Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would like to preface this post by saying that I have had a LOT of surgeries in my life, definitely more than the average bear. I cannot recall feeling particularly nervous for any of the others...but for this one, I am extremely anxious. I don't know what it is. Not post-surgery anxiety, but actual "knock you out you're unconcious in surgery" surgery.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything help you?

I did. I really thought I was going to die. Literally. I think that the only thing that kept me going was my surgeon said no one had died with him and also I knew that if I kept on with the way I was going I would die anyways. My cholestral was high and I was fixing to be put on insulin. They don't call it "Morbid" obesity for nothing.

Just relax though. I was in and out in 45 min and the pain was most definitly bearable. I walked within the hour and I started to feel like myself again. You CAN do this.

I haven't been banded yet, but the thing that calms my nerves is thinking that, like shay said, I can either take the slight risk of dying in surgery (something like .65%) or keep on like I am and know that I will die early like my dad did (100%). Plus it helps knowing that this is the safest of all the bariatric surgeries.

I'm sure you will be fine. Your surgeon looks very capable, and I'm sure he and his team will take good care of you. Again, like shay said, you can do it.

I am also nervous as can be, and I don't even have a date set yet! I keep telling myself that after two c-sections, this will be a breeze. But my problem is, I have never been put under. Just had an epidural with one and a spinal block with the other. I think being knocked out is what scares me the most!

I have had my gallbladder removed, which is somewhat similar to the lapband surgery from what I hear, and I can tell you the worst part is the waiting. On your actual surgery day, everything goes so fast that you don't really have time to be that scared, and before you know it you're waking up in recovery. One minute the anesthesiologist is putting the mask over your face, the next thing you know you're done. You'll be fine.

I had the same problem. Here's my very weird solution: watch an actual video of the surgery from start to finish. Go to YouTube.com and search for lap band surgery. There's a five-part video made for a TV show by a surgeon in Kansas City, a Dr. Malley, who explains in detail exactly what he's doing as he operates. You can see the OR, the staff, the prepped patient's belly, how he inserts the instruments, and then you can see exactly what he sees on the monitor - what the surgery is from beginning to end. It's not gory or bloody at all. It's actually fascinating, if you really want to know what will happen. It helped me tremendously. My feeling about all my previous surgeries has been, put me under and do whatever you want, but this time I needed the "inside information," if you will!

My guy is scheduled for January 23, and I'm on for January 30th. We're both ready for a new life together. Almost like getting married again!

I am at the end of my 3 month program, and am a bit nervous now that I know my date is on the way......but so was I with child birth and a couple of other surgeries...it's normal. My sis was able to calm my nerves...she works in the operating room daily and said it's pretty minor- Low risk, although risk exist..So, normal to be nervous for sure..! I like the above posts..about the risks of staying overwieght..for those who say "why would you put something foriegn in your body..I say, think about the chimicals,bi products and plain junk I've been consuming today!

When i had my surgery, I went into the prep room, waited my turn, then was wheeled into the operating room, said hello,

and woke up in recovery. It couldn't have been easier. The nurse gave me ice chips to chew on and I walked up and down the hallway for an hour or two, and went home the next day. The overnight stay was a good idea, just in case.

The diet and getting used to being hungry is a lot harder than the surgery. Don't forget your slippers and PJs, and good

luck.

i was just banded dec 13th, it was a breeze. they rolled me into surgery at 8am with an iv in my arm, and the next thing i know they're waking me up at 9:30 ! done , and left the hosp at 11am !so far its been way less of a hassel than i thought. very little pain (like a bad pulled muscle for about 10 days) ive lost 12 lbs and have my 1st post op checkup mon jan 9th. honestly you dont have anything to worry about. good luck to you !

I stress about the IV, LOL- I dislike needles! I have a mental checklist in my head of things I don't like, and just check them off as they go by. I was put under for one of my c-sections- it happened so quickly!!

I too am extremely anxious about the surgery - being knocked out. Both of my parents died in their early 50's due to heart problems caused by weight, smoking, lack of exercise, diet, etc. Well, I don't smoke, I am overweight (duh) and exercise more than they ever did combined. Still, I'm worried. Never had surgery before and it truly scares me. My husband says it's a breeze, just like all of you. This forum is extremely helpful, glad I found it!

Try to remember that there is an anesthesiologist with you throughout the surgery not just giving you medication to keep you asleep but also monitoring your heart rate, oxygen level and blood pressure to make sure your'e doing fine while you're asleep. So you can just let go and trust your highly skilled doctors and nurses.

I was petrified. I had never been under anesthesia. Never been in the hospital. I never even had stitches. The day of my surgery, I had to walk into the OR without any meds and get onto the table myself. I thought I would die right then. But then then they strated fussing over me, and asked me to breath into the mask. I thought they just were asking cause I was panicing. The next thing I knew, I was being woken in recovery. The surgery was the easiest part. The rest is the hard part.

1. I have had Gallblader removed,appendix, and exploritory.

2. hernia repair.

3. another hernia repair

4. 4 quandrants of my mouth recontoured

5. LapBand, Hernia Repair, Scar tissue Removal, Lymphnode in the Groin removed. "OUCH !"

6. Right Knee total replacement

7.Left Knee Total Replacment

The Lap Band scared me half to Death. I was never so nervous. I was on the table for 4 hrs., and the band took 25 minutes.

Trust me,,,, don't worry ! Go out and try to Celebrate your new Birthday, and your new life.

Hope this helps

I'm scared too, surgery in 11 days. I've never had surgery and am afraid of dying. Silly, I know. The only thing that seems to snap me out of it is envisioning my new skinny body. Lol. And I try to think of the time I will actually be under, about a half hr. I tell myself its a "lunch break" :)