Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Imaginary Lap Band :-)

Hey, y'all -

I was wondering if anyone has done what I'm about to do to myself this weekend. LOL.

We all talk so much about what an adjustment this process is, from the pre-op diets to the post-op diets...we all have a hard time adjusting in one aspect or another. So I plan to go shopping for Protein powder and Meal Replacement shakes this weekend, but I'm not going to stop there. I am thinking of giving myself (pause for dramatic effect...dun dun DUN!!!!)...imaginary lap band surgery.

I plan to start the pre-op diet on Saturday, then move to the post-op diets at the appropriate times. I have not been scheduled for surgery yet...that won't happen until February. But I want to take this baby out for a test drive and see what happens. I think it'll help alleviate some of the apprehension for me if I go through it knowing I have the "safety net" of being able to eat actual food if I really need to.

Has anyone else tried this or am I the only one who's certifiable around here? :-)

I didn't go to that extreme, but I did alter my diet about a week or so before I had to start the pre-op diet just for a "test drive". I actually think its a very good idea and a great way to show yourself what your life will be like without the actual band - if you find you cannot do it then its better to find that out BEFORE having the surgery! I think everyone should do what you're doing - I'm sure you will do a fabulous job and see how great this will be for you. Keep us posted and Good luck!

PS - I bet you can lose a lot of weight before your February surgery by following the diet NOW! Good for you!

You, my friend, are a genius

that's a great idea. I think I might just do the same thing.

i didnt do the imaginary lap band , but i did start doing the shakes before i was supposed to so i could get an idea of what i liked and kind of whean myself off food. you'll be able to lose weight doing the pre-op diet early :) Good luck!

Thanks for your support, guys...keep the info coming! I love hearing about what everyone does/did before surgery.

I am actually so excited about this that I am going to start tomorrow. The hell with waiting for Saturday. LOL.

This should be interesting...

Actually, I thought if I had some self control, I could consider following the lap band diet and amounts without actually having the surgery. But who am I kidding I HAVE NO SELF CONTROL! A test run, now that I may be able to handle!

I think it is a terrific idea. It will also give you a chance to wean off the bad things like sugar and soda. Let us know how we can help you. And good luck on your "surgery" tomorrow.

I admire your decision to start tomorrow and not wait until Saturday, as you said. That shows that you're determined to make it work and you're excited about the opportunities. I think the key to making this work now is to drink, drink, drink. If you fill up on Water it'll help alleviate any hunger feelings. I'm excited for you! (now go get a glass of water!)

Definitely try multiple different shakes to find out which one you like. I see to many people on here who did not try the shakes before hand and then saying they are getting nauseous from them.

I think you have a good idea, it will give you a head start on the weight loss too!

In all honesty, there is no way I could have done the post-op diet before having the lapband. If I'd eaten so little (and most of it liquid) beforehand, I would have been WAY too hungry. As it was, my 1-week pre-op diet was horrible - I couldn't sleep, I was in pain, hunger cramps, feeling starving hungry, had a headache for nearly the whole week, and I was grumpy and miserable! The only thing that kept me on track was knowing that I only had to do it for one week before the surgery!!!

Good luck with your experiment! At the very least, if you throw out all unhealthy foods and stick to simple basics like plain meats, salads, vegetables, etc, and maybe go a Protein shake for Breakfast or something, it'll certainly get you on track for February! :)

That's a really great idea...

I've been working on a few little things (I have 3 more months to go before surgery), so far I've given up carbonated drinks. I had no trouble at all with that. I do not even miss them. I'm trying to work on taking small bites and chewing thoroughly before swallowing, but I tend to forget what I'm trying to do and end up wolfing it down like usual. I'm going to practice not drinking while eating, that's my next step.

It would be very hard to do it exactly the way you would if you had the band. After you get banded you will be amazed on the tiny amount of food you can survive on. I reached my sweet spot very early in the process, so hunger has not been a problem. When you don't have the band and restriction, hunger will get to you.

That being said ......... I do like your thinking .....

There are a few things I started before I was banded that helped me quite a bit. I started taking very teeny tiny bites of food no matter what I was eating. I made sure every bite was well chewed. I didn't chew things to a liquid state or chew so much I got grossed out (and still don't even with a pretty tight band). I just made sure every tiny bite was well chewed before it went down the hatch. I watched how other people eat. I am amazed at the large bites and lack of chewing! I ordered sample packs of Protein drinks. I started sipping instead of gulping ..... just some lap-band basics. The not drinking while eating is a good one too.

It would be very hard to do it exactly the way you would if you had the band. After you get banded you will be amazed on the tiny amount of food you can survive on.

Yeah, I realize that...but the first part is just the pre-op diet, which I will be on sans restriction. I wanted to see what that would be like as well, since I'll end up having to do it if I definitely decide on surgery after my insurance waiting period is over.

Boy, did I learn a lesson, you guys!!! I take my hat off to those of you who've had your surgery and had to go through the pre-op 7 day liquid diet. The first several hours were sheer misery for me.

The experiment ended up having a profound effect on me that I could never have predicted. I wrote about it on my blog, which you can find here: http://hotmessprincess.com/2011/12/imaginary-lap-band-day-1-is-done/

I continue to weigh my options on both sides of the fence...and I'm so grateful to have these forums and all of you to answer questions/offer advice.

So, you have already chosen a lapband doc and know he requires a liquid pre-op diet? I will never understand why some docs put their patients through that. I, along with many other bandsters, did Atkins for 2 weeks as a pre-op diet. It works very well to shrink the liver and is a much more pleasant way to do it.

Yes, I sure have...I went ahead and got the ball rolling because I have a 6 month waiting period before I can have surgery. I was very impressed with this surgeon and the other patients I've spoken with who've used him all think he's wonderful as well.

I don't have a problem with a week long liquid diet. Since I have to make significant changes anyway in order to be successful, a week isn't going to kill me. This is a lesson I needed to learn and I'm super grateful for it. :-)