Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some support

Hey guys,

I have been around here for a week or so and every one seems so great. I have commented on a few threads and I think (hope :nervous ) I was well received.

I guess now I just need a little one-on-one support. I feeling a bit nervous and anxious, and I was hoping some one would be my band buddy. I am going for my first appt. soon and I haven't told any one but my husband (who is a bit less then supportive) and I really just want some one to talk to about this. Feel free to e mail me or add me to ur messanger list so we can chat from time to time. I would appreciate it.

Obrigada pela todas! :)

K@t -

Welcome, and I'm sure one of these wonderful people would love to be your band buddy.

I'd offer, but... Well, you know... It's probably better to have someone who still has their band. :biggrin1:

Hi Kat!

Welcome to BandLand. I am relatively new here as well but I think you will find that the people are great and so very supportive!

I was supposed to be banded this month (27th) but it was delayed due to an unexpected surgery I had to have to remove a cyst. So my new date is probably going to be late March, early April. I would love to offer any support I can! I'm not super computer saavy when it comes to this setting, but I am picking up more and more each day.

Where do you live? I am in Idaho. I know when I went for my first appointment I found I had to have quite a few other things done before I could schedule the surgery. sleep study, psychological evaluation, etc. Do you know yet what your surgeon requires?

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. I know I found this site super helpful when I was in the decision making process.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

kaylakrahmer@yahoo

:) Kayla

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support. I'm feeling a bit better already. I saw your other post Veritas about the surgery, I'm glad your doing better. Well I'm from Portugal. I'm American and orginally from Florida, but my husband is Portuguese, so when we got married we moved here.

So far I haven't done anything. I had a general check up the other day and the docotor suggested that I think about band surgery because of my history (I have been overweight since I was about 6 years old and my bmi is 40.3 and I have been on yo yo dieting for a long time) so I made an appt. with the bariatric(sp?) doctor for the 24th. I can't find much info on the procedure here in Portugal so I'm really anxious to find out the cost and the facilities where they do it. If it's any thing like the rest of Europe I'm guessing I'll pay between 3,000€ -5,000€.

I could go the insurance route, but they put you on a waiting list and some people have waitied up to two years for procedures. I was hoping to get it all sorted out and do it over my Easter vacation. I'm a teacher so I have a week then. It should be enough time to recover so I won't have to take any sick days. Any way, I haven't told any one, not my mom or grandparents or my sister who I'm really close to. I'm sure they would disapprove, and they won't see me until summer, so I was hoping to loose some weight before then so I can show them its working.

My husband has been less then supportive because he thinks surgery is a "last resort" and I'm not really "that fat" (242 at 5'5 bmi is 40.3 ahem, thats pretty fat) and that I should just try harder to diet and exercise. He's also a baby when it comes to food and wants me to cook him all the stuff his mother wouldn't let him eat. He has put on some weight since we got married and his parents blame me and my "American" cooking. piff.:) I don't shove any thing down his throat.

Any way, I've babbled enough, but these are just the kind of things I need to get off my chest to some one. Thanks for listening and I can't wait to see how things go for you. good luck! :)

I was just banded last month so I don't have much experience but if you have any questions I'll help to the best of my ability.

Hi K@t! We could be band buddies! I've had mine for 11 months and could really use some renew of my band-vigor. I've had a pretty uneventful time and there haven' been any surprises just the average band story.

I'd be happy though to help you out however I can! PM me when you get a chance. Laura

Welcome!!!!

I've been banded for a little over 2 years and I've love to answers any questions you have. I'm sure the more u stick around the more u will find that all of these people on here are very supportive & are super nice =).....

K@t,

I think a buddy is a great idea. I wish I thought of that. I can answer some questions but have not been banded for long. I would like a buddy as well. I am having a hard time as I have no restriction yet and have now gained all post op weight back : ( I would do it all over again as I know that the band is a tool that is going to work once my fill is right.

My husband was more supportive when he learned more about it. He was concerned about risks and how it would change our lives together. Maybe your husband will be more supportive once he has more info. I am bigger than you (it sounds like it anyway) I am 5'4 and 280 lbs. I have also been big my entire life and not able to keep weight off without help.

Good luck

I am new too, but banded. I go for my first fill tomorrow (yay) and I understand about the whole husband thing. Mine is like- "why aren't you happy? You've had the surgery." And my friends are asking me when it will start working. Want to bash them a little. Feel free to write if you want. I am pretty good at the correspondence thing. Sure we could find something to talk about.

Welcome, and thanks for stopping in.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Hi K@t, welcome to LBT. Good luck with your surgery, and what ever questions you may have just make a post and I am sure you will find lots of support. Glad to have you here.

I'm not banded yet, 2 weeks away, but if there is anything I can do to help, I'm here. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get here and I can't wait. My husband was absolutely against the bypass. The possible complications and the risks were way to high. He has been very supportive of me with the band though. Less risk and I will be getting so much benefit from it. I know it won't be as fast as the bypass but it will be happening slow and steady. Best wishes to you and good luck.

You are loved! It's nice to have unconditional love isn't it? That's why I love my cats and dogs. Ok - 4 cat and 2 dogs! Right now my 95 pound dog is keeping me warm and loved. It's cold out today!!

Hey there! I'm new here too. I've been tryin' to find some support for a little over a week now and I have had a few responses. I believe it will get better though--just hang in there. I'm from Tennessee and I'm 35. I have had my consult visit already (almost 2 weeks ago now). Anyway, I hope to get to talk to ya soon. May God bless you in this adventure.

Kat,

Silly girl, you are loved :) lolol

I think your DH is just very nervous about the surgery. My suggestion would be to bring him with you when you talk to the surgeon. Thats what I did and when my DH walked out of the office w/me he said.... your going for the band RIGHT? LOLOL !!! I said yes dear.

Maybe you and/or your doctor can make it clear to him that this is a serious situation of you being over weight and the older you get the more damage the extra weight can cause the body.

I too was/am fat since I'm 6 years old. I remember my first diet at the age of 10. Broiled burgers (hockey pucks) and green Beans w/no butter. OMG while the rest of my family ate meat loaf and taters... WTF???????? how sad is that to a child. But my mama tried.

Anyway..... Your gonna have to calm your DH fears and having him talk to the doctor might be the way to go.... just a suggestion.

Good luck !!!!