Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got my lapband yesterday! I am really happy and excited to start my new life :)

My incisions have not been giving me much trouble but the chest & arm pain caused from the gas they use is hurting pretty bad.

Last night I slept sitting up on my couch because It hurt so bad to lay down and felt like I couldn't breath.

Has anyone else experienced sleeping problems? How long did it last?

Thanks everyone!

Ahhhh yes the dreaded gas....you might have this for a few weeks, it is the worst part of this journey...My suggestion is to walk walk walk and walk more..You will get through it as we all did..Good Luck to you :)

I got my lapband yesterday as well. I'm still in the hospital and the gas has been bothering me too. Mostly in my chest tho, not yet in my arms or shoulders although i've read that is bound to happen. I would recommend just walking in your room or down the hallway as well.

Congrats and yes drink Water and walk. I walked around in circles in a deck at my daughters house every time I'd go pee, it helped, but I m sure some neighbors wondered who the crazy lady was outside at 3 am walking in circles mumbling and burping. Its the best medicine.

Hi!

I was banded on 12/5 and found I needed to sleep in recliner for first 3 nights due to the gas pain. Once the gas pains passed I was able to sleep in bed but them had another 3-4 days where I would get intermittent incision pain during the night when I rolled over on my side. That too went away and no other pain or discomfort at all.

Good luck!

Walking is the best. I got my band on 12/22 and I had ALOT of gas pain. I put a heating pad on my shoulder that hurt the worst and that seemed to help too. Just remember, for every 10 mins you sit, walk for at least 3-5 mins. It gets the gas moving and coming out.

Mylanta gas chewables, heating pad on the shoulder, lots of walking around and do not drink from a straw, makes it worse. the gas sucks so bad! but it will go away!

I had my lap band put in exactly a week ago and my shoulders stopped hurting just two days ago. It felt like knives were piercing into them. My doctor gave me some pain meds to help. When I went to my follow up yesterday he told me besides the gas it could also be caused by the lap band rubbing against my diaphragm... He said at worst it shouldn't last for more than a month on and off.

I put either ice or heating pack to help ease the pain, this also helped me sleep at night.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I've been walking around a lot today and bought a heating pad which helps so much with the shoulder pain!! Just have to take everything a day at a time :)