Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm done.

[ I don't think people realize that posts like the one previously (or any posts that ask, "Oh gosh, maybe you could try XYZ") sometimes can unintentionally make people feel worse. There is a big difference in when people come to us asking for advice and guidance, versus when they come with finality having made a decision. Complications suck, but they you MUCH opportunity to think about what your next step will be. So OF COURSE he's probably considered every option. What's the right decision for some people is just that, and questioning decisions that people make and then announce here sometimes reads like second-guessing even though it's not meant that way. I often think this is what DeLarla gently hints at in her well-stated posts on topics like this.But lacking her restraint, I'll just move on to responding to the Original Poster.]

Jonathan,

Bless you for your experiences and for sharing them with us. We know this decision was not a hasty one, and it's been a lot of soul-searching. None of us can ever predict our journeys, but I know you'll move into the next phase your weight loss process with your eyes fixed on success. Hopefully when you're farther down the success route, this part of your journey will seem like a smaller bump on a long journey.

You deserve all the success and I know you will undoubtedly achieve it.

HUGS.

Your not a failure, a failure is some one who gives up... doesn't sound like your giving up to me. With or without the RNY or Band, you won't quit... your a fighter...you'll get there.

I'm really sorry your going thru this...but Eileen is right your not a failure:heh: Your journey has inspired alot of us and that's cause your not a quitter!!!Now brush yourself off....and let us know what the doc says about the RNY.....I'm sure your very frustrated right now(I sure would be)..but it all has a way of working out....lots of luck...........Cindy:)

Hi Jonathan,

I too am sorry about your situation and certainly don't consider you a failure. If I were in your situation I would be looking at other weight loss options too. As it is I am anxious about my own condition being a Lopez patient and the current stats regarding his erosion rates on LBT. I go in and meet the gastroenterologists in a couple of weeks and hopefully get my endoscopy from there. Either that will relieve my poor mind (considering I feel fine) or it will confirm my dreads. If erosion is my case, I most certainly am going to push for a revision as well. I doubt my insurance would cover the revision but hopefully if it is done at the same time as the removal they would pick up most of the tab. I have no idea. Anyway want to wish you the best and want to hear how it all turns out. Best wishes, Teresa

Hi New Sho,

I dont appreciate you criticizing my post to Jonathan. I ask him because I care and as a long time bandster, it is really frustrating for me to see people have a bad experience with the band because of what appears to be a combination of the wrong band, less than adequate post op care especially for someone who spent so much of their money already in pursuit of what we all want here which is to lose weight and keep it off. He has suffered a lot and I suffer for him too.

Dont mean to highjack Jonathans thread, but I have been banded for a long time and see many people come here and make decisions because insurance wont pay, they had a bad experience, a bad doctor, bad post op care or some other issue. I am sure Jonathan has thought about this carefully and is quite capable to make up his own mind. It was just a question, not meant to hurt his feelings at all.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

I am sure Jonathan has thought about this carefully and is quite capable to make up his own mind. It was just a question, not meant to hurt his feelings at all.

Everyone, please rest assured that I've taken every comment as it was intended, I know that you all have nothing but best wishes and hopes for me -- although I have seen a few disparaging remarks on LBT over the last year, I've never seen one directed anywhere near me, and have never taken offense to anything anyone's said.

And, to put everyone's mind at ease, I said that the last *year* has been a failure, and it has, as far as the band goes. I don't consider myself a failure in the least. I am, as you all know (and can surely tell) frustrated and, at times, despondant, at the amount of time, money, and energy I've put into this for the result that I've gotten. But, as I said, even if the band works perfectly 95% of the time, that still leaves 5% who are going to have troubles.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Ya know?

Peace,

Jonathan

Seems like there must be a way to reposition the slippage before you go all out and have a RNY

It's possible, and that would have to be done during exploratory surgery, which means I wouldn't be able to make a decision at the time. The problem is that because the band has slipped down, up, down, and possibly back up (I had an enormous amount of pain 2 days ago that has subsided, and have a lot of restriction right now, which leads me to believe that the band has slipped back into place and created a bit of swelling as it did it), there is a track of scar tissue that will facilitate the bands "dynamic slipping", as some call it.

See, there's more to it than repositioning. As I said, it's very possible the band is back where it's supposed to be now. But when the swelling goes down, I'll have no restriction, and when the band is filled to an appropriate level, it will almost certainly slip again. Each slip is dangerous. I've been lucky, but there's no point in continuing risking more serious damage.

The best I could hope for, if I wanted to stay with the band, is to have this one taken out and a VG put in. At my size, the VG is the appropriate band (and certainly was the appropriate band 40 lbs ago), and it's increased *thickness* (not just diameter) results in far less slippage (at least, that's what I've been told).

But, if there's too much scar tissue, which my surgeon tells me there probably is, then they'd have to remove the band, wait 6-12 months, THEN put a new one in. I just don't think I'm interested in that.

I haven't made a decision yet, but even if I made one in the next five minutes, it wouldn't be a rash one (and I don't think you were implying that it was)... I've been really thinking (and praying) about this since the first slip back in November.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Jonathan, I wish you the best of luck with these tough decisions. My dad had several complications with the band, had it removed, had the bypass and is very happy. I'll keep you in my prayers! God Bless you!

Hi

I wish I had the option (and guts) to change to something else after the band is removed.....good luck with your choices.......and weightloss.....:clap2: