Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Nuts About This Concern Regarding Getting Surgery In Tijuana, Mexico?

Please don't throw stones at me with my concern but here is my dilema. I'm looking to get my surgery with Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Kuri (done my research). My wife is originally from the Philippines (only been in the US for about 2 years now), about 90 lbs, very pretty and very "non aware" type of personality when it comes to danger and suspicious people.

Because I love her so much, I don't want to go to another country, and put her at risk because of my surgery. If something were to happen to (while I"m recovering for 1-2 days)....I don't know if I could live with myself....my job as a man is to protect her...

Although I know they pick you up at the airport, and you will be in the hospital the whole time. But what if some employee (who had ties to some local gang) tipped off some people and took her to be in the sex slave industry or something. I know this may sound crazy...but my wise great-grandfather once said...."always be prepared for the what ifs" . (and what...for a surgery that I wanted/and needed because I've gain 80lbs in 6 years due to stress (e.g. from 207-287).

Again...I realize you can't prepare for everything....and you can't be afraid to go outside of your house because LIGHTENING DOES STRIKE SOMETHING....but the fact still remains...I'm putting her at risk. If my wife was an A Type personality, not fragile in built, wasn't so pretty (and innocently a little nieve), I wouldn't be as concerned as I am. I love her so much...and couldn't bare anything to happen to her (I'm even getting a little teary eyed as I type this).

Moving forward, I know my options is that I could have someone come with us to Tijuiana but this is not an option for many reasons. The only other option is to play it safe and have the surgery here for twice as much.

Any thoughts or opinions? Again...please understand my sincere concern. I want to be wise in the finances the good Lord has given us and get out of debt as soon as possible given what the world economy is going through. Saving $5,000 is alot of money.....but I don't think I could live with myself if something happen to my precious flower. Maybe...after typing this...my decision is becoming more clear.

Many thanks for your sincere imputs !

I think you have a right to be concerned and since you are so nervous about it, considering how messed up this world really is....don't do it...sounds like you have made up your mind anyway...but that's my opinion....I do however think that you should just pay the extra money to do it here...if you can. What about insurance?

I would say if you're having doubts, DON'T go there. I know it's stressing you about but saving a little money isn't worth that. Save a little more and do it in the U.S. If you're that concerned for her safety. You need to spend your time during/after the surgery focused on you, not on her safety. I can bet you'd feel horrible if you had the surgery and something did happen to her. So don't go. Best of luck to you.

You will also need some follow up visits ..... fills and such. There are many lapband docs here in the US that offer deep discounts for self-pay patients. Dr. Weaver in Denver is less than $9,000 and I have heard of some others as well.

I would look into more options here ......

there is some info on this thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/139401-considering-dr-john-weaver-in-colorado-for-lap-band-surgery/page__p__1691254__hl__considering%20weaver__fromsearch__1#entry1691254

I understand your concern. However, I had my surgery done in Mexico at Hospital Angeles. It was very safe, my mother came with me and she was in the room with me the whole time except to go eat. Although it does sound like you made up your mind. I just wanted you to know I would do it again, I didnt feel threatened at all. Tijuana is right on the border of CA, not deep into Mexico. Good luck with whatever road you choose.

Luvs

Or....dont take your wife, have one of your guy friends go with you, or better yet bring both your wife and guy friend so they can talk and keep each other busy while you are in surgery and recovery....hope it all works out!

My husband had his lapband at Hospital Angeles Tijuana last April and I went with him, and I was by myself, I would even go across the steet to the TGI Fridays for lunch or dinner. I had my lapband done at the same hospital last August, and both times we felt pretty safe. Oh and by the way both times we where there we meet other patients from all over the states (Alaska, Florida, North Dakota, etc) that we where able to talk to, and even walk down on the hallways during our recovery. I can truly say that we had a great experience during both of our surgeries, but you are the only one that can take that decision.

I would have to say that I contribute a lot of my success to the support that I get on almost a weekly basis from my Dr.'s office. I couldn't imagine going out of the country and not having close access. I went camping this past summer, had a problem and my PA came into the office that night at 9:30 for me. I paid $13,900 for my surgery, which included all the support and 3 months follow-up visits. How much is the surgery in Mexico?

I would have to say that I contribute a lot of my success to the support that I get on almost a weekly basis from my Dr.'s office. I couldn't imagine going out of the country and not having close access. I went camping this past summer, had a problem and my PA came into the office that night at 9:30 for me. I paid $13,900 for my surgery, which included all the support and 3 months follow-up visits. How much is the surgery in Mexico?

Dr. Kuri ( a well respected LB Doctor in Tijiuana) had a special rate of $5,000 which is quite attractive given his experience level.

I would say if you're having doubts, DON'T go there. I know it's stressing you about but saving a little money isn't worth that. Save a little more and do it in the U.S. If you're that concerned for her safety. You need to spend your time during/after the surgery focused on you, not on her safety. I can bet you'd feel horrible if you had the surgery and something did happen to her. So don't go. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your response KittyForet!

If you are that concerned about your Wifes safety don't take her just go by yourself. I went to Mexico by myself and had mine done and it was quite safe.

If you are that concerned about your Wifes safety don't take her just go by yourself. I went to Mexico by myself and had mine done and it was quite safe.

There is no way my life will let me go by myself. We are very close and plus she is a nurse so naturally wants to be there to monitor as well. But I hear what you saying...

P.S. I like your creative idea and thanks again for sharing !