Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else's Dietician Make Them Feel Like Crap?

Went to my dietician appointment today, to get my new meal plan/diet pre-op and post op. I've seen this dietician before and didn't care for her then either,but this time she was unmistakably rude! When I told her I was there because I was having the 'Lap-Band' procedure in February she actually said, "Oh, so how's those candy bars working out for you huh?" I was mortified! And this was only one of many jabs she took at me! Instead of leaving feeling excited/prepared for what's to come, I felt like crap! :(

Can you see someone else?

i would.

There is one other dietician there I was thinking about switching to, but her office is literally right next to this other girls office so it might be kind of awkward. I'm suppose to see this dietician for follow up 6 weeks after surgery so I was thinking it might be too late to switch, since she's the one who gave me my instructions on what to do for surgery..

I would switch, regardless of how close you are to surgery. You deserve to feel supported and encouraged by your entire surgical team. Don't worry about anything being awkward, you are one of many patients in the practice, but they are YOUR only bariatric team.

Just remember, YOU are paying her salary. She is working for you, so you have the right to say,' that's really inappropriate. I am here for advice and support, not for you to be rude to me'. You don't have to be mean when you say it, just matter-of-fact. She has problebly gotten away with this for too, long. I would ask for a different dietician. You can do it!! What's the worst thing that can happen? I would say something to the doctor, too. Again, this is a customer service issue. You are the customer and remember, she works for you. Just think, if it weren't for you, she wouldn't have a job:) Good luck!

You should discuss this with the doctor. Tell the doc about the rude criticism that you've encountered in his/her office. This is uncalled for. Good Luck and much success on your new journey.

I agree with everyone above. If she is like that with you, she probably is with other people too. You are paying her salary and if your physician cares about a quality program, they won't want someone like that in their practice. Its all about customer service today, including in a weight loss surgery program. You deserve so much more. I am a nurse and believe me no good health care practice wants people like that around.

I would not take that kind of crap from her. I would immediately ask to speak with your surgon about the dietition's rude behavior. Like other posters have said your payments/co-pay's help to make her salary, she is working for you and the sme holds true for your surgon.

Talk with your surgon or perhaps the secretary and see if you can't switch, she needs to be reported and repremanded, that is a form of patient misconduct on behaf of the staff member.

Let me guess the dietitian is thin and of normal weight? and perhaps does not know anyone who has struggled with obesity personally. It is alot more then just eating to many candybars.

If you are female have you had a complete hormonal panel done including your AlC level, and your colesterol and trigliserides? Are you of repoductive age? Do you note anything unusual about hair growth/loss? and changes in your skin ? every female should have thier thyroid checked and if that's ok rule out PCOS, many wommen have pcos and don't even know it it is a complex disorder that silently effects many.

I wish you the best of luck and don't put up with this crap.

--icestorm12132008

Wow, How rude! Switch to the other dietician. The surgeon should be made aware of the behavior of his staff in his office. The comments she made were unprofessional and undermining to your future success. I cannot believe that the surgeon would condone this sort of behavior. Dieticians have to deal with individuals with all kinds of food issues, but they should never use embarrassment or humiliation as a tool to get anyone to change their eating habits!

I would never let anyone make me feel like crap especially someone that is supposed to be supportive....and being paid to do it!!! You have to remember that people will be people and how they act is often not a reflection of your behavior, but rather their unhappiness with their lives. Really! So with that note taken if you cannot see someone else remember you are doing this for yourself and only you!!! If you have to see the same person go in there with tons of kindness and just say things like "hmm I guess you're right" Knowing the whole time that they aren't! I work with people who are tenured and how some act they should never have their jobs....but...there is nothing I can do about it because I have no control sooo remember when the dietician is being a jerk I'd feel more sorry for her than anything. She too might need a positive change in her life...she just doesn't know it yet! You are the lucky one, you recognize what you need to do for yourself to be the happiest, it's the dietician who doesn't seem to know how to be professional or how not to project her unhappiness upon others! You are in charge of this situation....not her!!! Take a deep breathe you are in charge of your life!

so this lady knows you like candy bars or something ? I don't get it ...

My dietitian is really nice ...I'm thankful that she is ..listening to some of other peoples stories about theirs, and I'm really sorry you don't have the same experience. However, my dietitian is part of the whole "lap band" team that my surgeon has for the program...is that how yours is too? Because if not, you need to tell your surgeon what happened and have them transfer you to somebody...tell them you need support not criticism. I would not put up with that.

Completely unacceptable! I would consider changing surgeons if this is any indication of their level of support for their lap band patients! You must tell the surgeon and refuse to see her again. You do not deserve to be treated this way by anyone, much less part of the team who is supposed to help you through this journey! I love, love, love to go to my surgeons office EVERYONE is so supportive.....it's unbelieveable!

You deserve the same AND it will only help you to be successful.

My surgeon's nurses actually had told me they don't really care for the dieticians at their office but it was easier for me to go there because they already had my chart and history there. I think I will switch because the more I think about it the more flustered I get! I'm going to let my surgeon know for sure because i absolutely love him and his nurses and I don't want that girl to reflect on them in any way. @ icestorm (sorry I don't know to respond to one person's comments)

I've had my thyroid checked several times and they always tell me it's 'normal' so idk..as far as female problems go, i have plenty of them. I supposedly don't have 'PCOS' but I do keep cysts from the size of golf balls-soft balls on my ovaries and I also do have weird Hair growth (thick white hairs that grow randomly allover my body). When on birth control i stop having periods completely. When off of BC i have periods 2-3 times a month :( Currently I've been on a period since December 16th...my OBGYN can't figure out what to do anymore and pretty much told me he honestly thinks if i would get my weight off things would straighten themselves out.. I have a lot of health issues and pretty much every doctor automatically contributes it to my weight....so we will see soon enough!

I love my nutritionist. I must admit the first time I saw her she kind of made me feel like crap, but only by saying the truth. I think they go with some tough love up front. Heck, one burrito i ate the day before was 800+ calories (and I had two!)! I mean let's face it, we all could use it a little. When I went back and dropped some weight she was completely different. See how she reacts to following her directions. If she's still nasty, bail, but I don't think she will.