Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Else Eat Sugar Free Protein Bars?

Okay, I'm a busy, busy woman. I find making time to eat almost impossible once I get to work. So I've gravitated towards Protein bars. Met-Rx has a high Protein sugar free 320 calorie bar that has 32 grams of protein in it. (And only 2g of sugar) They taste delicious, thus I keep thinking they must be really bad for me. (Like everything else I love.)

Anyone have experience with them? Or do the numbers looks really bad and make you want to run away?

(Banded 11/29/11 - down 20 pounds)

320 calories is a lot for something that isn't "real" food. I would rather eat 320 calories worth of proper, natural food. meat, chicken, nuts, etc. Far more satisfying.

Thanks for the advice Elcee. Unfortunately, I don't even have fifteen minutes to heat something up while working. (I work two full-time jobs.) I am wondering if 320 calories is too much to eat at a sitting. Or do the numbers just look "off".

FYI, my doctor said absolutely NO nuts. (I found this out after I bought a five pound bag of roasted almonds.)

Why no nuts? Theyre a superfood. Personally, id take cold foods like yogurt, nuts, cheese and crackers, a salad Id premaid at home or Soup (in a Thermos so you dont even have to heat it). Protein bars taste like candles to me and whilst i dont think the odd one will hurt, i cant imagine eating fake food like that regularly.

But you didnt ask that, i know, so in answer to your question, no i dont think 320 is too much for a meal - but is the bar a meal? Does it get yoy through? Its way too much for a snack.< /p>

The protien bars are OK, but you have to buy the right ones. costco and Walmart have them that have 110 calories and

10g Protein for $2.00 a box of six. they're as good as the high calorie bars and are actually good for you.

I have that problem on mornings I work. I surgeon suggested Protein Bars. I wouldn't choose a 300 calorie one. I like the pure Protein bars. They are 180-200 cals and 20 protein. Also, followng your surgeons guidlines, do what works for you. If the weight is coming off...keep goin in that direction. If it stalls or goes up, its time to make some adjustments in what your eating and your workouts.

I just use Protein Shots. They are only 2oz and have around 26 grams of Protein in them. I was drinking two shakes a day to get the same amount of protein, and have found the power shots to have less sugar and calories. they taste a little funky, but you get used to it!

May not help you but for Breakfast at work I would have a chobani yoghurt (non fat with fruit) to which I would add the following. The night before I would put these add-ins into a mini baggie half a scoop vanilla whey isolate Protein powder, 1 tsp benefiber non flavored, spendra. In a second baggie 1/4-1/2 high Protein Kashi go Lean. about 250 cal and 25 g protein. If you can't get the time to mix and eat that than there's a problem at your job. You have the right to time to eat. Talk with HR if you have to.

As for nuts my guess is your doctor does'n want someone eating a whole can of honey roasted almonds. Nuts are high in fat and so telling you not to eat them ever is a way to prevent someone gorging on them. I have started to cut back on the amount of Kashi and adding some raw pecans to my yoghurt.

You all have some great info here. Thank you.

To answer the questions, these bars are filling and yes, buy me four to five hours of satisfaction. Definitely NOT a snack.< /p>

As for my work hours, I own the company. There's just SO much to do Mon - Fri that I literally can't get away from my desk. When I get home, I raise rare cats that require a lot of work, hours and attention. I still allot for 60 hours of cardio each afternoon.

The nuts I bought were oven roasted plain almonds. No added salts or sugars or seasonings. Now I'd worry about the fats in them.

I've tried the Protein shots but 1) found they tasted like plastic and 2) they didn't satisfy my appetite. I found that they're great if it's late in the night and I missed dinner.

The Protein bars I chose are Met-RX Protein Plus, loaded with Vitamins and minerals, so I believe they're very good for me. What just scares me is the 320 number. I try not to make any of my three daily meals add up to such a high number. So if I'm eating such a low calorie diet, and working out aggressively, am I throwing myself into starvation mode? I lost 20 pounds in 30 days, but feel I've stalled.

If you are eating the bars as a meal I would'nt worry about the 320 cal. After all that would be only 960 cal per day which I don't think is that high. Esp. If you are working full time and doing cardio. If you decide to have the almonds I would measure them out into 1 oz portions so that you know you are'nt over eating.

What are the fat grams? Most of the bars I love that are low sugar have a lot of fat in them.

Here is the nutritional breakdown on them: (Also, I don't have more than two of these a day. The other times I have lean protein.)

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value** Calories 310 Calories From Fat 80 Total Fat 9g 14 Saturated Fat 7g 35 Cholesterol 5mg 2 Sodium 290mg 12 Total Carbohydrate 32g 11 Dietary Fiber 2g 8 Sugars 2g Sugar Alcohol 27g Protein 32g 36 Potassium 210mg 6

The BEST bars I have come across are Quest Protein bars. You can typically only get them online (they are sold in very few stores) but in my opinion are SO worth the money. Once you find a free shipping code, they balance out to be about $2/bar. They are made of real ingredients. Some bars are made with sucralose (splenda) and there is a new "all natural" line that is made with stevia and erythritol. They are SO SO yummy!!!!

Way too high Sugar alcohol amount is 27 grams ; Carbs 32 grams(full day= less than 68 grams).

You do sound very busy but try to find a better brand. Sorry if this sounds real bossy.

We never read all the ingredients before, we have to now!

How about a hard boiled egg, piece of chicken(3- 4oz.), greek yogurt with fresh fruit.

Think Protein, keep carbs low. Eat complex carbs.

Thanks Ready!

That 27g of sugar alcohols was staring out at me like a red sore! So I've decided I'll do a half of one per day until they're gone. I've gotten so many good suggestions I'll just plan better the night prior.

I appreciate your two cents. NEVER bossy! It's helpful!