Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm done.

I'm done with the band. I don't think it's a bad choice, but I'm just done with it. I have to have surgery and have my band removed -- the doctor is convinced that there will be too much scar tissue to have another one put in, or to have the current one repositioned (if it could be) . I'd have to wait 6 months to a year, then have another band put in.

No thanks.

$16,500 to lose 40 lbs. And it's been hard. I've had 10 fills/unfills now. I was completely miserable for 2 weeks after my surgery, was miserable after my slip, and am miserable when I look in the mirror and see what a failure the last year has been. I'm not looking for sympathy, or for anyone to say "but you look great" or anything like that. I'm being honest with myself. I had goals, and I failed to meet them. The lap-band, like ANY weight loss surgery solution, has a complication rate because there are, at times, complications. I rolled the dice and crapped out. Someone has to. This time, it was me.

My new insurance *does* cover bariatric surgery. I don't know what it will do for me, but I'm leaving it in the hands of the surgeon I have a consult with on March 2nd. He's supposed to be one of the best bariatric surgeons in Dallas.

If I get what I want, I'll have a revision to bypass (I think he only does RNY, not DS, but I'll ask, and try to investigate the differences) and it won't cost me anything.

If it has to cost a little, I might be able to do it, but to be honest, my wife and I are both graduate students, and the $16,500 was my life savings.

If revision will cost too much, then I'll just have the band removed. I'm pretty sure my insurance will cover that. If that's what happens, I don't know what I'll do. I imagine I'll pretty much lose my mind, or re-evaluate my decision to do without the band. Although, MY band, as it is now, is completely useless.

I feel like (for some reason) my insurance will come through for me.

Of course, with *my* luck, bypass will kill me. But, c'est la vie. Ou, peut-etre, c'est la mort.

Either way. *shrug*

I'm sorry to hear that but maybe your insurance will come through for u and will be more successful in the future....good luck

Poor Guy! Good Luck With Your Upcoming Surgery And I Hope They Can Help Reposition The Band For You. I Can Not Even Imagine How Big Of A Disappointment This Is For You. I Am New To This Forum. I Was Just Wondering What Do They Think Made Your Band Slip?

Take Care,

Rhonda

12/16/05

267/232

Wow. That is something I am very sorry to hear, man. You were one of the reasons I decided to get the band. Your success and changes were one of the many I looked at, and your transformation is memorable. I hope you stick around so we can follow your continued success. Good luck to you!!

Oh, Jonathan, I'm so sorry. But I am sure you will find the answers as to why this was, and make the most of what life has handed you. You're doing great so far! Lost 40 lbs, and gained a wife! :biggrin1:

You know what they say: Live long, and prosper. Peace.

It certainly has NOT been a wasted year. Think back. I know your weight loss hasn't been as you had hoped, but it certainly hasn't been a waste, in the big scheme of things. God is big, and has a way of turning bad situations into good ones, and it helps when we remain faithful. I pray you will, and that you will get the smile back in your posts. You have been brave, and I know you have lots of bravery left. Let us know how it goes, 'kay?

A l'envers des nuages, il y a toujours un ciel.

I am sorry that you are losing such a huge emotional investment.

Take care, Brenda

Jonathan:

I'm so sorry. I too have had lots of complications (slips) and anticipate band removal surgery soon. As hard as it is, you have to look at the 40 pounds you lost as 40 pounds you wouldn't have lost without the band. Misery or not. I applaud your courage for trying a different type of bariatric surgery. I won't because a. I don't qualify anymore b. My insurance now excludes bariatric surgery and c. I'm too afraid that I'll have problems as I did with the band.

Best wishes...keep us posted.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

That just sucks. I can not even imagine how you are feeling right now. I hope that you and your Dr. will be able to come to an agreement about what to do next. Just don't give up on losing weight no matter what you have to do. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jonathon I am so sorry this is happening to you. I do believe everything happens for a reason, so please don't give up. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

OK, so they were the most expensive 40 lbs you ever lost... $412.50 a pound. I have no idea how that stacks up against liposuction - but I bet it's comparable.

Sorry, Dude. It really sucks! I hope that your insurance does come through for you. You deserve the best!

Jonathan~ I wish you lots of luck in your upcoming desicion to get a RNY!!! May you have better luck next time!!!! My prayers are with you!!!!! (((HUGS))) Always know no matter you choice in WLS you are always welcome here!!!!!

Regarding the RNY - I say go for it! Youve got my support!!!

(((hugs))) dont forget about us, ok?