Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Done And Done, Both Doing Well!

My guy had his surgery Monday, and I had mine Wednesday. We had the same surgeon and same OR team, and even ended up staying in the same hospital room, one after the other! Neither of us have had much pain. We both took Percocet the day we came home but not after that. He's doing well on iced coffee, chicken and beef broths, Italian ice and popsicles, and as of yesterday had lost 6 pounds in 5 days. I turn out to be allergic to something in broth, popsicles, and Italian ice, so I've been putting the rice Protein Powder in my coffee and sipping on it all day. This morning I took my pills with apple juice - a slow process, one at a time, took an hour! I'm being careful with the pills now, since last night I took a handful at once and had some nausea, which went away with more Water. I'd gained 2.5 pounds of Water weight by the day after surgery because I stopped my diuretic, but I've restarted it and have lost that weight, and I'm now down another 2.5.

We both get to eat mushy foods Monday. I don't know why my surgeon said I only have to stay on liquids through the weekend and told my guy a week, but it's fine - we'll both be on the same schedule. We both see the surgeon again February 7th and get the ok for real food.

This is cool: I'm learning to distinguish what the doctors call "normal bowel sounds" from what I call "hunger gurgling" by taking my blood sugar when my abdomen gurgles. Just now I thought I had a hunger gurgle, but my blood sugar is 142, which is like an after-meal reading, so I now know it was a bowel gurgle, I'm not actually hungry and I don't have to rush to drink something with sugar in it. Very useful.

Today I have to go to CVS and get some smallish Calcium pills, since it turns out I'm allergic to the gummies - bad asthma attack from just one, even the one without soy. I can cut up the usual Multi-Vitamin into small pieces, but the Calcium ones are like horse pills, and actually I can't try cutting them because I gave them away last week with the food. I cleaned out the refrigerator, freezer and pantry closet of all the stuff we can't eat now and ended up throwing away four tall kitchen can trash bags and donating four large grocery bags of nonperishables to a local food pantry.

All in all, we're both glad the surgery is over and we're already losing weight without much effort. Wow.

Swallowing pills and capsules can be tricky, especially as you get more fill in your band. Some pills and capsules should not be cut up or opened (ask your doc if that applies to any of yours). I use chewable Calcium by Bariatric Advantage (you can also try Viactiv, from any drugstore) and chewable adult Multivitamins (Centrum Silver for me).

I've gotten several versions of taking pills. that now anything you take has to be in liquid form and that you can take your pills you just have to take an antacid shortly after because of stomach juices? can someone else give me their versions?

Good for you donating that food! I'm so glad you and your husband are able to do this journey together. Having a person so close to you doing the same thing must be so comforting. Good luck.

I still don't swallow too many pills. Surgery 10/28/11, I use liquid Calcium and multi. no sugar, no preservatives, just good stuff.

Calcium should be calcium citrate for best absorption.

I've gotten several versions of taking pills. that now anything you take has to be in liquid form and that you can take your pills you just have to take an antacid shortly after because of stomach juices? can someone else give me their versions?

Taking an anti-acid pill to make it possible to take Vitamins, minerals, or medications seems silly to me, but if your surgeon tells you to do it, do it. The main thing about taking pills and capsules is that if they're too big, they can get stuck in your stoma. Not only is that uncomfortable, but depending on the contents of the pill, it can corrode and inflame the surrounding tissues. I don't think there's one hard-and-fast rule that applies to everyone, because we're all different and even in the same bandster, the ability to swallow foods and meds varies depending on restriction, time of day, time of month, illness, stress, etc.

Jean, nice to see you on here. I bought your book off Amazon last week and anxiously awaiting its arrival. Hope to have surgery in early March.

Jean, nice to see you on here. I bought your book off Amazon last week and anxiously awaiting its arrival. Hope to have surgery in early March.

I hope you enjoy Bandwagon!

The UPS guy just delivered! Yea!

I never really had trouble with pills, even when my band was tighter than what it is now. The only times I had a problem was when my band was too tight after a fill, and nothing was staying down. That is so awsome you and your husband are doing this together! You also did a great thing clearing out the house of everything you won't be eating. I think you both are on the road to success! Make sure to start excersising once your dr. clears you. Maybe you can go on walks, or to the gym together. The whole experience will undoubtedly bring you closer together.