Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time To Start Over - Looking For Non-Judgemental Help

You know back in January getting banded was so exciting and I felt like "I CAN DO THIS" but the honey moon is OVER! I was told today @ my fill that I need to really change my diet and even though they didnt say do Atkins the list of foods they gave to me eat and to avoid is basically an atkins type diet. I feel like been there done that (atkins diet) but failed and that is why I got the band. and now I paid close to $10,000 and you want me to do a diet I already tried? But I will try really hard to do what I am told. so here are some websites that were helpful to me in the past when I tried atkins before.

www.atkins.com

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbmenus1/Low_Carb_Menus.htm

http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/4649.asp

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx

There are so many out there you just have to google Low Carb and you will find so much. GOOD LUCK!

You know back in January getting banded was so exciting and I felt like "I CAN DO THIS" but the honey moon is OVER! I was told today @ my fill that I need to really change my diet and even though they didnt say do Atkins the list of foods they gave to me eat and to avoid is basically an atkins type diet. I feel like been there done that (atkins diet) but failed and that is why I got the band. and now I paid close to 10' date='000 and you want me to do a diet I already tried? But I will try really hard to do what I am told. so here are some websites that were helpful to me in the past when I tried atkins before.

www.atkins.com

There are so many out there you just have to google Low Carb and you will find so much. GOOD LUCK!

I was banded in October of 2008 and had the band let down in November of 2010. I am finally ready to try it again but it does seem like the Bariatric centers are pushing the bypass more now. I got tired of throwing up all the time. Foods that were band friendly seemed to turn against me and not be band friendly. I am ready to measure foods, chew much slower and try this again.

Hello Bandsters' date='

I'm looking for some non-judgemental help here. I have, honestly, had my band for a year. I initially lost weight, mainly from the liquid diet, but since then I've been gaining it back. This is definitely my fault - not the band's. I've been eating poorly, as I've tried to find the 'sweet spot' with the band. I went through so much throwing up when i was too tight, and then total hunger when I've been too loose. Now my doctor feels that we are 'very close' to finding the right amount of restriction.

I asked my doctor what diet I should do (I really need to follow a strict regime -- I don't do well when I don't have something to follow). He said I SHOULD NOT do Weight Watchers -- 'it's not compatible with the band. He told me to "think Atkins", but hasn't been more specific. I'm meeting with him Monday and will try to get more.

In the meantime, I would be so appreciative to learn what your successful diet has been. What do you eat for Breakfast, lunch and dinner, and Snacks? I don't really cook, but I'm in New York City so I can pretty much get anything.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice. I'm desperate to start losing weight.[/quote']

I hope things ate going better for you now,.. I was also banded in 2008 and have also gained back what I lost after begging banded....I have gone back to eating slower, not drinking with meals, and watching carbs. I lost 40 lbs before being banded just by eating slower, I put my fork down between bites, and chew...I would get tired of eating before I finished my food. Good luck!

Hello Bandsters' date='

I'm looking for some non-judgemental help here. I have, honestly, had my band for a year. I initially lost weight, mainly from the liquid diet, but since then I've been gaining it back. This is definitely my fault - not the band's. I've been eating poorly, as I've tried to find the 'sweet spot' with the band. I went through so much throwing up when i was too tight, and then total hunger when I've been too loose. Now my doctor feels that we are 'very close' to finding the right amount of restriction.

I asked my doctor what diet I should do (I really need to follow a strict regime -- I don't do well when I don't have something to follow). He said I SHOULD NOT do Weight Watchers -- 'it's not compatible with the band. He told me to "think Atkins", but hasn't been more specific. I'm meeting with him Monday and will try to get more.

In the meantime, I would be so appreciative to learn what your successful diet has been. What do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and Snacks? I don't really cook, but I'm in New York City so I can pretty much get anything.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice. I'm desperate to start losing weight.[/quote']

I was banded in Nov.2009. Went well for awhile. Had some serious health problems in my family. Lost all motivation. Today I go back to see my Dr and see if I can start all over again. Really nervous. Please pray for me.

Check out Jorge Cruise … he's all about lowing sugar and carbs. His methods work and their simple to follow. I am going to follow his suggestions as a pre-op routine. In the past, I was able to lose … and the people around me who followed his guidelines were able to lose, too. Still, it comes down to measuring and counting … I am hoping the banding will keep me motivated and focused … plus, help me to not feel so hungry all the time. Even after I'm banded I will be going off of Jorge's list of "belly good" foods. Best of luck! :D

I have been on the Ketogenic Diet since April and have lost 25 lbs. My surgery is Tuesday July 17, once I am back to solid foods I am going back on the Keto diet. My surgeon recommended it to me.

Reading the comments is scaring me. I am getting banded on May 17th. It was my understanding that you will basically always measure food and the lapband helps suppress the appetite. Reading this, it looks like everybody is really hungry and struggling with weight gain. Does the band not help???

I'm feeling the same way. I hope I'm not making a mistake.

I was in the same boat from early on. I had the band from Sept 2010 until this past Monday. I ditched the f*&^ing thing and had the Gastric Sleeve. My sister had the sleeve done in March and has lost 60 pounds in 4 months. I can't wait to see what happens.The post op pain was less, the recovery has been easier and I am not miserable so far. I never found that the band did much good for me. I lost 32 with it in 5 months and then it came to a grinding halt. I slimed and threw up more that I ever care to remember. The ER visit for dehydration was not fun either. The band isn't for everyone. Never did I find the 'sweet spot' for my band. I had that damn thing filled and unfilled 20 times at least.

If you are doing everything you shoud be and it's still not working, get rid of the band!!!

Melissa

You know back in January getting banded was so exciting and I felt like "I CAN DO THIS" but the honey moon is OVER! I was told today @ my fill that I need to really change my diet and even though they didnt say do Atkins the list of foods they gave to me eat and to avoid is basically an atkins type diet. I feel like been there done that (atkins diet) but failed and that is why I got the band. and now I paid close to 10' date='000 and you want me to do a diet I already tried? But I will try really hard to do what I am told. so here are some websites that were helpful to me in the past when I tried atkins before.

www.atkins.com

I try to think of it as Atkins plus :-) I tell my self I can have my carbs just eat Protein first.Usually I don't have room fortoo many carbs when I follow Protein first then veggies then carb.I've lost 50 lbs on Atkins twice.My problem pre band was as soon as I hit a plateau I'd give up and go back to the high carb stuff.meat and veggies is just healthier to eat than most carbs.just try to think of it as eating healthier.I hope you're doing better now ! Goodluck !

I was banded in April 2008 and just lost track over time. I have no good reason, but I never really followed the "diet" post op. I felt that restricting my portions would cause the weight loss I was hoping for....NOT....So now Im back and getting it together. Im trying to go low carb, which is working so far. Im feeling good mentally and physically.. So I restarted Sat. July 14...maybe now I'll get the weight loss Ive wanted my whole life.

I have to remember Protein first and 60 gms protein per day and 64 oz. Water per day.

ME TOO! I'm not the only one. There are some good responses here. How are you doing with your start over so far?

Well, last week I followed my eating program very well. I drank my liquids, had some nice salads, had Protein Shakes for breakfast and I havent lost a thing.....Idk...Im going to keep trying though because I swear my work clothes fit a little better this week. Could be psychological, but either way i felt better about myself.

I totally feel the same way. I feel like I have let myself down. I know that all of it is at the fault of myself. I had lost my site on the prize. I had a extreame case of the lazy's.

So...i was using the apps and eating right and then...laziness, stress, and change came to visit. I started a new position at work, I was studying for a certification exam and moving all the last six months. So...now I am strapping my boots back on and getting back to work. I just downloaded the myfitnesspal app. i will give it a try. I was using my lose it app. I love that one so I might just use both and see which one I like best.

Anyway, I think that you just can't beat yourself up. You have to learn from it and move on. Learn, and improve. So, that is what I am doing learning and improving.

Keep positive!!!