Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Gained Weight Immediately After Surgery Help!

Hi all - has anyone else had this experience, i got on the scales 2 days after surgery - as a motivator for the horrendous pain i was feeling and the scales said + 9lbs!!! So of course, being rationale, I threw the scales in the bin and........ bought another set, Guess what?...SAME result! I almost cried. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I am now day 5 post op feel a lot better then trapped wind feeling in my left shoulder and chest is easing. My incisions are a bit itchy today - which i think is a good sign no? I have the same protectiveness about my stomach as when i was pregnant - really weird!!! Let me know ur post op news

Sarah x

Weight gain after surgery is normal from all that sailine they pump you full of. Drink lots of Water and it will be gone in no time

Hi Sarah, I'm 3 days post op and I was disappointed to find I was up 2 lbs. But from what I read on here that's totally normal with the gas they pump into us and all the iv fluids. My nurse was concerned because I wasn't going to the bathroom very much with all the fluids I was getting.

I have to hold my stomach when I get up for the first few minutes. I think I might be getting a slight gas feeling in my left shoulder up to my neck. I'm using a heating pad on it right now. It's not painful so far. Hope your recovery continues to go well, take care! Deb

U also have swelling as well. Going up is no big deal

thanks all - so glad it isn't just me - thought i might be the only person on this earth who this wont work for!

Yes, itches are good as long as the incisions are not red and irritated. The weight gain is normal, as folks said - my nurse told me not to freak out. Hope the gas is moving, and your Water starts to go down!

Deb - for me the only cure for the wind was walking loads - slowly but often and blaming the dog a lot - obviously! Peppermint tea is meant to help with wind too hope this helps

Hello Sarah,

Weight gain after surgery is normal, you should not be weighing in at this time can be discouraging. My first weigh in was at my post-op appt. I am 3 weeks out and still have a lot of gas, its easy to pass so I am no longer using the gas-x unless its really necessary. Itchy scar means healing, good sign. Stomach protectiveness I feel the same way, I guard mine daily and let no one touch it lol. Try focusing on healing and not weight during this phase. Welcome to the other side, good luck on your journey into becoming a healthier you.

Thanks Pollyanna - you too!!

I am so glad you brought this up! I was banded on the 19th and lost about 8 lbs. I wasn't drinking hardly anything bc I was afraid to gain. Well the last two days I've drank my Protein and Soups, and gained back 3 lbs. I am a lil disappointed in this. But from everything I've read on here, we are not supposed to be losing until we are off the post op diets and on to our new lapband eating habits! Good Luck to you.

thanks Ready4change and yes i am ridiculously excited about this journey and feel like after supportinf the diet industry so well in the past 20 years i have earnt the right to to eliminate this constant battle. I know it wont be easy but i want a challenge rather than a battle. Best of luck to you

My surgeon said the first weeks is about looking after the band, not so much about losing weight!!! you are waiting for all the swelling to go down, you have so much gas build up and Fluid retention as well....be gentle on yourself. Your band needs time to settle in, get the scar tissue around it and then off you will go....i lost 4kg in the first weeks....mainly coz they forget to give me any fill!! but with your fluid intake its about being gentle on the band atm!!! thinking of you and good luck on your journey!!

Hi all - has anyone else had this experience, i got on the scales 2 days after surgery - as a motivator for the horrendous pain i was feeling and the scales said + 9lbs!!! So of course, being rationale, I threw the scales in the bin and........ bought another set, Guess what?...SAME result! I almost cried. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I am now day 5 post op feel a lot better then trapped wind feeling in my left shoulder and chest is easing. My incisions are a bit itchy today - which i think is a good sign no? I have the same protectiveness about my stomach as when i was pregnant - really weird!!! Let me know ur post op news

Sarah x

thats rough that you have the extra weight on right now.. .there has to be a good reason for it though. im sure it will go as quickly as it came.

my incisions are a bit itchy as well. i think i have a bit of a reaction to the dressings... i think i read somewhere that they start to fall off around day 4? is that right.? ive lost the dressing from the top incision and had to put a bandaid on that two days ago. im trying to shower without getting that area wet, its not easy.

My surgeon said the first weeks is about looking after the band, not so much about losing weight!!! you are waiting for all the swelling to go down, you have so much gas build up and Fluid retention as well....be gentle on yourself. Your band needs time to settle in, get the scar tissue around it and then off you will go....i lost 4kg in the first weeks....mainly coz they forget to give me any fill!! but with your Fluid intake its about being gentle on the band atm!!! thinking of you and good luck on your journey!!

You are undoubtedly right! The problem is all my research went into the actual op and food - not into the post op symtoms etc - so felt a tad dispondant - but i am feeling better every day and walked 4,000 steps this morning (looked like had marrow stuffed up bum!) - so am happyyyy!!!!