Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Eat Without Throwing Up????

for a week now every time i try to eat it fills like the food is getting stuck and i have to throw it up. it does not matter what the food is and i am even chewing food very carefully now, which i never had to do before. I am now getting scared to even eat. And it is affecting life, because we eat out a lot and i will not go now and i will only bring food home so I can run to the bathroom when needed. any ideas what is going on??? :(

Need to go in for a fluro

Need to go in for a fluro

What's a fluro? I do okay getting down Soups, chili, mash potatoes, green Beans but almost everything else comes back up as well.

A Fluoroscopy is an x-ray that shows how Fluid or food move through the band. Also the position of the band and port etc. I have had one everytime I had a Dr's visit or a fill. You watch it as your Fluid runs through the band. It is really neat and you could see if something it wrong with you band. Too tight, slipped, etc.

Cheri

Thanks Cheri. I'll have to ask my doctor about that!

Thanks

I have dr appt tomorrow and they have scheduled me a fluro on friday. we'll see whats going on.

I am having the same issue. I can't eat or drink anything without it coming back up. I lost my job so i no longer have insurance. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm starving and I'm very thirsty. Most of all I'm a bit scared.

sounds like you too need a little bit taken out msladymm. I had the same problem going on yesterday. Soup for lunch was going down slow, but as soon as I started spitting out saliva I knew it was time to get in there. So my fill from the week before was removed.

I've had the same issue for a little over 5 months now, and as posted above it is psychologically debilitating. i visited a GI and he prescribed me a subliminal muscle relaxant called Hyoscyamine. the idea behind it is that if you take it 30-60 minutes before you eat it will relax your esophagus so you can swallow. it works, but there is a relatively narrow window where you can eat food slowly without it getting stuck at the bottom of your esophagus. its not a solution though because its a crappy way to live. the doctor called the symptom esophageal spasms. ill re-post if i find someone who has a solution online and ill link.

Link to symptom info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/esophageal-spasms/DS00763

for a week now every time i try to eat it fills like the food is getting stuck and i have to throw it up. it does not matter what the food is and i am even chewing food very carefully now' date=' which i never had to do before. I am now getting scared to even eat. And it is affecting life, because we eat out a lot and i will not go now and i will only bring food home so I can run to the bathroom when needed. any ideas what is going on??? :([/quote']

You need to call your Dr office ASAP!!

I've had the same issue for a little over 5 months now, and as posted above it is psychologically debilitating. i visited a GI and he prescribed me a subliminal muscle relaxant called Hyoscyamine. the idea behind it is that if you take it 30-60 minutes before you eat it will relax your esophagus so you can swallow. it works, but there is a relatively narrow window where you can eat food slowly without it getting stuck at the bottom of your esophagus. its not a solution though because its a crappy way to live. the doctor called the symptom esophageal spasms. ill re-post if i find someone who has a solution online and ill link.

Link to symptom info: http://www.mayoclini...-spasms/DS00763

I'm so glad that I found this post. I was banded in 2009 and I was doing great until about seven months ago when I started having the same issue of not being able to eat anything, heck there were times when I couldn't even get down milk or Water. I've been through tons and tons and tons of test everything from a cardiac cath, stomach emptying study and so on, it's been brutal and expensive to say the least. My doctor called it esophageal spasams or esophageal parastalis and wants me to have motility study done.

I'm just glad I'm not alone. Thanks for posting this...

I'm so glad that I found this post. I was banded in 2009 and I was doing great until about seven months ago when I started having the same issue of not being able to eat anything, heck there were times when I couldn't even get down milk or Water. I've been through tons and tons and tons of test everything from a cardiac cath, stomach emptying study and so on, it's been brutal and expensive to say the least. My doctor called it esophageal spasams or esophageal parastalis and wants me to have motility study done.

I'm just glad I'm not alone. Thanks for posting this...

well funny you replied just as i was typing this. i searched online for a good hour and found the perfect candidate. its called Achalasia. Achalasia is a rare disease of the muscle of the lower esophageal body and the lower esophageal sphincter. it causes the lower esophageal sphincter to tense up so it can't relax enough to let food into the stomach, so that is why muscle relaxants help to alleviate it. However, if the pills are taken too close to bedtime the sphincter relaxes too much and allows stomach acid to flow into the esophagus, causing reflux. heres a link to the website where i found it: http://www.medicinenet.com/achalasia/article.htm

I'm starting to research magnesium and Calcium deficiency as possible causes, since my symptoms started between the months of november '11 and january '12 when i was on an extremely high Protein diet. ill re-post later if i find any correlation.

correlation between diet and achalasia is unknown, but there are several procedures that can alleviate the spasms and there is a surgical option called Laparoscopic surgery that has been known to eliminate both spasms and reflux symptoms of achalasia. Read the forums on the following website to decide what treatment is best for you. i also recommend seeing a GI who specializes in achalasia cases, since most doctors, including the GI i talked to, have no idea what achalasia is and can easily misdiagnose/treat the illness. the website is: http://achalasia.net/forumv3/index.php

i highly recommend to anyone who has this affliction to talk to a Gastroenterologist about this and do your own research into it.

Thanks Ryan! I will do some research. I have a phenominal GI doc, who I trust with all of my hear and soul. But, I have to tell you I did something today that I never thought would work, but it did. A friend of mine told me to go to a hypnotherapist to see if he could help and believe it or not I CAN EAT!!! Basically, he put me into a hypnotic state and then had me visualize the muscles contracting and pushing the food down. I'm praying that it stays working. I'll let you know how I do a few days out.

Have a great day

Stacy