Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can See The "end" In Sight...that Leads To A New Beginning...

So I had my last appointment late in December, had my bloodwork done (I hate needles) and it was all good (high cholesterol / low vit D, but that's nothing new), and my dr sent over the last paperwork. So it will be submitted to the insurance and hopefully approved quickly. My big fear- I have BCBS of TX through American Airlines- and they are actually self-insuring, BCBS just administers it- and with the bankruptcy I'm hoping they approve it! I have not heard anything about them changing anything, but I want it approved and done quickly before they change their minds. They're definitely in "take away" mode with their employees.

So just wanted to "tell" someone, as I am keeping this just between my husband, my mom and me, no one irl to commiserate with! Glad you guys are here :)

just a question? Why keep it a secret?

just a question? Why keep it a secret?

I'm not sure what the original posters reason is for not telling everyone, but I have also made the decision not to tell certain people. However, MOST people do know. There are two key people that I have decided not to tell because they have expressed their negative opinions to me about other people who have had WLS. I just did not wish to have the negativity in my life. I went with my gut and told people who I knew would support me, and they have. I think it's a personal decision for all. Not all people are kind and/or supportive and I believe it's smarter to just not include them.

So I had my last appointment late in December, had my bloodwork done (I hate needles) and it was all good (high cholesterol / low vit D, but that's nothing new), and my dr sent over the last paperwork. So it will be submitted to the insurance and hopefully approved quickly. My big fear- I have BCBS of TX through American Airlines- and they are actually self-insuring, BCBS just administers it- and with the bankruptcy I'm hoping they approve it! I have not heard anything about them changing anything, but I want it approved and done quickly before they change their minds. They're definitely in "take away" mode with their employees.

So just wanted to "tell" someone, as I am keeping this just between my husband, my mom and me, no one irl to commiserate with! Glad you guys are here smile.png

If you hate needles.....wait till you start getting fills. They use the biggest bore needles ever made!!! Only joking.

I agree. I have not told anyone about my surgery, except close family. Read enough posts here and you see all the trouble it can bring.

It's nobody's business but mine, and I do not want to be under a microscope and judged all the time.

LOL, B-52, I know, those needles are gigantic!! I have more trouble with needles and blood than just needles, so I should be good :)

It is exactly as you said- those people who will support- ie, my husband and mom, will know, everyone else won't. Just my personal decision.

It's all crazy with rumors about what AA is going to be doing to insurance, pay, etc. So I'm checking in with my surgeon to make sure all is submitted, and to explain that we really need to stay on it.

I am not good at waiting.

I agree. I have only told my fiance, sisters, mom, dad, and grandmother, and ONE close friend. Wow. Guess I told more people than I thought. But I chose them because I can trust them, they will be encouraging and non judgmental. I definitely do NOT need to be under a microscope. It has been hard at times, to not tell the girls I work with in my office, at times I have been to so many appts they have asked me if I am ok. I have wanted to tell them when I have been having problems, or when I am feeling really excited. But then there are times when I am glad I haven't told anyone. Most of all, I think people are not informed about exactly what we have to go through, and think its the "easy way out"

Tx BCBS approved me on 1st try this was in Dec. 2011 I didn't tell a lot of people but word did get out. I feel alittle watched now but not going to let it get Me down. Make sure you tell the people you do tell that you want to keep it private.

I have told most of my family members and 3 of those family members seem to have a problem with me now. The mother knew I wasn't telling everyone, but kept trying to "out" me by making comments on Facebook about it. I deleted her. I had no choice because she just kept doing it. Some family members who made it clear to me how disgusting fat people were do not know either. Only close friends know. I'm sure other people can guess I had something done.

Tx BCBS approved me on 1st try this was in Dec. 2011 I didn't tell a lot of people but word did get out. I feel alittle watched now but not going to let it get Me down. Make sure you tell the people you do tell that you want to keep it private.

TWI- how long did it take for them to approve you? I just found out that they submitted my info last week. Does it help to call the insurance company? Or does that honk them off and they delay, LOL. I just see the end in sight, don't want it derailed. I'm glad my surgery people understand!!

It took bcbs about 3 weeks I did call after submitted 2 weeks to check on it. Not sure if that help or not they only told me it was still being processed. I was going to call again the week I got the ok . Just wanted to make sure they were looking at it. Good luck

I also work for AA and I'm considering this surgery. Have you been approved? I kept Aetna instead of going with BCBS. I wonder if it's worth going trough the process at this point. Good luck to you on this journey!

I also work for AA and I'm considering this surgery. Have you been approved? I kept Aetna instead of going with BCBS. I wonder if it's worth going trough the process at this point. Good luck to you on this journey!

I have *** aetna and was approved.