Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was a huge diet coke drinker before my band. I gave it up with my pre op diet. It was hard the first three days but I don't really miss it. I have tried to drink it and only had a few sips. I had some diet Dr. Pepper. It was tooo sweet. I could only drink like two sips. I feel like it is just healthier to not drink it. I am sure some once in awhile it will be fine.

I unfortunately work where there is a fountain pepsi machine in our breakroom. I too was drinking about 5-6 diet Dr. Pepper's in a day. I've actually given it up two weeks before surgery and haven't craved it at all. Funny though because I got conflicting info from my surgeons office. They say NO CARBONATED beverages ever, however one of the nurses who happened to have gastric bypass surgery said "there are no studies indicating that it has an effect on the bands, but the phosphates in soda bind to your Calcium on a cellular level so the heart thinks it doesn't have calcium to pump and it pulls it out of your bones- thats why we have a pandemic of osteoparosis." REALLY? I was shocked that she would even indicate that it "might" be ok from a lapband standpoint to drink a soda! I'm staying off of it, because I'm a junkie when it comes to soda. I've given it up and do not want to even start!

If I do have soda, which isn't often, I just let the bubbles escape for about 15 minutes. It's not flat, but close to it. If it's cold it doesn't taste bad.

I didn't drink diet coke for about 4-6 months post op but now I enjoy 1 a day at lunch time....sometimes more and sometimes less. Depends on your doctor. Some out there are very conservative and say no carbonation for life after the band, however having one now and then is fine. You have to be realistic and if having a diet coke every now and then is going to keep you sane then go for it. My dietician said if you can pour it over ice and avoid straws. I have little to no intolerances to foods or beverages though so you have to listen to your body ....we are all different! Good luck!

My Doctor never told me no soda so I allow myself one soda per week. That for me is good. Before the band I drank soda like there was no tomorrow. But allowing myself to have one a week is like my weekly "treat" It is all about what your doctor tells you and what your preferences are.

I was a huge diet soda guy for years. Hey, its diet, right?? I had my last one 24hrs before surgery and have never touched the stuff since then. That was almost 3 years ago. The other day I was curious and had a sip of diet soda, WORST TASTING STUFF EVER!! I don't miss it and was instructed not to drink it by my doctor and Nut. I must say with no caffein in my diet I sleep so much better at night. Now, I do grab a coffee once in a blue moon due to a late night here and there, but its all Water for me. I was amazed how my body responed without the soda.

I am post op 3 weeks but have a question. I have made the choice to go no soda and am currently on my fourth week off of it. I am wondering though about a friend who is fixing to have surgery. She is a soda addict and is wondering if it is possible to have a small glass of soda after lapband???

I was also addicted to soda, I stopped 3 weeks before surgery,and haven't had a taste for it since.

I would'nt call myself a soda addict but I did enjoy it and had several diet cokes the day before surgery. As the cheapskate that I am I notice how much I save not buying soda ESP when I'm out. Just think minium of $2 when you order it at a sit down restaurant.

Im 3 years post band, and didn't drink soda for about the first year mostly because I thought something terrible would happen. I wound up drinking a fresca somewhere because it was the only option, and it was fine. Now I probably drink a can of diet soda every couple of days and have had no problems. I have more problems keeping my weight down if I dont get enough total Water in a day, so for me if having a diet soda here and there encourages me to keep drinking then its a net positive. Lately I've gotten kind of hung up on these Mio things that let you squirt flavor into bottled water. I actually like it better than soda, so soda may wind up back out of the picture if I remember to keep a Mio in my purse.

i tried to drink a carbonated beverage and instantly felt miserable. wont ever do it again

I drink at Dr pepper ten everyday and it actually helps me when I have sweet craving and calms my appetite, if any. I think everyone is different. I usually do let mine sit for about 5 mins when I open it.

My nutritionist and PA at surgery center both told me to give up soda (I was a big diet soda drinker) The reasons they gave were that the carbonation can make you feel bloated, give you gas pains, or stretch the stomach pocket above the band... The nutritionist also pointed out that Diet soda, as well as regular soda cause an insulin spike, which can make weight loss slower and increase cravings for carbs.... So now that I am less than 4 weeks out from surgery I have been weaning myself off the soda. I'm trying to drink those crystal lights packets with Water all day... sometimes I just miss having a can of soda with dinner, but I'm practicing self control now to prep me for post surgery

I was a soda junkie!!! I thought I'd never be able to give it up but hey havnt had anything fizzy in 6 months!!! And never will.... All or nothing, she needs to commit.

DITTO !

Also, it is fatning, it can give a beer bally look.

I drank a glass 1 time on a very HOT Summer day, and the carbonation about killed me. I said never again ! ,and I never have !

I drink some soda but I have to be careful. I do not ever drink with a meal because soda plus food equals puke time for me. I pour my soda into a cup, let some of the carbonation taper off and sip. I was also a major diet coke addict.