Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Would You Recommend At A Restaurant?!

Once again I hope this is not a stupid question, but I will be starting solids next and it just happens to be my birthday!!(Day 3 of solids) I found out that it is at a greek restaurant..Nobody really knows that I have had this done, so does anyone have any suggestions that may go down easy?? I was looking for Soup but it is not their specialty...

fish

hummus

lamb

just cut it small

chew chew chew

concentrate on what your eating.

one thing i do at all times no matter what part of journey i am on is i ask for a take a way container and take half off my plate immediatly. If anyone asks just say you are trying to to eat less. Or your not very hungry today. Then change subject cause everyone likes to talk about themselves so they will let you change the subject.

Stay away from the rice!!

HAppy Birthday

Have fun

Wendy

Sounds great, thank you for the birthday wishes too!! I just didnt want to panic..and right now the smallest things are making me panic!!!

this is me, but baked potatoes work for me

Once again I hope this is not a stupid question, but I will be starting solids next and it just happens to be my birthday!!(Day 3 of solids) I found out that it is at a greek restaurant..Nobody really knows that I have had this done, so does anyone have any suggestions that may go down easy?? I was looking for Soup but it is not their specialty...

Only you can answer that question base upon your own experience on what you can or cannot eat.

I always attempt to play it safe when dining out, having been stuck too many times at a public restaurant I have learned the hard way.

But what I cannot eat, you may be able too and vice versa based upon how much restriction you may or may not have.

When I first came off liquids to solids, there was nothing I could not eat because I had zero restriction. It was all about dieting and had nothing to do with the band.

Thanks, It will only be day two or three, and would hate right in the middle of my dinner, struggle with something...Learning as I go..I think I am understanding more and more..I appreciate this!!! I find know, 2.5 weeks out my hunger is increasing too..but sticking to my doctors diet!! Thank you!

I would think you could just about eat anything since you don't have much restriction yet. Just take it slow. I know I was able to eat any and everything I wanted up until like the 4th fill.

I have finally gotten into the habit of telling the server no extra butter, sauces etc. Man, I love Greek food!!

I would opt for something easy like a Pasta dish or risotto. They are my go to dishes if I am not sure what else on the menu will work. Even with restriction they have never given me any problems whereas things like fish and lamb(slow cooked and very moist) have.

You are likely to be able to eat a bigger variety of foods at this point than you will be able to later on. I would choose something that is low in calories but easy to eat.So for example if you do decide to go with Pasta choose a dish with a Tomato based sauce not a cream based sauce.

Moussaka is very moist, it's usually ground beef, eggplant with a sauce. It's a greek casserole and anytime i've had it its moist but you probably wont be able to eat much. You can tell your friends your having too nice a time to eat too much.

Speaking from my own experience...stay away from the flaming cheese!!!!

I wrote a huge post yesterday on my phone and it did not post. Urggg.

Anyway here are my thoughts as a Greek chick.

If your Greek place does not make Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Soup) find a new place! Does have rice but with no restriction you should be fine.

chicken Kabobs, usually chicken and veggies would be good option. They may also have Lamb Kabobs.

They will most likely also have bone in roasted chicken seasoned with lemon.

Tzatziki- is a yogurt sauce made with dill and cucumber which would help if you think the food is good dry.

Greek garlic roasted potatos are to die for when made right.

There may be a veggies in Tomato sauce side dish (though squash and zucini are not in season right now.

Higher in fat options

Pasticho- baked Pasta with cheese- May be made with ground lamb. Personally I prefer vegetarian version no meat. But my family eats it as a side dish and not as the main meal.

Mousaka- potato and eggplant but topped with white sauce. (not my personal fav but...)

I would stay away from Spanokopita/Tiropita- What Americans call Spinach pie

Very high in fat and may get clumpy in your pouch. The phyllo can get doughy if it sits around (and many places make a large pan and then heat up individual servings when you order.

9 times out of 10 restaurant Baklava sucks, been sitting around to long and the top layers are no longer crunchy. And there is a pool of honey on the bottom. The sauce should absorb into the phyllo. If there is a huge amount in the pan they've put to much. Yes my vent of the day. Just my opinion though I am admittedly biased.

Wow!!! Awesome thank you sooo much!!!! I am hungry just reading this...I feel good now!!! Hopefully when I get to see the menu, these items are easy to spot and I dont get distracted with some of the other options.

You guys are the best!!