Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel Like Such A Lap Band Failure!

I too have had the same exact thing happen...these past 2 holidays were awful to me...I ate so much stuffing/corn/mac and cheese with butter all over it I was ready to burst and wanted more and more later that day but luckily I didn't take any leftovers home and didn't have it. I gained as well...3 or 4 pounds I think and I'm disgusted with myself. I am so angry with myself and feel terrible about it. I also didn't excercise those nights because I didn't have the time. So the past 3 nights I did 2-3 miles everyday and pushed myself as hard as I could...lost 2 pounds already! You just gotta get back into it and keep going!!!!!!!

I am going through the very same thing. I lost 102 lbs (yeah me) but I didn't have a 15 lb gain, I had a 33 lb gain. I had 2 miscarriages this year and blame that for the gain but i can't continue to use that as an excuse I too think I'm tight enough but already mentioned to the nurse today that I need a fill. The doctor is aware of my gain and I managed to get 10 off but just put it back on over the holidays. I realized while reading this thread that I can't wait to get it off before going back. My doctor deals with this all the time and the reason I chose to get the band was for this very reason. It's adjustable and allows for us humans to make "u-turns" on our journey. We're all in this together. (I'm going to email the office now to make my fill appointment). Let's just do it. Remember why we opted for the surgery in the first place. Let's protect out investment.

Yes! Go back and get the band adjusted. You will be so glad you did.

I'm sure the miscarriages would have made many of us pack on a few pounds. I'm sorry this happened to you. These are very tough situations to deal with and I'm sure you will have more tough things happen in your life. I feel for you.

The good thing now is that your mindset is back on the weightloss journey. Go get the fill and let the band help you, Let it do it's job. It almost seems like self punishment if we try to take off the weight the hard way before going back in to see the doc for a fill.

my doctor says it happens when you have had the band a long time. You need to take out the Fluid and wait about a month then start your fills over again. I hope you can get back on track!!

I cannot for the life of me imagine what your doc is thinking! If you are eating around the band (sliders) emptying and refilling the band will have no effect at all! Seriously, how could it?

I've been banded for 14 months and yes I've lost...102 lbs to be exact but the band hasn't made my appetite go away and I've certainly felt hungry. Its not designed to take that away, its to teach you HOW to eat and what to eat. I don't know of anyone who has the band who's not at some point during the day starving. I know of no one who's appetite has disappeared just because they got the band.

I've been banded for 14 months and yes I've lost...102 lbs to be exact but the band hasn't made my appetite go away and I've certainly felt hungry. Its not designed to take that away, its to teach you HOW to eat and what to eat. I don't know of anyone who has the band who's not at some point during the day starving. I know of no one who's appetite has disappeared just because they got the band.

I am one of those people. The band has taken it away for me. I'm not starving at all. Maybe you have not found your sweet spot or something.

After seeing some of the post I decided to try the start all over again method. I have been on liquids the past 2 days. The first day was hard but I have a pretty good day today. I have noticed I got a burst of energy today which has boosted my confidence. I have done lots more around the house. I guess getting the sugar out of my system has helped. I am not a coffee drinker but did purchase a coffee pot and have liked it so far. I am praying this will jump starte me. I kind of had a light bulb moment when one of you posted that the band doesnt stop hunger. I think that is correct. I think we have to be in control of that. I do wish I could get better at distinguishing between head hunger and being full! I have the illusion that I have to feel bloated to be full. Thanks for all your help going to try to start mushies tomorrow. Hope this do over was what I needed. You folks are great!

I seldom get hungry anymore. I sometimes hear my tummy growling and realise I haven't eaten for a while but I just don't often get hungry. I don't know if it's the band or over the last 3 and a half years I just learnt to do with a lot less food but hunger is not something you necessarily have to live with all your life.

Don't wait to lose the 15kgs to go see your dr. Not having your band properly filled is one of the reasons you're gaining, so correct it. Now. the sooner you get to good restriction, the sooner the band will help you get your weight loss going. That's what it is there for.

The fills are what makes the band work. Support, exercise, good aftercare from your dr does too. Make the choice to have the band work for you.

I think this thread might be the motivation I need to stay focused. You are all a great group of people. Thank you for the great replies. I would like to get myself more involved in this site to keep myself motivated. Any suggestions of places you visit the most on here?

Thanks for all the advice. I havent had a fill in a while. Now that I have gained 15 pounds I am ashamed to go the dr right now. I want to lose this first. I am confused I think about the hunger part and the "full" part. Im not recognizing the fullness. I have to work on this. I have cleaned all the christmas left overs out of my fridge and I am trying to get back on the wagon.

If you don't get full any differently than you did before the band then there will be nothing new to "recognize". Remember, some ppl NEVER get restriction. In that case it's just like losing weight BEFORE you got the band.

But why would you be ashamed to go to the Dr.? They see Lap-Banders that regain all the time. Believe me, you are NOT the first!

Wow! Thank you everyone who shared on this topic! I got banded December 14th and my first fill is January 11. My doctor didn't leave my band "empty" and I cannot eat the same amount of food that use to. Thank God! I can tell already that I am an emotional eater. Not news to me believe me! But I can see I need to really focus on behaving for this to work. It has to work because I have tried everything else and more. I do work out. This week was my first week back to the gym since being banded. I am walking. I realized this week I have to replace my time and energy that was devoted to overeating to something else. When watching TV I miss the food! When in my car when working I see all my favorite places to stop and have lunch but no more! So there are a lot of changes that are going on for me right. now. It is all good. I am a nurse and I believe strongly as long as there is still life there is hope. No one here has failed! It is all life's lessons and we have this tool and just as someone stated just get back on the "Band Wagon". BTW it is a Fabulous book!

I am one of those people. The band has taken it away for me. I'm not starving at all. Maybe you have not found your sweet spot or something.

Throw my vote in also! The band HAS taken that away from me! I also am not starving, nor do I need "hard Work" or "Will Power" to make this thing work.

All I have to do is listen to it!

Majority of us falls of the track for whatever reason. Just pick yourself up and think about what you were doing to lose weight. Lapband is only a tool and you have to let the tool work for you. This is not easy and it's definitely not a magic band. Keep your head up, don't be discouraged, and have faith in yourself that you can do it. Please don't harp on the weight gain, it sets you up for a downward spiral.

I am so thankful for all the advice I have gotten here. I made it back to the doctor yesterday and I was shocked to realize I had not had a fill in almost a year! That is what I get for hiding in shame! Wel I decided to go face the music. I was up 8 pounds. My doctor gave me 1 cc. I was on liquids last night and have been on mushies today. I can really tell a difference. I have really felt full today only eating a small amount. I have missed this feeling. I would recommend for anyone putting off the dreaded trip back to the doctor....GO! This was just what I needed. I am also seeing the psychologist on Thursday. I want to make sure my head is on straight. I am the only one that can make this work. Thanks for all the support. You guys are great. Keep your fingers crossed. One thing I have realized is teh lap band is a learning process. You cant figure out all this stuff over night. It takes time.

I had the LBT done in August 2010. I also had to have hyenial hernia repair at the same time. I feel lilke everything gets stuck. I have had the esophagus checked to make sure nothing is obstructing the flow, and it was normal. I am eating less, but I am eating the wrong things. I have never been a healthy eater. I lost 35 lbs but have gained back 10 over. So progress for over a year has been VERY slow. I am starting to wonder if I should have had the by-pass surgery instead. I will admit the reason I didn't is becuase I like my sweets. Any support and mentoring would be greatly appreciated.

I had my band Oct 28, 2010 - i have gained 8 pounds since then - several fills and i think i am at 6cc's...I told a friend today I am such a failure again at weightloss, i just don't know what to do. I have read the earlier posts on this topic - alot of very uplifting and motivational people. I knew this process would be slow...but not this slow. Maybe this surgery wasn't for me.