Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After 7 Years, I Join The Slipped Band Club

Crazy days, indeed! I never thought it would happen to me as my first surgeon told me that slips were rare.

My current surgeon showed me the xray, the band is now parallel to my spine. Whoops.

Well, the good news is that an endoscopy showed my esophagus is in good shape and in two days I'm having a revision surgery. While the good dr is in there, he's going to put in the updated band which is supposedly is better for fills and tweaking amounts. I never had more than 1 cc in my old band and that was way too tight.

Totally looking forward to having the new band. I really hope that things improve. Living with a slipped band isn't fun.

Overall, I don't regret getting the band. I'm still 65 lbs down and that's really something.

Best wishes for a quick surgery and speedy recover! Keep us posted.

Wow!! Good luck with the up coming surgery, I hope you love the new band. Were you able to tell that the band had slipped? What were the signs?

That's awesome you were able to maintain a loss, despite the difficulties. Best of luck with the new band!!

Wow!! Good luck with the up coming surgery, I hope you love the new band. Were you able to tell that the band had slipped? What were the signs?

Yes, I knew something wasn't right. Don't know if that makes sense, but it just didn't feel right. As the slip progressed, it made eating really tough and really awful reflux. My band dr kept taking more and more fill out and it didn't help. In 2010 a slight slip was diagnosed and all fill was taken out. But that didn't fix it.

I have to say, to all who have a band, watch the PB's. I got into a really bad patch for a while where I decided I just wanted to test the band. Over and over. I PB'd a LOT and sometimes really hard. And now I'm paying the price.

Lots of big lessons learned.

That's awesome you were able to maintain a loss, despite the difficulties. Best of luck with the new band!!

Hi Andrea - you know what's funny, at this weight (at about half my "excess weight" lost) and a slipped band, I'm still considered a band success by the Drs and the standards of the LapBand people. I've kept more than half off for a long time. This is why my new Dr really wants to fix the band and not take it out. I think if this new band goes in nice and I rededicate myself to being a well behaved bandster, this could really be a good thing for me!

My Band, Part II. The reckoning.

LOL!!

Yes, I knew something wasn't right. Don't know if that makes sense, but it just didn't feel right. As the slip progressed, it made eating really tough and really awful reflux. My band dr kept taking more and more fill out and it didn't help. In 2010 a slight slip was diagnosed and all fill was taken out. But that didn't fix it.

I have to say, to all who have a band, watch the PB's. I got into a really bad patch for a while where I decided I just wanted to test the band. Over and over. I PB'd a LOT and sometimes really hard. And now I'm paying the price.

Lots of big lessons learned.

What does PB mean?

Wow sorry to hear that. Will they do it for free or some kind of break?

What does PB mean?

Oh, sorry. It means "productive burp" -- kind of a cutesy way of saying that food got stuck and I vomited.

We used to use the term PB a lot here on LBT but it may not be used much anymore. It's been a while since I was here.

Wow sorry to hear that. Will they do it for free or some kind of break?

No, not free. For me, the good news is that I self paid the first time, but now my medical H M O (Kaiser) does the surgery and it's covered, so it will be a LOT less out of pocket than it was seven years ago. Whew! Thank goodness for insurance!!

Oh, sorry. It means "productive burp" -- kind of a cutesy way of saying that food got stuck and I vomited.

We used to use the term PB a lot here on LBT but it may not be used much anymore. It's been a while since I was here.

Lol first I thought it was Peanut Butter and then I figured that was stupid so then I knew it had to be Protein Bar cause I'm smart lol fail. Productive burp. Ok got it

Crazy days, indeed! I never thought it would happen to me as my first surgeon told me that slips were rare.

My current surgeon showed me the xray, the band is now parallel to my spine. Whoops.

Well, the good news is that an endoscopy showed my esophagus is in good shape and in two days I'm having a revision surgery. While the good dr is in there, he's going to put in the updated band which is supposedly is better for fills and tweaking amounts. I never had more than 1 cc in my old band and that was way too tight.

Totally looking forward to having the new band. I really hope that things improve. Living with a slipped band isn't fun.

Overall, I don't regret getting the band. I'm still 65 lbs down and that's really something.

Did you vomit alot. I was wondering because I was told that slippage is caused from vomiting.

Did you vomit alot. I was wondering because I was told that slippage is caused from vomiting.

Yes, I did vomit a lot and I'm sure that's a big key for me. Slippage can also be caused from constantly eating too much and dilating the esophagus. That constant dilation pushes the band down. I'm guilty of that too.

Yup, a LOT of lessons learned the hard way.