Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Liquid Diet Failing - Ideas, Help?

My surgery is Monday Jan 9th and I'm on a liquid diet last week and this. Problem is I haven't lost any weight yet. It's entirely my fault, going through the holidays my "sensible meal" was larger than it should be. It wasnt that I was eating sweets, just to big of portions of what I did eat. So now of course I'm freaked out about not being able to have surgery. Does anyone have any recommendations for the time between now and Monday? The two shakes a day are covered, no brainer, but the sensible meals any ideas? Or should I honestly at this point just switch to 3 shakes a day since there is ZERO time between now and Monday. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Every Dr has their own rules , but I don't see why this would stop you from having the surgery ?

My doctor didn't put me on a pre-op diet.

Before Surgery,I have read so many ppl posting that they had to do a pre-op diet. When I met with my dr before surgery to set up my surgery date. As he was walking out of the room I was a little confused. So I stopped him and asked if I need to do a pre-op diet. I stated that I read so many ppl doing it.

he said the only reason why some dr tell you to go on a liquid diet /low cal before surgery is to help shrink the liver some. He said there's no point because it only shrinks it by mm's .

He was saying "I want my patients well nourished when they come in to have surgery".

So I don't know your Dr's rules , but I cant see him/her sending you home the morning of surgery. lol

Good luck and keep us all posted.

I hope they don't cancel on you.

How far off are you in the required weight loss? If it's 5 pounds or more I would go to 3 Protein Shakes a day. 200 calories each (I made mine fat free milk).

I would do shakes.< /p>

My dr. doesn't do the liquid 2 weeks before. He told me to do 1500 calories, low fat. Well, heck...I've been trying to do that for the last 6 months anyway! In fact, now that I am less than a month away, I have lowered it to 1000-1200. You'd think I'd really be losing, but that's the problem. I don't lose like a normal person. I've only managed to lost 1 pound a month. Dr. said at that rate it would take me 7 years! lol I think my dr. is more concerned about it being low fat anyway. Something about reducing the fat in the liver, I think.

I am dreading the pre-op diet which for me starts Jan. 25th. My doctor requires it to lessen the fatty liver that we obese people can have which makes the surgery more difficult (at least that's what I was told). The Protein Shakes are from the surgeon's office, they have only 122 cals. when made with Water (which is what we have to do pre-op; post -op is with skim milk) x 2, then a small meal of 4 oz. chicken, turkey or fish, and green vegetables- nothing else. Yikes- that will be maybe 600 cals. daily. I'm on 1200 cals daily since Monday and that is going pretty well- I've dropped 3.9 lbs already. Today I brought all my junk food over to my daughter's house- Cookies, candy, graham crackers, brownies, etc. Better to have no temptations. It's the first time I have ever done this.....hope I can stick it out!

I had my surgery on 12/30/11, and also had to do the liquid diet. My doctor's reason for the liquid diet was to shrink the liver. To my surprise I did not find myself hungry on it. I had to drink HMR shakes 4 times a day with a few other items mixed in. I lost 8.5 pounds in the 9 days. Good luck to everyone still waiting for their surgery.