Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real Newbie (lap Banded 12/20) Complications And Scared

Merry Christmas to you all! My name is Jana and I am brand new here. I had my lap band done on 12/20/11 by a reputable surgeon, outpatient. I was a bit of a 'lightweight' for banding (starting at 5'2 and 196) but my co-morbidities were significant (high BP, cholesterol). I have had weight issues all my life. My highest weight was 225 and lowest 135 (for like, a day). I have been on as many diets as there are types of food, like all of you, have lost weight then regained plus more.

My late Mom had the same issues as I did when she was my age and going thru menopause (high pressure, cholesterol) and couldn't get her weight under control. She subsequently required a triple bypass surgery and 2 years later a femoral bypass. The doctors think the all could have been averted if she had maintained a healthy body weight. So I decided after much thought that I would nip this in the bud and address it before it addressed me.

I came through surgery wonderfully. No anesthesia complications. No nausea. Got home and rested (I have a 9 y/o girl, a 25 y/o stepson and a husband who are all very supportive) and I rested. Sore and gassy in my shoulders but nothing a half of Vicodin couldn't handle.

2nd day post op my belly started to swell and I noticed some bruising around the port site. By the evening it was significantly swollen like I was pregnant and the bruising was rampant, black all the way down to my waist on the right side. I was petrified and immediately returned to the surgeon who told me I had an abdominal "hematoma". I had a low grade temp and was put on antibiotics. I was told that this is an 'occassional' complication of any laproscopic proceedure and would re-absorb in a week or two and if not, I would have to be re-opened (!!!!) to have the blood drained.

It is Christmas Day and I am feeling weak. I am able to sip fluids and am trying my best to take in my Protein shakes. My stomach feels like a ball, constant feeling of bubbling and pressure (is this normal?). I have lost 10 lbs. No bowel movement yet but didn't expect one.

I was on another web site and the commentary about the lap bands was SO negative I actually started to cry. All these people talking about revisions to sleeve and the horrors of complications (eating thru the band, complications, etc.)

Today I feel frightened and unsure that what I am feeling is normal (with the bubbly stomach that feels constant pressure) and the weakness.

I am looking for anyone that can help me, encourage me and perhaps help me feel that I did not do something horrid that after so much thought and planning, I am going to regret anyway. I wasn't supposed to be this way. :-(

Merry Christmas Jana. I'm Sorry you ran into all that negitivity. It's a

little like my team is better than your team. The band is the safest

WLS you could have and there are many reputable statistics to back

that up. Read the section of this forum entitled "Lap band Success

Stories", it'll cheer you up a bit, and think of the thousands of people

who have successful band surgery every year.

Hi Jana. I'm sorry that you're feeling so blue on this Christmas morning. Rest assured, when you look back on this next year you'll feel so much better about your decision to get banded. You'll have lost a significant amount of weight and you'll look and feel terrific! And the Christmas outfit you'll be wearing will be so HOT!

I too had a hematoma after my surgery. It was at the port site and I made several trips to the doctor's so that he could clean it out and check on it. Finally, three weeks later he did the surgery to drain the hematoma. What a relief! If your doctor is willing to take care of it in a week, do it! I had so much bleeding that I had to have my belly bandaged at all times and the tape caused horrible skin irritation. I remember the last straw was waking up in a pool of blood; that freaked me out!

Just know that you're not alone. Things like this happen, but once you get through it you'll be so happy that you're on the right track for a healthy, fit, and energetic life! Good luck!

Merry Christmas Jana,

I cannot comment about the hematoma because I didn't these issues. I do want to say that sometimes we need to just gleen info from people and leave behind there negativity. I have had the lap band 22 mo and recently had a problem of being too tight. I a m dealing with that. The reason I am bringing it up is to let you know I have gone 22 mo with out any issues. Of course there will be horror stories but the rest of us are doing pretty well. My suggestion too you Is to follow directions about this issue and drink fluids as much as possible and walk as much as possible.

Good luck Happy holidays and I hope the New Year brings you all you deserve and wish for.

Wendy

think how wonderful you will feel next Christmas. sound like things are going pretty much as they did for me, after the op.

Thank you all for the support. I look forward to getting to know many of you over the coming months. This is the beginning of an incredible journey for me. I know I have many things to learn.

Hello Jana

I was banded 12/19/11 and where I had no complications Iam worried for you if your not feeling better or seeing any improvement tomorrow I think you should call your Dr never wait on anything that worries you and always be proactive when it comes to your health. I hope to hear that things are getting better for you very soon.

I was also banded on 12/20. I hate that you are having problems! Like you, I also researched it alot and I was a light weight. My weight at surgery was 201 with 224 my highest. I was very very weak for the first few days and it was because I did not have any carbs in my diet. I know it was against the rules but I had two small teaspoons of potato Soup and I have felt great since then! Get gas x strips for the sounds coming from your tummy and keep taking it whether you think you need it or not.. I hope that they can fiix your hematoma issues. Today I ws able to eat a few bites of some Christmas dinner and it made me very happy but I know that I was being bad. Keep in touch.. we are going to get through all this together.

I was banded on the 22nd of December. I can tell you that I am STILL having alot of the gas issues. Every time I eat, I get gas. Don't let that scare you. I know the hematoma is a scary complication, but it is relatively easy to fix. Keep in contact with your surgeon and if you have a coordinator that you have been working with, let them know as well. This is only a minor hiccup in a lifelong success. Next year at this time you will look and feel amazing!

I told my kids last night, that next Christmas, I'm going to put on my jammies from this year so we can all see the incredible difference a year makes.