Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Rollercoaster...anyone Else?

Hello Everyone, I was banded on Feb. 16th. So 5 days ago, for some reason this afternoon I just got really down, I can't really pinpoint exactly why Im feeling depressed however I can imagine it is a combination of things. For instance, I am still off work so I am feeling really lonely even though my husband and baby are home with me, I can barely eat anything, I am so sick of tasteless liquid! Is this normal? Anyone else feel depressed right after surgery? If so how long did it last and what did you do to pull yourself out of it? I hate feeling this way so It would mean alot to have some suggestions, Thank you.

16714261.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I was very emotional after surgery, cried a ton for days. Had no regrets or anything about the surgery and wasn't in extreme pain or anything. All emotional.

Going through an enormous life change even if it is a good one is emotional. I don't know if I was grieving the loss of my old habits or scared or what.

My weight has always been depressing to me so it made no sense that I would be sad to see it go. However, my self esteem is going to take some work.

Made an appointment to discuss all the changes with a counsellor next week.

I read somewhere that anesthetic can also cause a bit of depression after.

Today is my post op day 8 and no tears! Slowly starting to feel more like myself again. Hopefully the incredible tearfulness is over now and can move on to focusing on the positive changes.

When I was really sad, I just cried and talked a lot with my best friend. My partner somewhat but we are long distance right now and he isn't much help. That made it harder too.

So suggestions I would have are to talk and talk, let yourself feel the things you do, it's normal. Do some really caring and nice things for yourself too.

wow I really relate to everything you mentioned! Nice to know that others feel this way. thank you for responding, good luck on your journey!

You are very welcome and good luck to you too. This is a great place to vent. Alot of us felt that way I found out this week.

I am an emotional eater in the truest sense of the word. A few days after I was banded, I was pretty depressed and said things like "I made a huge mistake, get this thing out of me now!" I missed food and was just miserable. I cried a lot and without food to comfort me, everything seemed very dark and depressing. I felt like I was in detox or something. When I finally got to solid foods again, I wasn't depressed anymore, but something a little odd was happening. I would lie in bed at night and remember painful or uncomfortable memories from my childhood and teenage years, and I realized these were all things that I had buried in food that I never truly dealt with. I talked about the most difficult ones with my therapist, and the others, well...I just allowed myself to feel the emotions attached to the memory and was able to let it go. It was actually a big relief to release all of the negativity I had been keeping inside all those years.

Food was definitely the crutch I used to deal with a lot of negativity in my life, and when that was taken away it was very stressful for me. This may be why you're feeling a little down, or it could be that the lifestyle change is sinking in. Either way, it gets better and you will be just fine. If I can do it, anyone can!

Try and do something like go for a walk or go out with your family, a change of scenery sometimes gets you out of feeling the way you do at the moment :)

you are all helping so much, I did go on a short walk this evening with my family, then I went for a drive and decided to pick up a small container of Soup and mashed potatoes, felt so great to go out and do something and also to eat a couple of bites of something that tasted different. So feeling a lot better for now.

Good to hear ... getting back to normality is sometimes the easiest way to brighten the mood :)

4kmarie, I was the same way, I'd look at my husband and say what did I do, what did I do? or he would just look at me and I would break down in tears. and say if I could get this thing out of me today I would, I would,

4 weeks oout and slowly losing weight, the tears have stopped and even though I am still having problems on food choices, balancing, and timing I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. this is just the beginning, how can I consider it a failure if I havent even given iit/or myself a chance?

Its ok to have tears, get them all out and start your new life! we all will laugh.png

The feeling is Natural, Trust me This too shall pass, in about 6-8 weeks, you will be on cloud 9... Keep your head up, you will be Great

Thank God I found this forum I had the only crying fit last night and this morning. I feel as if i made a selfish decision cause now I can't hold my lil one for two weeks. Can't cuddle my big guy cause I am scared he could kick my incisions ( after all he is only 3 yrs old). My hubby thinks I am nuts cause I've cried everyday since having my surgery on the 23. I just wanted to do this to be healthy for my boys. Please let the next two weeks fly. I am sending good thoughts to all of u.

It should pass soon. I had the same thing happen and I am a psychotherapist. I was sensitive, crying etc. the surgery and rapid weight loss in first couple weeks reak havoc or your hormones and then going from being able to chew to drinking things is alot of the culprit. Thank God I met a lady on FB whose a nurse and had the band. I just worked through it. Almost menstrual cycle went wacko as well

I've heard that with any surgery it is natural to go into a depression afterwards. Doubly so if you have had bariatric surgery, I would imagine, because it involves such a major lifestyle change. Not to mention that anesthesia can cause you to feel down for several days too! I am pre-op still, but am keeping an eye out for depression after surgery, especially since I went into such a downward spiral after my gallbladder surgery last year. It amazes me that none of my doctors, not even my therapist, told me that this was normal! I had to read it in a WLS book.

Hang in there, it will pass. If you're not feeling better in a month or so, talk to your doctor please.

Sending you hugs and prayers <3

My sister had WLS ten yrs ago and warned me that I might go through a grieving process for my old eating habits. I didn't, but was so still glad she had given me a heads up on what could happen.

My sister had WLS ten yrs ago and warned me that I might go through a grieving process for my old eating habits. I didn't, but was so still glad she had given me a heads up on what could happen.

I think we are grieving not only for our old eating habits but our old lives, the things we have gone through to get to this point.