Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Until Surgery And I'm Losing It..help!

I'm being banded February 15th (next Wednesday!!) and i've been on a clear liquid diet since February 7th..I've been really struggling with this and not doing so well..but now it's just getting unbearable. I'm only allowed Jello, broths and Isopure. I'm suppose to be getting atleast 2-2 1/2 bottles of isopure down a day and the last couple days i've only been able to get down 1/2 a bottle..it dries my mouth out SO bad and my throat to the point it feels like I'm choking, it's so wierd. Everytime I go to drink isopure, sip some broth or have some jello I feel on the verge of gagging I'm so sick of it. So I've yet to eat anything today, I don't think I'm ever going to want to see this stuff ever again and what really upsets me is lots of people only had to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery and me doing it for a week and I'm already sick of it, and I have to do it another week after surgery? I am so hungry right now but i'd rather starve right now than eat/drink anymore of that crap. I hate sounding so weak and pitiful but this has got to be one of the hardest things i've ever done... :(

Oh you can do it....maybe try going for a walk when the urges hit....are you haveing enough protein....I got the Unjury chicken broth it is very good and holds me for 4 hrs...I will be thinking of you...wow 3 days to go for you !!!!

Hi mrsmyers2010

I can understand how you must be feeling, I had to go on a milk diet for 2 weeks before my surgery and it got to the point that i hated even the thought of milk but what kept me going was that this surgery has cost me every part of my savings and i new that i had to stick to it as i didnt want the dr to open me up and then say sorry i cant do it cos you didnt stick to your liquid diet.

The couple of weeks after the op will be a little uncomfortable and tbh i dont think you will really care about what your eating or not, but remember that this whole process is worth every bit of the uncomfortable feelings you will have, and as you will start to relise that it is probably one of the most important dissions you will make in your life and i can honestly say that it was the best thing i ever done.

my good wishes and suport to you and i hope your surgery goes well

Can't believe your pre op diet is so restrictive. Clear liquid pre op is insane. I was able to have two Protein Shakes made with Water and Protein Powder and for dinner chicken or fish and veggie or salad. I lost 15 lbs on this diet. The diet your on I had post up for four days. I feel for you.

Wow, that is EXTREME, you poor thing. No band to help you through. Just try to keep focused on the surgery. You are doing this to have the safest surgery possible. It is what your surgeon believes gives his patient the healthiest surgical experience possible. Can you have any clear juices to break things up at all? Some apple or white grape would go a long way to help out.

I think I'd be doing as much sleeping as possible. :(

Oh hunny? Why are they making you do such extreme pre-surgery diet? my lord. My doc told me I could eat whatever I wanted untill midnight before my surgery... i had a fricken steak. Is there a specific reason he wants you dieting pre-op? was it something to do with the size of your liver?

This is standard pre-op procedure for them supposedly. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with me or anything, unless it's due to my size? I'm 300, well I was now I'm down 12 pounds...

This is standard pre-op procedure for them supposedly. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with me or anything, unless it's due to my size? I'm 300, well I was now I'm down 12 pounds...

I honestly think that your surgen wants to make sure that your liver is not too big for him to move to be able to proceed with the opperation

I agree completly, it must have something to do with your size/liver. I was on the "low end" of the bmi scale to have this surgery so I didnt have to do any diet before hand.

I'm being banded February 15th (next Wednesday!!) and i've been on a clear liquid diet since February 7th..I've been really struggling with this and not doing so well..but now it's just getting unbearable. I'm only allowed Jello, broths and Isopure. I'm suppose to be getting atleast 2-2 1/2 bottles of isopure down a day and the last couple days i've only been able to get down 1/2 a bottle..it dries my mouth out SO bad and my throat to the point it feels like I'm choking, it's so wierd. Everytime I go to drink isopure, sip some broth or have some Jello I feel on the verge of gagging I'm so sick of it. So I've yet to eat anything today, I don't think I'm ever going to want to see this stuff ever again and what really upsets me is lots of people only had to do clear liquids the day before surgery and me doing it for a week and I'm already sick of it, and I have to do it another week after surgery? I am so hungry right now but i'd rather starve right now than eat/drink anymore of that crap. I hate sounding so weak and pitiful but this has got to be one of the hardest things i've ever done... sad.png

Im hearing you, l also have my lap band on the 15th. I have been on optislop as they call it for 2 weeks and l just want a piece of toast with real butter, just one will do.... I agree one of the hardest things l have had to do, so hard when you have to cook dinner for the family, almost over, perhaps l shouldnt say that as its fluids again for a couple of weeks after the band.... Think positive, positive, positive thats what l get trying to tell myself...... Goodluck...

I only had to do one day of Clear liquids. But like so many I had to do the two shakes and then the meat and veggies for dinner thing pre op. Plus one day of Clear Liquids. I think it's probably because of your liver. Just hang in there. I'm three weeks post op and I have a hard time getting all my fluids/food down. I'm only eating one pureed meal a day at this point.

The worst thing you can do is sneak a bite of something. Because you know, for people like us, one bite is never enough.

I was on clear liquids for a week pre op too -- it really is awful! Its just what my doctors practice requires for everyone, but is hard logging on and reading about people who can have whatever they like pre op, isnt it? Who knows whats best and whats just overly cautious, no agreement amongst doctors it seems, but better you stick with what youre told just in case! Hang in there, its not forever!

The pre-op diets are to shrink the liver making the stomach easier to visualize. However, clear liquids for that long is difficult even for someone who is sick! I feel for you, I would be starving for a little something creamy for sure. While my surgery isn't until 3-9 my pre-op diet begins on the 29th. South Beach Phase One is my surgeons’ preference. I d/l the kindle version of the book The South Beach Diet Supercharged today, haven't looked at it but it is supposed to have some good recipes in it.

You can do this, WE can do this. Keep your eye on the big picture........a healthier, happier YOU.

D Banane23.gif

South Beach has a recipe for pureed cauliflower that is supposed to taste like mashed potatoes. Don't believe it for a second! Worst tasting slop ever! However, it does LOOK LIKE mashed potatoes......yuck! Good luck!

I am having my surgery on the 20th and I have been on my pre-op diet since the 6th. It's five Protein Shakes (OptiFast) a day.... that's it. Pre-op diet's suck but it's going to be worth it in the end! : )