Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everything Is Lining Up Perfectly...but Only One Hurdle Is Preventing Me To Go Forward (Help !!!)

Thank You for Looking At this Post - And Welcome as I would love to get your advice !

In a nutshell, my brother was 429lbs and is now down to 160lbs and he used the Alergan Lapband not the realize band. So I know gentically my brother responded well to the Allegan Band (but my brother is also very passive in terms of sports ect..)

In terms of my doctor and cost ect...I've researched my doctor fully, TONS of experience, only $5000 cost for the surgery in Tijuana, Mexico, Hospital is immaculately clean (all good right....so far so good)(?)

However, my only concern is after seeing the Allegan Band and Realize Bands first hand (at a local doctors office here), it appeared that Realize Band was alot less bulky and stable as it had an added "sleeve" feature which you can tell is more of a stable fit around the stomach. Plus...I'm very active, love working out...and am a classic guy that loves to play sports. So to me....the Realize Band would be a better fit for me given my nature and sports activities that I play.

That said....should I not be paranoid about having the Allergan Band versus the Realize Band that appears to be the perfect fit for me? I mean...everything else is perfect outside of the doctor not being locally here in the US. My doctor said...absolutely he only does the Allegan Band as he has had much success using the Allergan Band ...so why change now.

Am I too paranoid or should I be a little concerned? Thoughts?

I think you are over thinking this.

Neither band is going to make any difference to your ability to play sport. If as you say you are sporty and do exercise a lot that should make your weight loss journey easier.

Your Dr is perfectly qualified to decide which band to use .

Having been a member of this board for approx 3 years my thoughts on the subject are that both types of band work well but typically people who have the realize band need larger amounts of Fluid before they feel any kind of benefit from the band. i have even heard of people with realize bands having more Fluid in their band than the band should be able to take. It all has something to do with the fact that it is marketed as a low pressure band.

I would say if you are happy with the Dr then you should be happy to go with whichever band they use.

Hopefully you are not using this as some kind of excuse not to go ahead?????

I think you are over thinking this.

Neither band is going to make any difference to your ability to play sport. If as you say you are sporty and do exercise a lot that should make your weight loss journey easier.

Your Dr is perfectly qualified to decide which band to use .

Having been a member of this board for approx 3 years my thoughts on the subject are that both types of band work well but typically people who have the realize band need larger amounts of Fluid before they feel any kind of benefit from the band. i have even heard of people with realize bands having more Fluid in their band than the band should be able to take. It all has something to do with the fact that it is marketed as a low pressure band.

I would say if you are happy with the Dr then you should be happy to go with whichever band they use.

Hopefully you are not using this as some kind of excuse not to go ahead?????

Actually...in everything in life...I've had an attitude of not having regrets on ANTHING. Although the Alergan Band has been very successful with so many people (including my own brother), when I saw and touched both bands personally, in my spirit the Realize Band seemed so much better FOR ME.

However, I am open to the Allergan Band...but wanted to get other people's thoughts. After all....this decision (to get a foreign object in you), IS NOT a milk and Cookies issue here...especially when your a person like me that guards against regretting any MAJOR DECISION in life...

The idea of getting a major lapband device in me is one thing....regretting afterwords (if complications would occur..... unexpectantly of course) that the band I really wanted wasn't in there, IS A WHOLE NOTHER BALL OF WAX....that I really would really like to avoid (again...if something were to occur). Post Purchased Pistoffness would then likely to occur and I don't like to be mad Elcee 001_tt2.gif

Thoughts ?

I agree with Elcee. My doc also abandoned the Realize band because it needs more fills/maintenance etc. If your lifestyle is to be active, I would think getting the band that requires fewer doctors appointments and works within the fill range it is supposed to work would seem like the better option. Low pressure has nothing to do with what it does to your stomach to make it work. You won't feel the difference other than needing more fills to get the right pressure to make you feel not hungry.

I agree with elcee u are definitely overthinking this whole issue.. why would u be more worried about a small peice of plastic being placed into your body as against all the co morbilities that being obese can cause, to me a peice of plastic v diabetes, and all those complications, heart disease, high blood pressure everything far outweighs the placement of a lapband.. wait till u get older and need a hip replacement or a knee replacement or a pacemaker would u still think u didnt want a foreign object in your body ?..

try and get past what the negatives in your mind are and look at the positives.

I understand this is a huge step and you want to have no regrets. I totally get that, as I too, am an admitted over thinker. I did wonder which band my Dr used, and at my preop appt with him, he actually asked me if I had a preference in brand of band. I asked him what HIS preference was, because, what the heck do I know. His answer was pretty simple. He used to like the realize band, until he started having a few ppl with problems post op, and actually had to remove a few. He now only uses the lap band, but does leave it up to the patient if they are adamant about the realize band. Mind you, my surgeon has 15 yrs experience in weight loss surgery, and my surgery was done at a Center of Excellence. I do feel that I made the best choice in choosing the lap band, for all the reasons my friends listed above. For over thinkers like us, it is best to give yourself to your dr and his staff and let them take care of you. It's the only way I didn't crack up from nerves. Lol. Good luck!

I agree with elcee u are definitely overthinking this whole issue.. why would u be more worried about a small peice of plastic being placed into your body as against all the co morbilities that being obese can cause, to me a peice of plastic v diabetes, and all those complications, heart disease, high blood pressure everything far outweighs the placement of a lapband.. wait till u get older and need a hip replacement or a knee replacement or a pacemaker would u still think u didnt want a foreign object in your body ?..

try and get past what the negatives in your mind are and look at the positives.

That is too funny...having peace and making sure I have no regrets...yeah...that is overthinking...SUREEEE . But I see past that comment and thankyou for your input teeth_smile.gif

:) ofc making sure u make the right decision and no regrets is what we all should do, i was more focused on the foreign object angle ... A lap band is fairly minor surgery, although expensive if u are self pay like i was .. to me it was the simplest solution to a life long problem :) .. good luck with it anyways

A

smile.png ofc making sure u make the right decision and no regrets is what we all should do, i was more focused on the foreign object angle ... A lap band is fairly minor surgery, although expensive if u are self pay like i was .. to me it was the simplest solution to a life long problem smile.png .. good luck with it anyways

Awesome Cazzy ....

Any other opinions and thoughts out there?

Blessings to you,

MD

Any other thoughts out there? Again...perhaps its not a big deal to get the Allergan...but when I held the band and compared it to the Realize....the Realize was definately alot more forgiving and alot less combersome. For those that have actually seen and felt both bands...you know exactly what I mean.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are this: you are looking at it from an emotional reaction to feeling the device in your hands. Do you have any medical reason why you feel the Realize band would be better? Just because it appears less cumbersome to you does not mean it would be better.

A spare tire in a car is much less cumbersome than a tire meant to be used at regular speeds for long distances. Does that mean you should use that spare tire full time? I don't know, ask your mechanic. I believe the mechanic would say NO WAY. Use the real tire as it is much heavier and meant for that job.

I am not saying that the Realize band is not for you. I am just asking if you are qualified to make the determination as to which band is the proper one for you. I put that decision in my surgeon's hands. I figure he is the one that will see my anatomy and know what his experience shows will work best. Just because I like the Porsche doesn't mean that I don't need a Hummer for my life-style.

Did you ask your surgeon about your life-style and how the Allergan band would react? With an Allergan band you can get a normal or low-profile port. The Realize band only has one type of port, to my understanding.

Have you asked what difference a high pressure vs. low pressure band would make for someone doing the sports you do? Are you doing hard contact sports? If not, I cannot imagine how it could make much of a difference. There are bandsters on here who do full contact martial arts. I don't know which bands they have. But if you really, truly want a Realize band, and your Dr. doesn't offer it, then it is time to find a new dr.

My thoughts are this: you are looking at it from an emotional reaction to feeling the device in your hands. Do you have any medical reason why you feel the Realize band would be better? Just because it appears less cumbersome to you does not mean it would be better.

A spare tire in a car is much less cumbersome than a tire meant to be used at regular speeds for long distances. Does that mean you should use that spare tire full time? I don't know, ask your mechanic. I believe the mechanic would say NO WAY. Use the real tire as it is much heavier and meant for that job.

I am not saying that the Realize band is not for you. I am just asking if you are qualified to make the determination as to which band is the proper one for you. I put that decision in my surgeon's hands. I figure he is the one that will see my anatomy and know what his experience shows will work best. Just because I like the Porsche doesn't mean that I don't need a Hummer for my life-style.

Did you ask your surgeon about your life-style and how the Allergan band would react? With an Allergan band you can get a normal or low-profile port. The Realize band only has one type of port, to my understanding.

Have you asked what difference a high pressure vs. low pressure band would make for someone doing the sports you do? Are you doing hard contact sports? If not, I cannot imagine how it could make much of a difference. There are bandsters on here who do full contact martial arts. I don't know which bands they have. But if you really, truly want a Realize band, and your Dr. doesn't offer it, then it is time to find a new dr.

Thanks for your response. Yes...he only does the Allergan Band. It's Dr. Kuri...he is an amazing doctor I know.....and he will not use the Realize band because he has had so much success with the Allergan....so "why change" was his response. He is not negative with the Realize....he just doesn't want to change bottom line(and I'm sure incorporate some level of risk from his point of view of success). Not to say there would be a risk with the Realize at all.....but from his point of view...I definately understand his position.

I know a few people who have the Allergan Band and they love it.

There both good bands but, allot of people think it just wraps around the top of the stomach and thats it. It gets filled and your on your way... Not necessarily so ! Mine is stitched in place. I will describe this, the reason is to prevent slippage. This is more common in Europe which is were my Surgeon learned the Technique.

They put the band around the upper part of the stomach, then pull the stomach up and threw the band, and over the side, and stitch it all the way around by going up, and down, and around. Then hopefully the band will not slip.

You should ask your surgeon if this method is used if you are concerned about which one will do a better job. This does help me.

Most people do not have this done, and they are fine with there band, on the other hand some suffer a slip, and somehow it has to be taken care of. Now your going to Mexico for surgery. Who is going to take you on for your aftercare here. A slip is major, and if you have the band just slapped in "by the way it's a implant, not a big deal at all." You better have someone who can take care of you. Now when I was banded NO ONE would touch the Realize Band. So if you go with that, make sure your surgeon will take care of that type of band.

Research instead of thinking. It's a Implant that will be your tool to work ! Do your research, ask questions to your Dr., and get answers to written down questions that you can keep, and learn from. With all your info asked, and answered. You can make your Choice.

Hope this Helps !

I hope its not Full Contact Sports Like Football, Boxing Karate etc... You will only get your tubing broke or your port kicked in, and if the balloon in the band is filled, so is your tubing filled. If you got your port pushed in it could send the Water up to the balloon and cause it to burst.

Think about what your doing o.k....

Shirley !

I agree with 54shriley. That is the key to keeping band in place the port too. You should check into cost of fills here my insurance changed at work right after my surgery and now I have to self pay for fills at 200 a pop I've heard. Some quote cheaper cost. If you choose a band that may need more fills and with out fills band doesn't work you need to knw how much the cost in your area for fills? Good luck. Go with your best gut feels. Ha.