Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain At The Hospital!!??

I had my surgery 3/2 (Friday) and I was so excited getting weighed in at the hospital at 246lbs, which was 9lbs lower than my surgery goal weight. I was only required to be on a Clear liquids diet 24 hrs prior to my surgery so I figured when I got home from the hospital my weight would be the same ... WRONG :(

One day later (Saturday), no more than 24hrs gone by and I come home from the hospital and get on my scale ... 258lbs!!! I was thinking it was just IV fluids or from the horrible gas & bloating, but idk?

Now here it is 3 days later (Monday) and I'm still weighing in at 252lbs?? I want my 246lbs back, lol!

Anyone have this happen and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks for any replies :)

Yes - the same thing happened to me. I am going in for my first fill today and plan to ask my doctor why that happened. Very demotivating!

People often gain weight immediately after surgery because of the IV fluids that they give you for surgery

I feel your pain...but, you are now in the healing phase (for at least the next 3 to 4 weeks). You need to follow your doctors diet rules and recover. Talk to your doctor about the gain (it is likely Fluid retention from surgery), but really the serious weight loss starts after you have healed. Good luck and try to be patient.

My surgeon, dietician, and bariatric case manager all said to wait two to three weeks after surgery to weigh due to the Fluid retention.

it is very common for people to gain weight after surgery because often the weight you lost before surgery is simply Water weight and after surgery they pump you with IV. also after surgery your body is often very swollen

I was bloated for almost 2-1/2 weeks, plus no BM for almost two of them. It wasn't until the 3rd week my body caught up with all the chaos it had been through. Just stick to the plan and you should start losing soon. Just keep in mind to, that all weight scales vary to a degree. I can walk into my doctors office and I am 2#'s heavier than I was at the Bariatric clinic, just minutes before.

I had my surgery 3/2 (Friday) and I was so excited getting weighed in at the hospital at 246lbs, which was 9lbs lower than my surgery goal weight. I was only required to be on a Clear Liquids diet 24 hrs prior to my surgery so I figured when I got home from the hospital my weight would be the same ... WRONG :(

One day later (Saturday), no more than 24hrs gone by and I come home from the hospital and get on my scale ... 258lbs!!! I was thinking it was just IV fluids or from the horrible gas & bloating, but idk?

Now here it is 3 days later (Monday) and I'm still weighing in at 252lbs?? I want my 246lbs back, lol!

Anyone have this happen and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks for any replies :)

I can't remember just stick to the plan your eye on the prize I promise you'll be well past that in no time!! Good Luck!!

You are bloated and swollen, It takes a while for all that to go away. I gained about 5 lbs post op from the surgery, the fluids, and the Clear Liquids and broths are full of sodium. The first 6 weeks after surgery...DONT obsess over the scale, it will fluctuate way too much. I am excited that I can finally get my 2nd fill today, I really need it!

I gained about 8 lbs. after surgery. They took me off my blood pressure meds which were a diruetic. After about 10 days I started back on meds and then started to lose weight. I was able to quit my blood pressure meds after 6 months and 50 lbs. Good Luck!!

its those stupid IV bags. After my gallbladder was removed I gained 4 pounds. Took me two weeks to lose all the Water weight lol