Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have to stay overnight after the procedure? Or is it generally an outpatient surgery?

It depends on your surgeon and (in my case) the insurance company. I had surgery on January 30th and the insurance company authorized it as an overnight. My surgery was late in the afternoon and I went home at 1 this next day.

Everyone is different, you will need to talk to your surgeon. My friend and I have the same doctor, she got to go home the same day and I had to stay overnight. I didn't have any complications so I'm not sure why I had to stay and she didn't. I was absolutely fine with staying though, I was not ready to go home and take care of myself immediately afterwards.

I was supposed to go same day, but was too groggy and went next day at lunch. there is this 23 hour outpatient rule, that is you leave before then, you are not really charged for the next day.

depends on your insurance

My Dr also said it depends on if you have an AM or PM surgery.

My Dr said it depends on how soon I am really awake, able to walk to the bathroom and go, and be able to take some fluids. Some go home in 4-5 hours, some spend the night. Individual for each person and how they progress.

I was required to stay overnight. The morning after my surgery, they came to my room to bring me to get an upper gi done, and I was able to see the band placement, which the Dr said was perfect :) I was then able to start liquids and got to leave at 330. I definitely am glad I stayed, I had a lot of Fluid from the iv being pumped into me all day and night, so it was good to have a nurse there to help me get up when I needed to use the bathroom. It was also great for pain management, if I was in pain, they would add meds to my iv and I would be all set almost immediately!

I have medicaid and my surgeon said that they might try to fight me staying overnight but he requires it...and said I will be. I am very glad about that because I do not feel comfortable having surgery like that and just rushing home asap. I want to be there in case there are any issues. My surgeon said he feels more comfortable having me stay as well...makes me glad that he is so caring and thorough. I love him, he is so sweet!

My surgon said that if you have insurance he requires you to stay over night. If you dont, then it is an outpatient surgery and you go home that day unless you choose to stay.

I think it does depend on the surgeon. Mine was done as outpatient in a hospital surgical center.I was there only a few hours. When I woke up in recovery I immediately needed to use the restroom and had a nurse help me so that I could go. I wasn't groggy and was stable on my feet and they released me. Of course I couldn't drive for 24 hours but my husband drove home and then we went to the pharmacy to get my pain meds. From the time we left for the hospital and the time we got home we were only gone 6 hours and the hospital where I had my surgery was 45 min away.

I had great support at home and my husband was there to help me get around if I needed it. I was fine however, if my surgeon would have required an overnight stay I wouldn't have minded.

My surgeon said that he will keep me overnight, although it will be less than 24 hours, so it's still considered "outpatient."

My surgeon let me make the decision. I was banded at The Lap-Band Center of Oklahoma in Tulsa, it's been open barely a year. It is a very small and personal facility, only three of us were banded on my day. The staff is absolutely wonderful and I was called the evening of my pre-op and the evening of my surgery to see how I was doing. I felt so great I chose to go home the same day. Dr. Ladd Atkins is my surgeon and I named my band after him. Not only is he a hottie. But, I now have hope for a healthier life.

My daughter had it done last March at another hospital and it was outpatient.

I am scheduled for this Wednesday and my dr. requires overnight.

I don't think there are any set standards because the doctors all seem to have their own.