Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Intake?

good question :huh: cause my trainer at the gym said 900 was too low and I have only had one fil??

my doctor told me 1200 but i dont lose any weight at 1200 calories :( so i have been doing between 800 and 1000 plus i walk 35 mins a day. I find that i lose weight there, but everyone is diffrent so you just have to find your sweet spot!!!

Ami

same here. My dietian said 1200 would be the goal. I do very close to that now (1300) and still gain weight. I will need to be under 1000 to lose anything. I have been at 900 since december and have only lost 11 pounds (but 4 of those have been since I started the pre-op diet 3 days ago. So apparently if I only consume 500 calories a day I can actually lose like a normal person.

I stay around 1000 calories, sometimes 900 sometimes 1100 .. i know my metabolism has speeded up because of building muscles but in the beginning i was nearly 3 months pre - op on 600 calories a day and it worked.

Its very hard to judge an amount of calories per day because there does have to be an average whereby in general people will lose weight, i would say thats about 1200 calories a day, some can eat up to1500 some cant.

what is important is that whatever the amount of calories that you eat and that works, you eat a healthy balanced diet that nutritionally meets your bodies needs.

The dietitian told me 1000-1200. I questioned this because I walk at least five miles most days. She compared people to car types, saying those of us who are obese generally are very efficient fuel-burners and consequently, we do not need as much food to fuel our bodies. Lucky us.

I do not think I will really hit that burning cals. it until I start sweating. I am really not pushing it yet- I feel too "soft" and don't want to hurt the old body. Spring is coming... just saw a free bootcamp at the park Sats,,, B)

found this post on internet??

The Myth of Starvation Mode

I want to start off this post by saying that I don’t think you should starve yourself to lose weight. I think it’s unhealthy and unsustainable. You learn nothing about managing your food intake if you starve yourself. If you’ve read anything I’ve written about how I’m going about losing weight you’ll understand that. But, that being said I don’t like the idea of a group of people (dieters) collectively deluding themselves about something that doesn’t exist, to wit, starvation mode.I’ve never used the expression “to wit” before, I don’t think I ever will again.Case in point, 50 Cent.

You may have read the news story last week that 50 Cent lost 54 pounds in 9 weeks to play a cancer patient.How did he do it? He went on an all liquid diet and got on the treadmill 3 hours a day.

Shouldn’t his body have gone into “starvation mode”? Shouldn’t it have shut down and stopped burning calories? This is what many diet books and your fat aunt will tell you. But this just isn’t how things work in real life. And we know this because we can look at people who actually starved. Ever seen a picture of the holocaust? Or a guy who has been adrift at sea for a few months? Magically everyone who actually starves somehow resists the mysterious starvation mode. Was Elie Wiesel’s metabolism less than yours? Well, yes, but that’s what happens when you get down to about 70 pounds.

Here’s your basic biology lesson. Your fat is stored calories. Let’s say you need 2800 calories to function throughout the day. You can either eat your 2800 calories, or you can eat 1400 and your body can burn 1400 stored calories, or you can eat nothing and your body can burn 2800 stored calories. Your body still gets the calories, it just gets them from your stored fat. So when people say, “Don’t go under [some arbitrary number] of calories, because your body needs that just to survive.” What they’re not understanding is that your body still gets that number of calories it just gets them by burning your fat instead of the food you ate. This is all weight loss is.But starvation mode must exist, right? I mean you hear so much about it. It can’t all be bulls**t, can it?Well, kind of.Let’s clarify some things.

Yes, eating will raise your metabolism. But it doesn’t ever raise it enough to make up for the influx of calories you take in by eating.

Yes, your metabolism will lower as you lose weight. But that’s just how things work. It takes a lot less gas to move a Mini-Cooper 100 miles than it does to move a Hummer 100 miles. Your metabolic rate is, essentially, how much “fuel” you need to get you through the day. So,of course, it’s going to decrease as you get smaller.

Yes, starvation mode exists. But it’s not something that happens to you as you try to lose weight. Starvation mode is what your body goes into once all the fat is burned. It’s your body using your muscle and internal organs for fuel because it doesn’t have anything else to use. You can’t be fat and in starvation mode. It’s like saying, “I have a lot of expendable income. And I’m bankrupt.”

Listen, I’m not a doctor… or am I? (I’m not.) But I’m completely capable of reading the scientific studies about calorie reduction and metabolism and I can’t find a study that shows anything about the existence of “starvation mode” as people use the term in the dieting industry.Again, I’m not suggesting you starve yourself thin. You’ll deprive yourself of nutrients to keep you healthy and you’ll likely feel like sh** too. But I’m against the idea of perpetrating the myth of starvation mode because it needlessly complicates the issue of losing weight, and people are confused enough already.

My thoughts exactly ..

I find this intresting. I actually dont feel hungry anymore and struggle to get 800. I actually have to drink double scoops in Protein Shakes to keep the calories up. I am only on week 3 and have lost 20lbs and overall I feel better every day.

good job!! in the first few weeks hunger is slow-- but once you start working out and get back to normal... then what should we do about calories,, be a question for my Dr. next week

I'm doing 1200 calories a day and logging in my fitness pal. Keeps me honest. I've been losing weight pretty well at this calorie intake but I also have a reasonably active lifestyle and have to wear heavy gear at work, so every day is a workout.

I tried fewer calories and I didn't feel well and was sluggish. So I didn't get my exercise because I was tired. I found a sweet spot but yours will probably be different

I feel like I'm an alien after reading what people post here. I had my surgery done 3 weeks ago and I'm hungry all the time. I had change the way I eat because I want to loose weight., not because i don't want to eat. I read here that most people don't feel hunger but this is not my case. I feel hungry even after the surgery. The first week on liquids was torture for me. I have lost 26 pounds but is I just told u because I have changed the way I eat. I'm having my first fill in 2 weeks. I wonder if my hunger will diminish after the fill in or if I have to control my hunger always, because if this is the case I don't feel happy about it. Please any advice. Thanks

Nyri, I am right there with you! I was banded 18 days ago and I am hungry. I have only lost 6 lbs but I have not started exercising yet due to my hernia surgery. I get my first fill in 10 days and I hope that helps. I'm struggling with my diet and terrified that I will fail at losing the weight.

Some people manage to lose weight just by eating smaller portions of food, i eat around a 1000 calories a day some can eat 1200, there always is an average amount that most doctors will quote but the trick is to find out what works for you then try to stick to it, counting calories is a pain but for some of us it works well :)