Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, My Name Is Haylie.

Im 17, I've been struggling with weight sense I was a little girl. I don't know what else to do considering I have tried EVERYTHING. The Lap-Band is my last resort so I'm needing advice and to know if I will be doing the right thing.. So if anyone wants to give me advice please reply or send me a message! Itll be GREATLY appreciated. :)

I have also chosen the lap band. I am just starting my process even tho I have been trying for 2.5 years. I wish you luck. I would go to youtube and look for bandedwendy or skymoon1982 and watch their videos. They are amazing. You can also find them on Facebook

Thank you, & I wish you the best of luck too! & Ive read and seen a lot of reviews and it seems like it really helps over weight people. So I'm super stoked! :)

Hi Haylie~I would say that it is a very personal decision for everyone, but I would commend you for looking into it at such a young age. Get your weight and more importantly your health in check NOW. Definitely do research in your area of recommended surgeons or weight loss programs for bariatric surgeries. Check this site often for advice and opinions, but just know thats all they are, opinions. Only you can decide what is best for you. I've been heavy since I was 17, and it was the best decision I've made. Only took me 20 years to figure it out. Best wishes for lots of support and health!

I think its a great choice. i just wish i had done it years ago. its a big decision but i am sure if you have it you will be very pleased.

Thank you guys soooo much!! I am so happy that I found this app on my phone and that theres people going through the same struggles I am going through right now. How has your guy's progress been and how much weight have you guys lost??

hello haylie , im crystal im 22 and i am about 8 weeks post opt and have lost a little over 40 lbs :) i love my lapband and it makes me sooo happy for you that you have decided to take action at such a young age congrats on taking control of your life although im pretty young myself i wish i would have done it sooner feel free to ask me anything :) best wishes and good luck

Crystal, that is so awesome! SO happy for you!! I am blessed with such a supporting family that is willing to go the extra mile just to make me happy. Is it a struggle? I mean, do you get aggravated that you cant eat what you want? What do you have to do to prepare yourself for surgery? Im so nervous, but yet excited.

Hi Crystal :) My name is Stephanie and I'm 24. I have been researching banding for over a year now and was finally able to get on an insurance plan that covered it this January. I am hoping to have my surgery in the next few weeks and wish this would have been an option for me when I was 17- it reminds me of all of the weight I wouldn't have had to lose!

Stephyanders,

I am lucky to have this opportunity to be able to get the Lap-Band!! Hopefully my insurance company will pay cause its VERY expensive. I have my recommendation letter so far! Still have a while to go to prepare, but itll be so worth it in the end. :)

Haylie, there are quite a few teens on here, some pre op some post op so you are in good company!

I would go to a local seminar at your hospital where u would go for surgery. They will discuss everything u need to know about the surgery and what options there are for you.

The lapband is the least invasive and least complicated of all the surgeries for weight loss but there are other options and u may feel more comfortable having one of those like a gastric bypass or a gastric sleeve. This lapband , for most of us, not all, requires quite a bit of work on our part with regular exercise and eating healthy food so just bear in mind that the band can only help you so far. The choices u make will still be yours as to what u put in your mouth :)

I have no regrets about having a band fitted it was a relatively easy surgery for me .. no worse than a wisdom tooth out lol

At 17 you should be enjoying yourself and losing the weight will probably change your life.......... so good luck and i hope u get what u want !

good for you for making a smart decision to get healthy !!! if you are making an informed decision on lap band, i say go for it , even if some might think 17 is too young. if you've tried everything with no sucess, then lap band might just be the way to go . life is too short to live overweight because then you're just existing , not living ! im in my fifties , never had a weight prob until my 30's, and even though ive only been banded since mid dec, my only regret is i did'nt do it sooner ! its been a breeze, down 17 lbs and looking and feeling much better . so i say go for it ! good luck to you !

Cazzy, thanks for your advice. I've been set on this decision for a while now, and I'm 110% sure I want to do this. I've done research after research and gastric bypass seems like it comes with a lot of struggles, and complications. Lap-Band has got thousands and thousands of good reviews, so I have my mind set on this!! (: