Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Days Post Op... Feeling Very Hungry!

Over the past couple of days I totally noticed my hunger increased quite a bit but my eating habits have not. I feel as if the liquids are not keeping me satisfied any longer and maybe if I have some actually solid food' date=' it would tie me over MUCH better but of course I am going to wait on that until my surgeon gives me the okay. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what makes this happen? Thanks so much![/quote']

I'm the same an 5 days in and I've been told round this time can have yoghurt and some purée but not sure exactly what. Last night had mash with lots of gravy mixed up to get something in there lol. Mixed it smooth an wet. Was good to have something semi normal. As ur swelling goes down ur food goes into ur stomach quicker an easier causing hunger.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am exactly 3 weeks post-op today and I am STARVING! I was fine during the liquid phase and now I feel like I can't get enough to eat. I am loading up on the mushy Proteins, eating slowly, chewing thoroughly and eating the quantity my doctor says I should (about 1/2 C Protein for each meal) but then 15 minutes later, I am hungry again. I am having my first fill a week from Friday. I am hoping it helps because this stinks! Are you still on the liquids? My doctor required 10 days of liquids.

I am 5 days post-op and I was just getting ready to post this EXACT same thing. I've been doing my three Protein Shakes a day, plus either yougurt, applesauce, etc. I still feel hungry and I hate it. The first few days it didn't bother me when everyone around me was eating, but now it does. I am SO hungry and unable to do anything about it!

I had my band placed 2 1/2 yrs ago and I remember the first month like it was yesterday. I could have sworn that I read my post-op instructions as "clear liquid + Protein shakes for the first 4 weeks". So I starved - literally. Until the 3rd wk I had to add some Tomato Soup. This whole time I thought I was cheating - but I reread my instructions last month. It says liquids to include yogurt, pudding ,cream Soups, etc. I would've felt alot better if I could have had some yogurt! And that whole time I thought I was cheating and was afraid to tell my doc!

Everytime I'd go to Alberstons to buy more Soup, I'd smell their deli fried chicken and almost have a meltdown in the store. I promised myself when I was able to eat solid food again, that would be my first meal. It wasn't.

Good luck and hang in there. I promise, it does get better!

Marci

Hey nechama22 I'm supposed to have three Protein Shakes as they aid healing but I'm starting to have some purred meat as in spaghetti and I've even grabbed some baby food in squeeze tubes so as to get the right consistency at the moment. I've had banana an custard mashed and some cottage cheese. But yeah like you say not long after and hungry again. But it's nice to have some semi normal food again!!!

Miss manders I was under the impression wen getting hungry means the swelling near band going down and u can start introducing pureed foods in day 7 an already started couldn't wait took it real easy st first yoghurt mash potato an gravy really runny now have g pured spaghetti some baby foods just for Portion Control and consistency of food. I have felt everything has gone down ok no vomiting etc I've been lucky.

How many calories are you guys eating? Right after surgery I was eating between 300-500 calories a day ... now Im a week out from surgery and Ive been eating between 800-900 calories a day. Is that too much?

Im steady on Protein shakes, Soups (broth and cream), applesauce, pudding (sugar free and regular) ... oatmeal, cream of wheat ...

I would love some potatoes or ground beef or tuna or something! Ugg!

How many calories are you guys eating? Right after surgery I was eating between 300-500 calories a day ... now Im a week out from surgery and Ive been eating between 800-900 calories a day. Is that too much?

Im steady on Protein shakes, Soups (broth and cream), applesauce, pudding (sugar free and regular) ... oatmeal, cream of wheat ...

I would love some potatoes or ground beef or tuna or something! Ugg!

I would like to know this also. The cream soups really add up on calories.. What is the correct amount??

Yeah, everyone experiences it. Its what happens unfortunately. Just getting the band doesn't mean much until you get restriction which could be months from now depending on how aggressive your surgeon is with fills. I can only get one every 6-8 weeks. So for the first two months, I was starving all the time. Thought that after a fill it would be better...didn't really get any better until I had 5cc's in my band, which took a while. solid food does help, but basically its mind over matter some days.

So when you first get the surgery, the band is not filled at all? So there is no restriction at first? I am a few months away from surgery.

If you eat around 1000 to 1200 a day (for the women) youwill lose weight even if you dont exercise...that amount of calories keeps me at 140 pounds (I am 5'4") without any exercise...please take it easy and dont be in a race! It is normal to maintain your weight and even gain a little during Bandster Hell which can last a few months depending on how generous or cheap your doc is for fills!

I am not an expert but try to make small changes you can live with forever...because you will be doing this for life! My whole story is on my profile page if anyone wants to know how it all went and what I eat etc.

I tell everyone to read this blog starting from the beginning because you will laugh your way through everything youare about to experience...this gal lost 100 pounds in a year without exercising and has kept it off...she starts with the insurance stuff, the the procedure, recover, Hell, etc! Heres the link:

http://bandgroupiethesweetspot.blogspot.com/

Best of luck to all!

I'm so glad to hear from all of you, it's nice to know we are going through it together at least. I went to my doctor's yesterday, I am 11 days post op and I complained of my constant hunger. He suggested I blended some fruit in with my Protein Shakes (I gave up the traditional Protein shakes for ready-made Isopure) and he also said I could have hard boiled eggs which was so exciting to me, I ate one and a half and felt like I just ate a Thanksgiving dinner LOL I also had a little bit of mashed potatoes for the first time in 5 weeks and it was like heaven. I'm looking forward to the 26th, I will be able to eat real food... Granted it will probably only be a few bites, but that is more than enough for me! Plus the 26th is the day after my birthday and I couldn't pick a better present for myself at this point :)

Post op 9 days. I just switched to the puréed diet yesterday. I was really sick of soup! I had a scrambled egg for Breakfast, mashed potatoe for lunch, and mashed white fish at dinner. It was awesome! But then today I had my shake and I started having stomach issues all day. Could not stop going to the restroom. Do y'all think this is from the diet switch from liquids to puréed?

I think it might be... I assume your digestive system has to get used to everything all over again and it will take a little while before it doesn't effect you so much.

Jackie's Girl... There is some Fluid in the band after your surgery as per what my surgeon has told me. However there isn't too much so your body can slowly adjust to the band and heal. After approximately 5 weeks, you then get your first band fill. How much it will be filled depends on you, the size of your band, and what your surgeon thinks is appropriate for you. Hope this helps! Good Luck!