Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI'ers - And some other Q's

Hi...I'm scheduled to have my surgery next week and have a low BMI starting point of 30. Is there anyone else out there who started with a lower BMI like myself? What were/are your results?

I'm also wondering a couple other things...

Does everyone need a fill? Can you ever have a coke again?

I'm not telling anyone about my surgery...will I look like I have an eating disorder if we go out to dinner with friends? I keep seeing posts where people are only eating 3-5 bites of food for a meal...that will look odd - won't it? Does that last forever?

:help:

I wasnt as low as 30 though almost there now. I was 35. But to answer your questions, I've done great. I've lost 14kg (30ish lb) in a tad over 2 months which to me is super fast and more than I've ever lost in my life before. It's been easy. I had good restriction for five weeks post surgery and then had to dig in and find some willpower, just had my second fill and I"m not sure how that's gone yet. I thought it kicked in last Friday but since then we've all been spewing and pooing our guts out in this household - a bad case of gastro all around. So the lack of appetite (which is how I feel restriction) I thought was a result of the fill might just have been from being ill. We'll see over the next few days.

I think doing it at a low BMI for me was good because my eating habits had not gotten that bad yet. I was overweight and out of control but I havent had to work too hard to bring myself back into line.

Nobody would know that I have a band when I've eaten out but like you I just dont know whether that will be the case after more fills. However I"m not sure I"m ready to keep getting filled just yet, I'm still considering whether I'll go next week for my third. Not sure I need it and not sure I want it.

3-5 bites per meal, well maybe I'll come around but at present I'm not prepared to go that far. There's no way you're not sacrificing your health for weight loss at that point. I feel so much better the slight problems I was starting to develop have disappeared and I dont really care if I lose weight really really slowly. Within the scope of our culture, and of my social and family life, eating out and special occasions are important to me and I dont want to not be able to participate at all.

I did quite fine on Saturday night with friends over - 1 glass of wine and a dinner about 1/4 the size of everyone elses, a taste of dessert. I've still lost over the weekend.

In Australia it's becoming common to band people with BMI's as low as 30 because statistically once you've become obese, you stay that way, and more likely than not become more so. BMI 40 is kind of arbitrary and a bit silly, the problems exist way before then.

Wow...thanks for all the info & insight Jachut! You've made me feel SOO much better. Very helpful!

Pageantnurse - Not "obese" but "overweight" by all the BMI charts...I'm 40 lbs over what they call my mid-ideal weight at 5'2"...and I do have some other factors (arthritis, back/neck pain, joint pain), a career based on physical health and the complete inability to lose weight since an accident (diets, pills, nutritionist & exercise - I tried it all). I decided to do the surgery now rather than keep gaining and having to lose more later.

I am going to Mexico with Dr. Ortiz (www.obesitycontrolcenter.com). He came highly recommended to me and even offered a discount because my dad will be getting banded in the future (after seeing my results). They've been very helpful and I've actually had very few questions because of the amount of information they've given me...most of my questions have actually come from reading various forums and seeing "horror stories".

Although I don't think there's much that could change my mind at this point!

My BMI was 35 at time of surgery and is down to 33 now... I did this for my FUTURE. The handwriting was on the wall and like Jachut I knew that it was only a matter of time before things got much worse. My doctor did advise me that I wouldn't lose weight as fast as some other people and that I needed to be prepared (mentally) for not as a dramatic losses. I know that losing a pound or 2 a week in considered "normal" medical weight loss and I am right on track with that. I had my surgery 8 weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs-maybe more since I only weigh on my doc's scale when I get fills.

I just started the Couch to 5k plan this week and signed up for a 5k run to MAKE myself exercise because apparently that is the difference maker with low bmi. And I did this for my health and exersize is a big part of that.

As for eating out or around others-- everyone has been on a diet before-- I just tell people I am on a diet my doctor put me on.. not that I have the lap band. Or that I guess I wasn't that hungry...

I eat 4oz of food--not just bites. Depending on the food you would be suprised how much it can be. Usually I do 3 oz of meat and 1 oz of veggie because it keeps me more full for longer. Hopefully with more restriction I can do half and half or more veggie.

I am on my 3rd fill (tomorrow) and need just a bit more to keep me at the 5-6 hr mark between meals. Everyone is different with their fills... It is a highly personalized process.

Good Luck!!!

Hi...I'm scheduled to have my surgery next week and have a low BMI starting point of 30. Is there anyone else out there who started with a lower BMI like myself? What were/are your results?

I'm also wondering a couple other things...

Does everyone need a fill? Can you ever have a coke again?

I'm not telling anyone about my surgery...will I look like I have an eating disorder if we go out to dinner with friends? I keep seeing posts where people are only eating 3-5 bites of food for a meal...that will look odd - won't it? Does that last forever?

:help:

By the time I got banded, I was 30. (wish I would have just done it earlier - could have saved myself alot of heartache). My results are I'm a size 6 and holding for 10 months. I am 3 pounds lighter today and will just eat a little more today and tomorrow. On the flip side, sometimes I go up a few pounds and just skip dessert or something. My doc is happy because a fluctuation of +/- 3 pounds is perfect for maintenance....he says my body has gotten used to the weight and this will become my new weight.

If, and that's an IF...I can keep my new lifestyle and not backslide....I may not ever need another adjustment. But it's nice knowing the band is always there just in case.

Coke? (as I'm sipping on Mt. Dew...) yes. I can. Some are able to give up sodapop altogether. I wish I were one of them. But for now, at this point in my life- dealing with my mother passing last month, my 18 year old moving out last week, and my 17 year old leaving for boot camp 3 weeks ago, with the move..... you know - my doc says have all the soda I want! hahahah. He has advised to watch it and that 'best situation' would be to not make bad choices on foods...but geesh....just maintaining is a big thing right now.

Nah, you'll do fine. I hope your relationship with food changes like mine. I used to eat out daily. Now it's just once a week. Turning my desire for food to my my home and family makes me want to just say 'let's have dinner at my home'...and try a new dish.

Some days it seems I can eat alot...while others, I just don't want it.

This is a process and as you can see by the forums, everyone is different and what works for one, doesn't for another.

Good luck!

my bmi is 28.1 but my body mass is 31.8 do you think i would qualify for lap band surgery

kcarr I was banded with a bmi of 28. My body fat was really high, classed as obese, I have really bad neck and back pain and was snoring. If you have no health problems with a bmi of 28 I don't know anyone will band you though, but ask around.

They can fudge your BMI a bit to make you qualify. They subtracted an inch for the heels of my tennis shoes!! If you are shorter then your BMI will be higher and put a roll of coins in your pocket.

I wouldnt drink more than a small sip of soda. I have read it could make your band slip from the fizz, so I refuse to take the chance. Its not like cheating, its something that could make my band slip. More serious.

I havent cut back a lot on food, just on snacking at night and doing more walking. I am not one who is doing that 3 - 5 bites either, even if it takes me longer to lose, dont want to change my metabolism like that.

I had surgery starting weight 220lbs april 29th with a bmi of 32. I am 5'10 so I had to go to mexico to have it done. Dr. Ortiz with the OCC and had the best experience, I think they took better care of me after the surger staying in a surgery suite than surgeries I have had in the us where wham bam get out man. I did not tell anyone either. I have been in social situations and just told people i am on a diet that i am not straying from and it is Protein Shakes, since i am in the liquid phase and no alcohol and that is it. No one other than my parents and husband know and I have been to two dinner parties and a mothers day luncheon and not a problem if you just explain the diet thing and move on.

My bmi is actually 31 and I have only told my Fiance(who doesn't agree), and my best friend, who is supportive but don't think I needed. I am also going to Dr. Ortiz and will be banded June 26. Im excited and hoping that this tool will be a big help in assisting me to become healthier

Oh I am so glad to find others who are doing/did the same thing as me. I am 5 foot 10.5 inches, with a BMI of around 30. I know that the weightloss will be slower but I am prepared for that. The only people that know are my best friend and brother who are supportive and my boyfriend who doesn't think I need to change a thing about myself. He is worried that if i lose weight that I will leave him :). I will not be able to tell my parents simply because they will worry about getting surgery (especially in Mexico).

I am likely getting it done in Mexico (I am from Canada) in November. It will be a long flight home for me. How much pain will I be in during that flight? Should i stay longer in mexico to avoid a painful ride home?

I have been banded for over a year ago and wouldn't have change being banded for a thing. It is a great asset in my life. Although it isn't easy and at times trying and frustrating, (especially if you want to eat the same as you did before banding) but its worth it.

When I got banded my bmi was 33. I lost my band when my bmi was 26 and got rebanded when my bmi was 25.

Right now in my lap band ap small ( 10ccc) I have a 5.3 fill. It is an ok fill but I am not losing weight with it.

Though I don't drink cola, I do drink diet cola sometimes but I let it sit a while to get the carbonation out.

I also didnt tell anyone about my surgery. Though some people noticed and asked questions I just said I don't eat a lot and they have grown used to it. Everyone says I eat like a bird but since I am only 160lbs now at 5'6 they don't think I had a gastric bypass or anything.

As for eating out, pick something that you can eat "more" of. Obviously a big steak or Pasta would be a bad idea, but a stew or salad would be a better idea. Also pick at the plate and move things around so it looks like you ate more and offer people some of your food so the portion goes down. You can also make excuses to why your not hungry etc ( on my blog I have a list of excuses I use)