Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Cravings?

Sign in to follow this  

Today, is the first full day of my pre-op diet, and I've been incessantly hungry. I have been counting calories daily since January, so I'm really not doing anything differently today since I chose to count calories for my pre-op dieting method. I have tried to determine if my hunger is psychological but with my stomach growling at various times throughout the day, I've pretty much ruled that out. Maybe it's hormonal but I don't know. Is anyone else going through the same thing as they prepare for surgery?

I went walking tonight, thinking that might help reduce my desire to eat, but it didn't. However, it did keep me out of the kitchen. :rolleyes:

I'm not on the pre op diet yet ( next week ), but have had cravings.

At least you got out of the house! I'm going to vary a picture of me fat around and look at it if I want to cheat.

I'm one of those that you tell me i can't have something and thats just what i start craving.

I'm going to vary a picture of me fat around and look at it if I want to cheat.

LOL...what a good idea! Today has been more typical. Maybe it was hormonal.

Mmmm...Reese's Peanut Butter eggs! lol. Last night I uploaded a bunch of "Before" pics to this site. (Only accessible to me, I may share later.) I think smmrsue has the right idea...I should pull those up and then get myself out of the house and away from food!

ElizabethAnne - you said you were counting calories. Do you journal your food? I know I did best on my diet when I did but have had a hard time doing lately. I have tried many methods like apps on my phone and just trying to keep paper with me to write things down but for what ever reason cannot motivate myself to follow through with it for more that 24 hours at a time. Any suggestions?

Gottobeme-

The only suggestion I can give you is the keep on doing it. There are several apps you can try. I used to be the same. Logging one day, not another. I just kept at it until it became second nature. I set an alarm in my phone to remind me to do it daily. That really helped. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. Maybe I'm a slow learner, it takes double that for me it seems.

ElizabethAnne - you said you were counting calories. Do you journal your food? I know I did best on my diet when I did but have had a hard time doing lately. I have tried many methods like apps on my phone and just trying to keep paper with me to write things down but for what ever reason cannot motivate myself to follow through with it for more that 24 hours at a time. Any suggestions?

Congratulations on your weight loss! You are doing well!

When I first started in January, I journaled the old-fashioned way, writing down every single morsel I ate. However, I've become lax as time has progressed and now I simply keep a running total of my calories for the day. I have poor self-control with food so I don't allow myself much flexibility, which makes it very easy to track my daily calories.

I plan to keep a detailed food diary once I have surgery. I want a record that I can refer back to.

loseit.com is a good program and it has an app for androids and IPhone. it helps you log as you go. My pre-op diet isn't really counting calories...but more of two Protein Shakes a day and a decent dinner. I am actually counting Protein and should get in 60-80 grams a day. Seems hard to do.

I'm in 3rd day of the pre-op diet and what I do is everyday I write down what I can eat the next day and it is hanging on the fridge, also I total the calories. So far I have been between 1200 to 1300 calories a day.

Good luck to all.

loseit.com is a good program and it has an app for androids and IPhone. it helps you log as you go. My pre-op diet isn't really counting calories...but more of two Protein Shakes a day and a decent dinner. I am actually counting Protein and should get in 60-80 grams a day. Seems hard to do.

This is my pre-op diet as well. I feel bad for the other who have to do the all liquid thing so I'm not going to complain. Just need to keep my focus on the long term goal and keep the baby steps necessary to get me there.

One day at a time, right ?

This is my pre-op diet as well. I feel bad for the other who have to do the all liquid thing so I'm not going to complain. Just need to keep my focus on the long term goal and keep the baby steps necessary to get me there.

One day at a time, right ?

I have to go liquid 48 hours before surgery. The nurse said that if I don't that the doc may have to hand express my stomach if it is too full of solids and he really doesn't like to do that and it really sounds gross...so I will behave and drink just liquids...lol

Behaving is sometimes an issue for me on all levels!