Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Falling Out After Lap Band Surgery

So I noticed back in nov that my hair started falling out. I immediatly started Biotin and

It improved. A couple of weeks ago it started

again. Its bad. Globs of it just fall out. My DH says it looks thinner. It's disgusting. The other day i was in a meeting and someone noticed hair all over the place. I have never stopped the Biotin. I take my multivit, Calcium, Iron and biotin.

I understand that the main cause is Protein. However i eat a lot of protein--between 60-80 g per day. I have lost 53 pounds. I lost a lot of hair when i was pregnant so i dont know if im just weird or what.

Also, something else i noticed is that when i go from a sitting to standing position too quickly i get dizzy--like a head rush. I used to

Occasionally get these preband but these past 2 mos it happens all the time. Sometimes i have to stop walking and wait bc i am afraid i will fall. Kinda weird that this happened around the same time the hair started falling out. I will discuss with my dr in 2 wks but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

J

Banded 9/22

Sweetie, you might want to call you doctor to give them a heads up...and not wait 2 weeks. This might be the indication of something serious...a phone call won't hurt and it might even make you feel better.

Hope it gets better soon!

You aren't alone! The same things are happening to me. I've had the dizziness pre-band, but the hair falling out is embarrassing!! I've found that if I've been sitting for a long time I have to stand up very slowly or I get a terrible head rush and headache. One day a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was going to pass out. It scared me (and my co-workers). My doctor says it's caused by standing too quickly and the blood is rushing to my feet. Not much can be done to change it. I've had scans and everything is ok in my brain, so I just deal with it. I hope it's nothing serious with you. Let me know if your dr gives you any ideas on how to stop the Hair loss. 001_huh.gif

My nutritionist recommended that, in addition to the Biotin, I add zinc to help with the Hair loss. Specifically, 15 mg of Zinc to be taken with the biotin. I haven't started it yet, so I can't say if it helped or not.

I am having the same issues and its nice to know i am not alone in this situation. Hope u are ok :)

My hair is thin to begin with. A friend recommended Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner. I started using it right before the surgery. My hair so far seems to be getting thicker. The only issue, it is expensive. I also quit putting my hair in ponytails and I wash it less often.

I lost a lot of hair for about 6 months, it has seemed to stop (for the most part) now.

I too am having the issue with the Hair loss. Thankfully it was very thick to begin with, so it doesnt look bad YET, but I am worried that if it continues to fall out it will start looking thin. I am taking Biotin too but so far have not seen any improvement. I keep hoping that it will stop. Please let me know what your doc recommends. Also how many grams of biotin are you taking. I noticed at GNC they had everything from 600 mg to 5000 mg. I just got the 600 mg but am thinking I should have gotten the stronger dosage.

I take 1000mcg of Biotin plus my multivit has 150 mcg of

Biotin in it.

This is one of my biggest fears! I didnt expect to hear about is so much with Lap Bad.

My hair is OK, but the other is your blood pressure dropping when you stand up. I do it from time to time. Also, if I stand for prolonged periods my pressure will suddenly drop and I'll gray out, most likely would pass out if I don't sit down. I get all sweaty and white.

My PCP says he sees it in his weight loss patients (not just WLS patients) often. It seems something goes haywire in our bodies and the signals to maintain blood pressure get crossed up and it goes down when it should go up.

Ah the joys!

mzz

I dont really think it is the band surgery. It is the weight loss in general. I say this because before I was banded a couple of years ago I lost weight on my own and was losing pretty rapidly and the same thing happened.

If you are on BP meds and have lost a significant amount of weight, you may not need some of your meds any longer. This happened with my husband and he was able to quit one of his BP meds and his fast acting insulin.

My hair started falling out in September, maybe October. I was banded on July 1st. It seems to be slowing down now but my surgeon assures me that I won't go bald and it will stop when I maintain my weight for a while.I've been taking 5000mgs of Biotin since May. I've lost almost 90lbs and I agree, it has more to do with the weight loss than the surgery. My friend has the lapband and it was just her 1 year bandaversary. She lost 120lbs and was loosing hair too. Now that she has been maintaining her weight her hair has come back in.......and she never went bald, LOL!! We always say it's a small price to pay!laugh.png

My hair didn't fall out, it just didn't grow at all. Before I was banded in April 2011, I cut my hair off like Sinead O'Connor (think that's her name). It stayed like that until September, then suddenly it started to grow. It is still short, but I was able to get my hair braided this month. I just hopes it continues to grow.