Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my surgery on the 27th of Feb. I was expecting alot of things but this isn't it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I feel fantastic. I felt fantastic the day after surgery. I didn't have any problems with the Gas bubbles (I did have gas, but it passed normally) in the chest or nausea or dizziness. I had minimal discomfort due to the incision sites and being swollen a little. My biggest problem was a stupid sinus cold I caught in Mexico due to the moisture in the air (I live in Arizona).

So now I am beginning Week 3 of the eating plan my Dr. ordered; mushies with texture and blended meats. I've already added the Protein supps and I am down 19 lbs so far so things seem to be moving right along. I don't know if anybody else has felt this way, but if Ididn't see the lap band myself on X-ray the day after surgery I would think that nothing has been done to me. I say this because I am waiting to feel that "satisfied" feeling or even a "full" feeling. I only eat about 1 cup of whatever I'm eating because that's what I have been told that's all my pouch will hold, but I'm still hungry. I sometimes will have a little more but still don't have that satisfied feeling. I guess I am expecting to feel the satisfied/full felling the way I did before surgery but I am thinking that now it may have a different feeling? I have also tested the limits, so to speak, by eating a piece of orange chicken and chewing it up good and swallowing and no problems.

Am I experiencing something normal? I already have my first fill scheduled for mid April and this will also be my first follow up to surgery.

Thanks in advance for your stories and personal experiences.

Patti

Hey Patti, in my opinion there's no such thing as normal. However I felt excellent after my banding and have never felt any restriction. I've had two fills and currenly have 5.5 in a 10cc band. I limit my food (not so much) I don't count calories. I just kinda wing it and while I know I could eat more I just stop at a certain point because I would be so embarassed if I caused myself a problem. I've been losing 2-3 pounds a week so far. Hope it helps!

I had my surgery this past December and have had two fills. Only in the last week have I felt any type of restriction. I have another appointment on the 27th and think that the third fill will be really good as far as getting me to my green zone.

I also had a great surgical experience having very little discomfort afterwards. My band was empty after surgery so I had no restriction at all until 4 months and 4 fills later. I always ate like I had restriction, like you, I measured out my food and when that was vone I walked away. When the hunger pains came, I guzzled lots and lots of water! This is what is known as Bandster HELL!!!!!! Hang in there, and you will soon FEEL your band doing its job!!!! :)

Most people dont experience the full feeling or their green zone or good restriction, whatever u call it, until 3rd or 4th fill . What surprises me is that information wasnt given to u prior to surgery. Its not even the number of fills its the amount that you have in your band to feel full and satisfied. Coupled along with this is learning to recognise the 'full' signals that u get when eating. Again some do have difficulty not reading these signals or they just dont get them. Self restraint on the amount of food just as much as the type of food is the way to manage this period inbetween surgery and restriction. Its well known that some people will gain a little weight in this period of time just be patient it took years to get to pre-op status, banding isnt a quick fix and taking your time to heal and recover and learn a new way of eating also takes time. Just follow your surgeons guidelines and start looking forward to a new way of life :)

i feel so lucky that i had minimal pain and breezed through surgery and recovery too. i was so bored that i went light xmas shopping 3 days after surgery. felt great and still do 3 months out !! i was in bandster hell like you are for awhile until i hit the green zone with my 3rd fill feb 27th, only then did i really feel any restriction. i can eat everything as long as i take small bites and chew well. take the time to learn how to eat properly and you'll be very happy when you hit the green zone. good luck to you !

question - so after the band is put into place, do they not fill it a little bit at that time? or is it empty till you go back for your fills???

I did not get restriciton until 10.6 cc's in a 11 cc band. My doctor never told me to eat based on measuring cups. Instead he said to measure the solid Protein, 3 oz, and eat low fat veggies until full.

I've also realized that feeling full with the band is way different that feeling full without the band. It is kinda weird. Anyone else have the same experience? I used to eat until I felt like I would pop and have that pressure in my stomach, but it is different with the band.

question - so after the band is put into place, do they not fill it a little bit at that time? or is it empty till you go back for your fills???

My surgeon only primes the band- taking the air out and replacing it with the saline. She does no real fills til a month out, and then it will be 2cc, followed by 2cc, and then as needed.

I had 3cc's in my band straight out of surgery (I have a 9cc band).

Patti, I am 14+ months out from surgery with 6 fills under my belt and am just now feeling restriction at 8.2cc's. It's not been as easy a road for me as some other bandsters who get restriction pretty quickly.

As for feeling full, I haven't felt the old 'stuff myself until I'm comatose' full. Your new feeling of full will be different, mine is a tightness in my throat that is a tad uncomfortable. Up until my last 2 fills, it was a pain in my shoulder. I'm still learning as I go ;) . Good luck!! Congrats on the 19lbs!!

Thank you all so much for responding! So what I've learned is, I need a fill...LOL I have also learned what "Green Zone" means and "Bandster Hell". You're encouragement has really helped me to understand what is going on here. I am just hoping it doesn't end up taking me several fills to get to the Sweet Spot since I am private pay and would either have to travel back down to Mexico ( a 5 hr drive from here) or drive to Flagstaff. Either way I am paying out of pocket each time. Flagstaff will nickel and dime the fills and Mexico will give me a descent fill under fluroscopy (a much better fill). I made an appt in Mexico for the 31st of March to get my first fill.

I will continue to be smart about my eating and not eat more just because I can. I spent my hard earned money on this life changing event and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks again Ladies!

Patti