid stage, a mushy stage, and then regular foods as tolerated.

It is important to follow your doctor's guidelines as closely as possible, because the sutures holding the band in place need to heal and create clean scar tissue. Interrupting/disrupting the process by making the stomach work (it's just a big muscle, churning around to move food through) to digest food risks irritating/tearing/disrupting the sutures, creating an increased possibility of slippage later on down the road.

Think of a knee with a cut - if you keep flexing it the cut keeps pulling open, and then it taks longer to heal, and may not heal cleanly.

With your swelling going down you are undoubtedly feeling ravenous - and you will until you start getting fills.

PLEASE follow your docs post op diet as closely as possible, and if you absolutely feel you cannot please call him and ask for suggestions.

With all that being said, a handful of docs don't seem to have post-op diet restrictions, but INAMED does, and it makes sense to my mind logically (which doesn't mean it's that much more true, but means that I personally am more likely to follow the "rules" as much as possible... lol)

Donali,

Is erosion that early on possible??I'm 3 weeks post-op and still real swollen.What do you feel is best for wounds? my glue is coming off and I've been using mederma and vit E out of the caplets?

Thanks Tina

Is erosion that early on possible??

Is it possible? ?????

Is it likely? NO

I'm not a wound expert. There was another thread recently about someone accidently tearing off their steri strip, and it was recommended to them to:

1. call their doc

2. use bacitracin

3. cover with a bandaid

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15307

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15308

Sorry to not be of more help! :confused:

edited to say:

Uh, were you asking more about scar reduction type stuff as opposed to infection/healing type stuff??? It occured to me that I may have misinterpreted your question.

For scar reduction, I have heard both of the items you're using highly recommended. :confused:

Sit down, relax!

I can't say "we" all made the same mistakes, but I do know that I did. I had a couple of bad food choices early on. It is never to late to start over..... Make this the new moment! Decide to stop making bad choices and start again. Remember.. Just for today. If that is to much ... Just for the moment.

You can do it!

Thank you guys so much for the advise and comments. This is exaclty why I love this website. I am really going to listen to your inputs and start over. Yes, and I meant slippage not erosion.

I have no restriction what so ever, I have lost 9 lbs so far. I was banded on 2/10/06. But I have not been able to loose anymore weight.

Of course you will not have restriction..you have no fill yet, restriction comes with fills. Losing weight will come with restriction so until you start to get your fills try not to get discouraged, remember the band was designed to work its best when filled...right now weigt loss is a bonus during this pre fill stage..heal up and the get your fills and then worry about weight loss...do not cheat any more..you do not want to risk slippage..eating too soon beforee you have healed properely is not wise, this is why your Dr. gave you a post op diet to follow.. Hang in there :confused:

Focus on healing right now, not weight loss -- don't beat yourself up over bad choices, just resolve to make better ones tomorrow. Healing now and setting the right patterns will help you in the coming months with weight loss. Don't try to test your band or push it to see what you CAN eat, try to eat only what you need to. If you are eating because you are HUNGY then eat Protein --shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt if allowed. If you eat the softest and highest protein foods you can find, you will be doing your band good AND your body & hopefully mind will be more sated with the higher protein. My Dr allowed such things during liquid phase -- check with yours. I am sure your band is fine for now, but let your body heal and let everything settle in. Now is not a time to be pushing the limits.....you got the surgery because you wanted to change your old habits, right? Let the band help you do just that.

Don't feel bad I cheated too. I just had to get my head straight before I could let my band work. Tomorrow is a new day so good luck.

Hell, I had a tuna salad sandwich by week two. I hated myself for it, then I realized that it was probably pretty stupid for me to eat it and that I just put myself through surgery and why did I make that choice to eat that!!!

I am sooo glad I read this. I was getting carried away just a little. I am hungry about every 2 hours and it is driving me crazy. Kennedy 927 you cracked me up with your tuna sandwich. I went to lunch 8 days out (La Madelines) figured I could have some of their wonderful Soup. Well the bread sticks looked great and the quiche looked fabulous. It was really the flacky crusts I was looking at! I ate the soup and just a little piece of the breadstick. Took the quiche back with me. My friend had a salmon pastry thing with a wonderful crust. I ate the crust. Took some back with me. Was feeling really cocky. Oooh "they" said I couldn't eat bread and I did and it went down just fine. Then I read these posts!!! :scared: I deceided I better slow back down! But it sure did taste good.

Im surprised the food even

Denog Im surprised the food even went down !

Perhaps I am the exception but even after nearly a year, eating requires slow and ginger handling if that food is going to go down and stay down. I even find that I eat better alone, which is sometihing I hope will change. When I eat with other people I must be trying to pace myself like them, then the food dams up and I need to find a bathroom. It will be interesting to see how things are for you once you get your first fill