Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

My name is Alexis and I was just approved for having Lap band I will be having my surgery March 22, 2012. I am so excited and also nervous at the same time. I have been struggling with my weight since my early 20's it has been a non stop roller coaster of my weight going up and down. The most weight I lost was 60 Lbs but I was on phentermine and as soon as I stop taking those pills I put the weight all back on and then some grrr lol.

My husband is very supportive of my decision in doing this and I thank him very much however, other members of my family are telling me that this is the easy way out and I need to try harder. Believe me I have tried harder but nothing is working for me.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with feed back as to how long it took them to recover after surgery granted I know everyone is going to be different... How long do you have to wait before you can actual exercise and how sore is one after this procedure...

Any helpful information will be great to know.

Thank you :)

Hi Alexis:

Congratulations on your decision. First let me address the "easy way out" line. I would have those family members watch the online seminars for this procedure and make sure they know what you're going to have to go through. This is not an easy way out...it is a tool. Its a tool just like excercise or Weight Watchers or the phentermine. It just happens to be a surgical one. You will still have to watch what you eat, measure your foods, excercise and follow doctor's orders. Okay...now that I have that off my chest (and I apologize if it seemed rude)....

I was back at work about 6 days after my surgery. I am 4 weeks post-op and still am careful about certain things. My incisions have healed on the outside, but every now and then, I still feel a twinge here and there that I attribute to the abdominal muscles/nerves healing. As for excercise, after the first week/ 1 1/2 weeks, my doctor told me I could do light excercise and that if it hurt, to stop. However, your doctor may want you to do something different.

This a journey. Some days will suck (like the few after the surgery when all that gas they pump into you makes you feel bloated) but there should be more good days...like the first time you step on the scale and see a HUGE hunka pounds gone...or putting on a pair of jeans that fit...or when out of the blue someone looks at you and says "wow, you look great!" There's the day that you realize you've done more in the excercise department than you ever thought you would...or when you realize that you're actually full from a 1/2 cup of food. laugh.png What ever day it happens to be, I personally think its worth it. It has been for me so far. and...you have other bandsters here to support you and answer your questions and to cheer along with you.

God bless you and keep us posted on your journey!

Let' start with "the easy way out" There is no statement farther from the truth. One does not arrive upon the decision to insert a foreign object around ones stomach and a port beneath one's skin to take the "easy route". Tell your friends and family who are feeding you that line that they are dreaming. The surgery isn't some in and out wart removal... there are several puncture wounds made and one small incision where the port is placed. This is all done under general anesthsesia with all the risk that being put out entails. The recovery immediately post op varies person to person, some waking up feeling fine others waking up nauseated and vomiting. The first couple of days are achey at the wound sites, Some people have gas, bloating and pain on deep breathing. Turning and sleeping is difficult as the wound sites are tender and hard to put pressure on. Diets vary after the procedure from doctor to doctor, My diet seems extreme at 21 days of full liquids. Other doctors prescrbe sollid foods sooner. You aren't restricted by the band in the healing period..liquid passes through unobstructed. It is not until about 6-8 weeks later that you actually get a "fill" and then have some restriction. But back to your friends who are living in la la land.. the band doesn't do its work by magic. what you put in your mouth, the exercise you do and the attitude you have all play a role in success... read the blogs of those who have succeeded and those who have failed and you begin to realize that the band itself is really just a small part of a much LARGER picture.

I took my first long walk at 2 weeks post banding. I think that when I truly felt back in the land of the living. I went back to work after 5 days post op. Everyone is different. You have to check with your doc and see what they want you to do. good luck.. but remember to tell your friends.. this is no party.. its work

This is not a easy way out at all. This is Devotion, Dedication, and Life Changing.

You have to be willing to put everyone else in 2nd. place to take care of you. Once you have the idea, and control, you can take care of things the way you use too, because you will have learned what is rite, and wrong.

But this is not the easy way out. So clue the ones in on that thought, because it is mis-information.

Congrats on your decision to get the band. As other have said this is not the easy way out and you need to do this for you and not worry about what others have to say. You have the support of your husband so now find others to add to your camp so you stay positive about your new journey. I too have been heavy since my 20's and I tried every diet under the sun and I would take the weight off an then it would return with "friends" so I would end up heavier than when I started the diet. It took me 3 years to finally say I AM going to do this and I WILL make this work. In 10 weeks I have lost over 40lbs and the journey has been pretty easy. You can do this it is just letting the band be in control of when you are full and the key is listening to your Dr and weight loss team and exercising. This site is a great place to find support and I wish you luck on this journey it is so worth it.

I guess now you know it is not the easy way out! Which I agree it is not, but it can be done with small changes in your lifestyle. I lost 84 lbs and have maintained the loss. I am 2½ year out and would do it again in a minute.

I was off work for 3 days but I have a desk job and really would have like to have at least one more day off. I have had no real problems. There are foods I can not eat anymore but it is a small price to pay for having the weight off.

I doubt you will have regrets either. Good that your husband is supportive but don't worry about the others they will come around and is what they say really that important? You can do this! Welecome to the boards, I think this is a place to come to often so you can be in touch with people who really know what you are going through.

Cheri