Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lap-band Right For Me?

Hey yall Ive been doing a lot of research and learning about the lap-band, and even called the surgeon today to see if my insurance is gonna cover it. Im 5' 11" and 285 lbs, with a family history of high blood pressures, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes, so I shouldnt have many problems with insurance. Im just worried if im gonna be able to stick to what I need to do. Ive read a lot about people who say they dont like the stuff they used to before they were banded. I love steaks,venison, burgers and such, and Im always having people over to grill, etc. Not that Id have to eat them a lot, but I dont know how I feel about never being able to eat a steak again. I just dont know if im gonna be able to give all that up, but I know I need to do something about my health. Is this normal? Or is hoping lap band will work for me just wishful thinking?

I eat steak ! If this helps you...

Not all the time, but it has to be tender, and I have to drag it threw a steak sauce, so that it stays moist. For me that's the key thing. Chops, chicken, Fish. I have to have a sauce for it.

So, BBQ, Tarter, Steak Sauce, Low Cal Ranch Dressing All this stuff works for me.

Now ! You won't eat the Quantity that you use to, but if you take small pieces, and chew till it's like Applesauce, you should do fine.

Hope this helps.

Shirley.

5'11" and 285 lbs puts you at a BMI of 39.7. Most insurance companies require a BMI of greater than 40 to cover surgery without any co-morbidities. From 35 to 40 most require at least 1 co-morbitity. A family history does not qualify as a co-morbidity, it is something for which you have a diagnosis. 288 pounds would put you at 40.2, so you are right on the cusp. Get an appointment later in the day and don't dress lightly.

As to foods, I cannot eat hamburgers, especially on a bun. I do veggie ones without the bun, otherwise they just get stuck. Any sandwich type food is dangerous, I tend to take bites that are too big. Dark meat chicken works MUCH better than white meat. Steak is ok if tender and cut into very small pieces. Your mileage may vary. If you absolutely cannot give up certain foods, rethink banding. You have to be able to "go with the flow" when it comes to eating. The only thing I can count on is never knowing what the day will bring.

The problem is that you don't know if you will be able to tolerate steak or not until you are banded. I can not eat steak no matter how much I chew.

I eat steak, I got stuck on it once because I did not chew it enough but otherwise no problems with it.

I can eat almost all meats - just take your time eating. You have to learn to take your time eating and eat small bites...I love steaks etc. so it was a concern for me but I'm glad I did it....as far as Buns I scoop out the soft part and am able to eat a bun...you learn how to adapt almost every thing you like to eat - believe me! Good luck... Linda

Thanks for the responses, but I dont think I worded my question correctly. Im mainly wondering how hard it is to give up things that I enjoy. If I cant stay away from them now, how am I going to be able to when Im banded? Is this the way most people are?

im 5'9 235 lbs the day of surgery. BMI was 35.

Im not back to eating solid foods again . but ive read that ppl are eating the foods they like . but making better decisions before buying it or cooking it.

you have to be willing to make some changes in your diet and buying the right foods

well your obviously concerned with your weight or you wouldnt be trying to get the lapband. So you pick... Lapband that will lead you to a healthier longer life or BEEF. You pick. If this is what you want, YOUR gonna make it happen. We can't decide for you . I wish you the best of luck. please keep us posted on your decision

I have to admit, my dr suggested the band to me 18 months before I decided to do it, for this exact reason. I felt like giving up the foods I loved wasn't something I was prepared to do.

Then a series of events made me realise what I loved eating wasn't worth what it was doing to my body. Then I was ready. I thought I would never ever be able to live without rice, and yet it was one of the first things I became intolerant to. I mourned, then I moved on, and I kept losing weight. And then I was at goal.

And then over time my band began to tolerate a lot more, or I learned to eat those foods in ways that worked with my band and 4 years down the track, I can eat rice. And the things that still make it difficult, like mangos, my absolute favourite fruit, I liken to being lactose or gluten intolerant. There are loads of other things you CAN eat, and as you eat less, you learn to appreciate textures and tastes in whole different ways (at least that's how it is for me), and you learn to love different things.

If you don't think you'll ever be able to cope with cutting some foods out of your life, then the band is probably not right for you right now. That's not to say it won't be later, but right now, probably not.

Oh and I still eat mangos. Just tiny little bits of it, so I still get to taste it. I just don't eat a whole lot.

Thanks for the responses, but I dont think I worded my question correctly. Im mainly wondering how hard it is to give up things that I enjoy. If I cant stay away from them now, how am I going to be able to when Im banded? Is this the way most people are?

It's mix and match. I like hamburgers on a bun (love the scoop out the soft parts idea, BTW!), but if I attempt to eat one, it leads to me being stuck. Which is very painful, gross, and usually ends with me leaning over a toilet. So, aversion therapy says, DON'T EAT HAMBURGERS ON BUNS! I've adapted to veggie burgers without a bun.

I love BBQ chicken. I still eat it, but my band's restriction says I can only eat 1 thigh, or else I will be in pain from eating too much. So again, aversion therapy tells me to not attempt a second because it HURTS.

So, you have to learn over time by working WITH your band what you can and cannot eat, and how much you can and should eat.

So, you might still be able to enjoy steak after banding, but you won't be able to eat the entire porterhouse. You'll be lucky to eat half the tenderloin.

That's how it works for me...

I am in the "deciding" stage as well, and am going to a seminar on the 16th... I'm kind of thinking that the band is right for me exactly for these reasons. While I am able to make some changes (I've lost 30 lbs this year with WW), I am obviously not able to make them long term, or with enough umph (I'm still 296 on a 5'6 frame) I'm hoping that a physical cue (I CAN'T eat that) will help me move on from my red light foods right now ( the red light foods are the ones I can't stop after I've started).... Maybe I'm naive, but hoping the physical cues might help me train how to move away from some of these.

Thats what im hoping sjsanto. Im just hoping I dont regret it if I do it

I think that some of you are thinking this has to do with will power. After a few fills, you physically cannot eat some of these things. You swallow it and it won't go past the band and it has to come back up. It has nothing to do with will power when it comes to steak and such. I cannot eat steak no matter how much I chew. I cannot eat bread. It will not go down and it hurts to come back up.