Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

6 months ago today I was freaking out as my hubby was driving me to the hospital. Was I doing the right thing? Was I going to regret this? Was I going to WAKE UP from surgery? LOL....I had never been put under so that was a huge concern for me.

Fast forward 6 months and I can honestly say it has been the best decision I have ever made regarding my weight. I have learned sooo much about myself in that short amount of time...not to mention losing plenty of weight in the process. Has it always been easy? Nope, but it sure has been worth it. I am down almost 60 pounds from where I started. Yep, I will take that thanks!

I can't believe how much better I feel. Not just physically but emotionally as well! This is certainly a learning curve but one well worth learning.

Thank you to all the awesome ladies of the January group. Even though I don't always get a chance to respond due to crazy work schedules please know I am reading and going through it right along with all of you. Including the stupid plateau I am on right now! Ugh...but I know it too will pass so I will just keep doing what I am doing. Before surgery a plateau would have been my excuse to give up. Not this time!!

Cheers and continued great health to all of us :)

Wow...posts have really been active this week...I didn't realize how far behind I am. LOL

ValAnn....those things are awesome realizations, aren't they?? :)

JDI...congrats on the better number and good luck at your 6-month check-up. My doc didn't take blood in May so I'm wondering if he will when I go back next month. I'm okay as long as I don't watch them with the needle. LOL.

Meredith...Go for the kickboxing! I've heard several people say that its a great cardio AND toning workout.

Erica and Kymie...congrats on your losses too! That's great news!

Well...I've got to reset my goal on exercise, for sure. After posting my "bandiversary" loss...Its almost like I've "allowed" myself to do whatever. I think I ate just about everything in sight yesterday! Mind you, I didn't overstuff or get stuck. However, I never really felt full all day...so I grazed. For the first time in 6 months, I hit 1500 calories!!! I know...I know...6 months ago, 1500 calories would have been Breakfast and lunch with dinner and Snacks still to go. LOL. However, I didn't really get any extra exercise yesterday, so I didn't even look at the scale this morning. I think I'll just let it take a little vacay for a couple of days. lol.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Hi ladies! I'm happy to report that I have been feeling much better this week. I tried my walking dvd yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. I did three miles before work, and went riding this morning. Very hot and humid. My horses don't love the heat, they feel hot at 60 degrees, so you can only imagine hoe hot they are when its actually hot out. Anyway, I'm not stepping on the scale probably until tomorrow or Sunday, so we will see if my better outlook has helped me drop some poundage...I'm still about 20 lbs to onederland...I really hope the scale starts to move soon!

Val Ann, today is my 6 mth bandiversary too. Congrats to you. It's been a wonderful 6 month ride in so many ways. A neighbor of mine hadn't seen me as she moved away a year ago and has since moved back. She saw me back in the Spring and asked me what I did to lose so much weight. She went through some emotional things and had put on 75lbs and didn't know what to do. When I shared with her what I had done, she researched it and I'm happy to say, she had her lapband surgery today!

I can't wait to see her go through the process of banding and finding her old self again.

Hi chicas!

Meredith, that's cool about your neighbor. There's a woman in church who came up to me yesterday and asked what I was doing to lose weight- DH does not want ANYONE besides my family to know I had the surgery, so I just gave her the "eating right and exercising and myfitnesspal" speech- but I felt bad because she could really potentially benefit.... So what about that kickboxing class??? LOL

Hey horsegirl, that is cool about that walking dvd, good for you! How was WID?

Chrissy- I was a total grazer yesterday!! Couldn't feel full....I get a fill tomorrow, hopefully that will help.

ValAnn- good to see you! I loved your "testimonial"- I feel the same way. So so glad I did this for myself. Now I know I"ll be successful, even with glitches on the journey...

As for me- some major stuck on a hamburger on Friday night- totally threw up, first time, it was horrible. That's the second time well-cooked hamburger did that to me, so guess what I'm not eating anymore, LOL. I do believe I'll be down a couple lbs on Wednesday, which is my wid, so plateau is over- it probably wasn't even a plateau, just a lot of Water retention due to the really salty calamari I cooked last week. No matter why, it's nice to see the scale go down... Got up this morning and did a 50 minute Firm video from Netflix- just cardio and weights, no fanny lifter- but a sweaty workout, for sure! Going through some really major stress, and I'm feeling tight, but still want that fill tomorrow- I really feel like I'm not quite in the green zone- I don't want to be too tight, for sure but I do want to be tight enough :).

Nicki

I drove to Michigan and back this weekend. That's a 12 plus hour trip each way. A lot lot lot of sitting and eating crap food and not drinking enough Water (that would mean more rest area stops). Plus eating not the best options with a "vacation mentality" and being at moms house eating what's offered. Needless to say I still lost 2 pounds this weekend!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

JDI....I'm being nosy (LOL)....why does DH not want anyone to know about surgery, if you're okay with telling people? Oh...and I was a total grazer yesterday too! I must get rid of the popcorn in the house...I ate a whole bag of microwave popcorn (minus the two small handfuls my son grabbed). How in the world is popcorn a slider food? ?? I don't get it. oh well. I logged it in MFP and I'm hoping it will act as Fiber. LOL.

Meredith...I want to know about the kickboxing class too! :)

I had a stuck episode this morning on tuna salad. ( i know...tuna salad for breakfast??? I'm out of Protein shakes/powder and that was the only readily-available protein). It was WAY too early to try solid food. I didn't think I was stuck because I stopped eating as soon as I felt that old familiar pressure. about 5 minutes later though, I got that feeling that said to me "oh this crap is coming up". Total regurgitation. I've only had that happen once or twice before.

Kymie...it sounds like you made pretty good choices over the weekend! Good for you!

I'm trying to do better today...I didn't bring enough food to work with me in order to graze. lol. I hope everyone has a great day!

WHOO HOO!! YOU GO, KYMIE!! Congratulations, that's how we January Bansters do it!!!!

Chrissy- that's just how DH sees things, and I'm respecting his wishes- not really sure why, though he's explained, LOL.

Edited by JustDoIt130

OK girls, quick question- should we start a new topic maybe in the general area to do our monthly goals? Or just keep it here and check in? I'm good either way, but I really think we should keep setting goals....so let's figure out where we want to do it and then set some goals for August. I need some things to shoot for- a food goal, a behavior goal, and exercise goal, maybe a personal goal....what do all y'all think???

Nicki

Just popping in from CA! So far so good with the stress level. I have not worked out but we are walking a lot and not eating much. I will weigh myself when I get back Thursday.

I kind of think we should start a new thread, but I don't want to loose anyone or gain any weirdos. Sorry I am protective of our group.

I want to start with a behavior goal of 5 out of 7 days of exercise even if it is just 20 minutes of sit ups.

Tryl

Hi Nicole, glad things are going well! All that walking counts as exercise, for sure. I worry about starting a new thread too, don't want to lose people!!!

I had a fill today- remember I said that the doc didn't tell me- wouldn't tell me- how much he was filling? Well the time before last he didn't write it down even! So I saw the PA today, who went over it all with me, LOL. She's the one who saw he hadn't written it down. So she guesstimated that I had about 10 cc's in my 14 cc band, and she gave me a .5 cc fill. So hopefully that puts me solidly in the green. liquids today, mushies tomorrow! Tomorrow is WID, and I think I'll see a good drop. According to the doc I've lost 68 lbs so far, but MY scale says about 71 lbs.

My next post is going to be my goals for August....let's all post them!!

Nicki

Okay January Bandsters, we've all had our 6 month bandiversary (if you haven't then you're a February or later bandster, but still welcome, LOL). So let's take a moment to reflect on this journey so far, and consider what goals we have. No matter the number of pounds we've lost, we're all sticking to it, we're all making progress and making necessary changes. We are doing FABULOUS!!!! So let's make monthly goals- and keep each other accountable! Join in on any or all of the goals below!!!

My goals:

Food- Continue logging- stay under 1300 every day (except Sunday)

Fitness- Exercise 5 days a week at least 45 minutes (up from 30 minutes)

Water- Log this! I know I'm usually getting enough, but need to keep track because sometimes I'm not!!

Behavioral/Personal- to speak more kind words and not just be flippant or sarcastic. Really need to work on this, need it in the forefront of my mind.

Nicki

Happy Anniversary! (Mine was the 18th) We are all doing SO GREAT! I mean everyone is still checking in and we're all progressing ... I think it's the greatest thing ever on my journey to see all of your check-ins and news! I've been losing again too, yay, but I don't think it's so much from my fills as it is from me just really, really watching my calories the past few weeks. I am drinking tons of Water also (my skin actually looks better because of it) and really stepped up on my walking.

I'm still in 14-16 pants, but yesterday I saw my collar-bones! I haven't seen them in 20 years and that is a big, big whoo-hoo from me!! My goal this month is to concentrate on some sit-ups or some type of waist exercise because that is my slowest area to lose... Waist and stomach.

I do have a question for those of you who have more fill in your band than me, which I guess is about all of you... I still have (rare) occasions when things get stuck or are very slow going down, but I can still eat a substantial amount of food in one sitting. I would like to be full on less, but I'm afraid if the band were tighter, I would really be stuck. For those of you who are at the "sweet spot," and get full on say 1/4 cup of food, are you still eating solids OK, and how did you know to keep going tighter?

I can still eat Pasta and bread (I restrict myself) and really quite a lot in quantity of softer foods. I think I'm just over 3 cc's in a 10 cc band, but as long as I'm losing something and having morning restriction (which I do) the doc thinks that's enough.

I am so proud of all of you ... We should add up all of our pounds lost ... It's amazing! I'm now at 40 pounds down since operation day. Luvin' it.

Keep up the good work all!

My main goal this month is structured exercise at least 3x per week.

LadyB

LadyB, I know exactly what you mean by not know if the green zone is really the green zone...there are some times when I eat where I think, ok if my band was any tighter, I wouldn't be able to eat anything! And I do get semi stuck, which would be pretty much daily if I don't pay attention to chewing really well. But I can sit down and eat pretty much any amount of salad, or something pretty soft. I really like the lean cuisines, bc once it is gone .i am full, but if there was still food in front of me I know I would keep going. I am however, more satisfied from those tiny meals than I ever way before....they were an appetizers before!!! I will check back in within the next few days once I weigh in...I can tell you ladies that I am back on the downwards trend, and have been more active. I bought a few new pairs of neon sneakers and some workout tank, sometimes that's all I need to motivate myself to get out and go for a walk or run. I lovvvve to shop, and finding more and more to have to step back and pick a SMALLER size instead of my larger ones....wow. what a feeling.

Sorry for all the typos, I am coming to you from my phone at 2am with a migraine!!!