Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Under The Gown Jitters!

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm curious too about my chest region... What if I said that I'd wrap some sterile gauze or an ace bandage around me to make sure that nothing up top slipped or showed? I sound crazy for wanting to take such drastic measures to stay covered but you have NO idea... lol

Do any of you think that underwear and gauze/ace bandage would be a huge deal for them to be respectful of?

Thanks! and keep the replies coming! this is helping!

All of their instruments, clothing, etc are either autoclaved or one-use sterile. I would bring up your concerns, but wearing your own clothes or wearing un-sterile bandages will break the sterile field they have established.

I don't know that a medical practice would want to allow that to happen, even though it's more than likely safe. Can you imagine the type of feedback/lawsuits they could receive if a patient contracted an infection in surgery and died? I wouldn't chance it.

Totally naked under the gown and had started my period when I woke up from surgery! So embarrassing! I wasn't supposed to start for a few more days, but surgery I'm sure brought it on.

You put a picture up, you look young! Is this your first surgery? Don't fret about the undergarment issue!

Like everyone has said, it's a professional environment and they have SEEN IT ALL!!!! I know it sounds easy, but truly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's one of those things that 'it is what it is' plus once they give you your anti-anxiety med in your IV you won't care if you're buck naked or not. ;) ;)

Ugh, when I first got there, I was told I could leave my underwear on. I was grateful b/c my monthly decided to show a few days early. Once I got to the holding area, they told me absolutely nothing. I even explained to all of them about my monthly and they said they would put a pad under me but when I woke up, I had nothing. I even found out afterwards that they in fact put a cath in! :( I am a modest person and just embarass easily so to find out I had a cath, monthly and nothing under me, oh my!

When I had to have my thyroid out I had to have a catheter and I was on my period then as well (what's up with me menstruating during surgeries!!?!? lol) and I was MORTIFIED...crying asking them to please not cath me. The nurse was wonderful and calmed me down, plus...like I just posted...they give you an anti anxiety med and I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever after that. :lol:

You put a picture up, you look young! Is this your first surgery? Don't fret about the undergarment issue!

Like everyone has said, it's a professional environment and they have SEEN IT ALL!!!! I know it sounds easy, but truly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's one of those things that 'it is what it is' plus once they give you your anti-anxiety med in your IV you won't care if you're buck naked or not. ;) ;)

Yeah, I'm 22 and been heavy since I was about 9. I don't even know what my skinny self looks like yet. :/

I have had a minor operation before but i was allowed to keep my underwear on (i hadn't developed yet so i didn't give a hoo-ha about my girls).

To reiterate what almost everyone else has said, they are professionals and will treat you with respect and dignity.

On another note, once you've given birth, all of these concerns will be history.

Best of luck

Every hospital/surgical facility is different and if this is something that you're anxious about (and trust me you're not the first one) talk to someone at your pretest appointment because they work directly with the hospitals OR but to be honest I work in the financial end of a hospital and even I've seen it all!

Funny story though I had my gb out last year and they gave me xanax to take an hour before (i would suggest inquiring about this too) anyway I didn't think I needed it this time but I'm like hey why the hell not? Well I was so loopy that when I changed I decided I was going to go commando lol the OR at my job let's you wear underware no bra though. Well I was feeling so good and the OR gown they gave me didn't even close in the back it was what I wore during my surgery that as I'm walking down the hall to the operating room my butt is hanging out for the world to see and I work there! And you know what?? No one has ever mentioned it since lol.

Hang in there you'll be fine and the surgery will be over before you know it!

I was allowed to wear undies. A bra would get in the way of the surgery. One of my incisions is right below my bra line in the center.

I know exactly what you mean, but fortunately I have gone through labor and delivery so that got me over it and have never thought about it again. If it makes you feel any better, the gowns they provide are really roomy since we are larger people, so it will more than cover you! My nurse almost double wrapped me in it and then tied it. Once I was given the first cocktail and wheeled back to the OR I do remember them asking me to loosen it as I was moving over to the OR table. I did that and the next thing I new I was back in my room and I was all wrapped up again. As someone else said the OR team will be right there to keep sheets, blankets, whatever over you. The dr just wants to zone in on your stomach so for all we know they put a sheet over everything with just a circle for the belly like the do for other surgeries!!

Trust me this is 100 times better than having kids. When you are in labor every person that walks in the door either looks at your girlie parts or shoves something up your girlie parts....LOL!! You get so used to it, that you then are like WHATEVER!!

I'll say a prayer for you! You'll do great!

It is always a bit embarrassing but you know, they wont even look. At any rate whilst your anaesthetised and go under, gown removed and drped up to hide it all, th surgeon (who is the one you have to look in the eye afterward) probably wont even be there yet. They come in at the last minute. All hell probably see is a mound of green sheets with a tummy. In the middle

My incisions are all around the chest area don't think you will be able to wear a bra but yes to knickers.

Nothing but the gown. But they were really cool and professional. Ask for an extra blanket so you be a bit more modest for your wheel into the OR.

Yeah, I've given birth twice so it's all been seen. I have no sense of modesty left now. LOL. But seriously, ask for a second gown to help keep the ladies under wraps and a blanket for your nether regions for when they lift the gown. I brought a cami with shelf bra for post op so it would be easier for them to lift and keep the girls supported and concealed.

Maybe ask about wearing a sports bra...it probably has to do with the anesthesiologist. I Imagine they will need to put those monitoring pads on your collar bone chest area to monitor vitals....???

The way doctors and nurses look at our bodies is the way a mechanic looks at a car. Your surgeon will be focusing on your incisions, your liver, your stomach, and your pancreas and making sure none of those organs are damaged. He'll focus on getting the band placed in the right area and making sure your stitches are properly done. He's had years and years of education and (if he's good) he'll have done this many times before you've reached the OR. The last thing the doctor is going to care about is the asthetic appearance of your body as a woman. When I had oral surgery, I was nude under my gown as a precaution. If they need to get to any vital organs, they're not going to want to have to slice away layers of garments for the sake of modesty. They're going to want to ensure you wake up safe and healthy from your surgery. If you die on the table, not only will the doctors have to live with knowing you died under their knife, their reputation will tank. So for your sake, you must do what the doctors ask. They might be able to give you a sterile gauze to wrap around yourself, but you gotta make sure you're not blocking anything they may need to get to in case of an emergency.

Besides, like others say, you won't be awake to know :) When you are awakened you'll be all covered up, snug in a blanket and ready to start recovery. Your doctors know what's best! There's a reason they're getting $13K a pop - if they wanted to become a surgeon specifically to see ladies naked, they probably wouldn't make it far enough in med school to get there.

Think of it this way, yes it is scary and weird to be naked and helpless in front of strangers but...if you maintain your obesity you are in for a lifetime of intrusive medical care way more than a thin person would be...and yes, they are professionals and very respectful! Best of luck!