Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestions For A Person Who Works Graveyard Shift

I have yet to figure out what works for me since I work nights. I am usually up during the day after a 4-5 hour nap until I am getting ready for work and then up for an additional 8 hours which I seem hungry all the time. Any suggestions on meal times, meals and things to do to prevent snacking. It really is a difference in eating habits working nights vs days.

Many years ago i also worked nights for 10 yrs as a nurse and i can remember being hungry most of the night too. Im not sure theres an easy answer to this as your bio clock works so differently if u are working at night.

What i would do is concentrate on small meals more often and make sure u get plenty of fresh Protein if you can, greek yoghurt is good to fill a hole and other low fat low calorie protein rich food will keep u satified for longer. I drink tea and coffee with skimmed milk as and when i want to help stave off hunger. Some use almonds as a snack too, u can use something like home made Soup, or ww Tomato Soup is also great for filling the gap. Many people on here use Protein Shakes too either for a meal or inbetween. The thing to do is preparation, plan food to take to work and know u have something with you to snack on. Its important too to keep up exercising, i know this must be difficult as u probably dont feel like it very often, but maybe after work might help before u sleep during the day.

Sorry if this doesnt give u answers that u may want/ need but its not an easy situation and i really wish you luck with it :)

I said this in a previous post, so this might be redundant, but I bring some of the 100 calorie Snacks that you buy at the grocery store. I know there are healthier choices, but I dont have guilt about eating 2 of 3 of those a night as a 'snack'. Plus my Protein Drink. So I'm still only up to 800-1100 calories a day. Plus I pack a lunch of dinner left overs from home. You can still snack, and you probably will snack anyways, so just pack better choices. There's all sorts of those 100 calorie snacks in the cracker aisle, plus by the granola bar section there's a bunch more choices. Snack away! LOL. (within reason, I guess I should say.)