Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time To Start Over - Looking For Non-Judgemental Help

I have been on the Ketogenic Diet since April and have lost 25 lbs. My surgery is Tuesday July 17, once I am back to solid foods I am going back on the Keto diet. My surgeon recommended it to me.

I'm doing Keto too and it is working for me! I lost weight regularly for the first year after being banded, then everything slowed waaaay down. I lost 12 pounds in the last year, and gained 5 back! I was walking more days than not and nothing was changing.

It took me a long time to figure out that in that first year when I was FOLLOWING ALL THE BAND RULES, I had cut out bread and Pasta because they didn't go down well, and I also didn't eat many potatoes or sugary Snacks. I eventually started eating a little of this. trying a little of that, and was back to a diet of basically everything. My portions were getting bigger and I was taking bites like a normal person. I was doing lots of things wrong. And the weight loss stopped! Duh.

I cut out added sugars on July 28, and then went full keto a few weeks later, and went from 195 to 179. I have a LOT of energy too. I would recommend reading the faq at this website to anyone who is interested http://www.reddit.com/r/keto.

Wow. I feel like a fraud. This is not advise because it seems to be the opposite to most of the other replies. I don't count calories or weigh my food. I eat what ever I cook for my husband and family when they come around. I eat off a very small plate, Protein first ofcouse, then veg including small amount of potatoe. I give myself permission to have a taste of what I want. Most times because I knowI can have it I don't have it. I'm well into my 60's and have arthritis and 4 protruding discs in the lower back, from being overweight for 40yrs, so exercise is limited to walking. This approach has worked for me for more than 2 yrs now. I love my band and we have a good partnership. I wish you well.

What he meant by Atkins is HIGH Protein. My nutritionist says the main part of the meal should be Protein. And you need to eat your protein not drink it unless you have an adjustment. Protein makes you feel full longer. She said eat a salad is OK but eat salad with your protein not protein with your salad!! You need to become a meat eater, but lien meat. and leafy greens too I think?

Go to the Atkins website and you can get a free sample sent out to you of some of their bars. There is also a frozen line which may give you an idea. But I'd watch the actual frozen meals because of the sodium they contain. I however, did get the chicken Alfredo one to try.

chicken (the whole chicken is good minus the skin) also cook it without the skin. tuna (and other fish like salmon) pork loin, center cut pork chops.

Greek yogurt (but this goes through quick like a liquid) I like the OIKOS strawberry and she suggested the new dannon light greek. I did not like the chiabani one.

I'm just starting out and recently spoke with my nutrition nurse who gave me all these ideas. Hope it helps you too.

Good Luck, you'll get yourself back to where you need to be!

I'm learning this process takes a lot of patience (which I normally don't have)

Carol

You know back in January getting banded was so exciting and I felt like "I CAN DO THIS" but the honey moon is OVER! I was told today @ my fill that I need to really change my diet and even though they didnt say do Atkins the list of foods they gave to me eat and to avoid is basically an atkins type diet. I feel like been there done that (atkins diet) but failed and that is why I got the band. and now I paid close to $10,000 and you want me to do a diet I already tried? But I will try really hard to do what I am told. so here are some websites that were helpful to me in the past when I tried atkins before.

www.atkins.com

http://lowcarbdiets...._Carb_Menus.htm

http://www.bellaonli...bjects/4649.asp

http://www.southbeac...site/index.aspx

There are so many out there you just have to google Low Carb and you will find so much. GOOD LUCK!

My experience (I failed the banded lifestyle and gained my weight back years ago, now I've been back on track) is that when someone decides to go LapBand, they sometimes expect the wrong things. Some folks might call the food plans "Atkins" and "diet, and that they wouldn't have gotten the band had they been educated thoroughly that they had to "diet" again. Don't be discouraged by the word "diet", etc. In place, I like to call it a meal/food plan. But since I'm back on track, I reverted to calling it a diet. Quick word. You must know that you now have to change your diet, change your entire lifestyle.

You may have tried the Atkins diet in the past, (you said you couldn't do it) but were you in the right mindset? Meaning...you're so angry about dieting again, but dieting is essential if you want the "band to work." I can't stand dieting either, but I do it because I want to succeed. And I know you want it too. Please don't be upset about what you paid for ($10,000) , you bought a tool (the band) that can help you SO much if worked right. You bought a future, you bought Life, you bought health. That is all priceless.

If you follow the doc's orders to a tee, you should be fine. I know you can do it. P.S.- thanks for the links, they're good one's.