Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Got Banded On Tuesday But.....

Hi everyone! I got banded on Dec 20. It was terrible but I know I will feel better about it once the weight comes off. Boy did I have an experience. On byway to the hospital I got a call from my doctors office stating that the director of HR at my job called asking inappropriate questions. I chose not to disclose of my surgery, my doctors office only stated I was having abdominal surgery for reflux. Well the HR director wanted more information on the procedure and why was I having it? The nurse at my doctors office refused to answer her question and informed her she was in violation of HIPAA. I will be handling that after I recover.

The surgery

This is my experience and my experience only please do not take my experience as what happens all the time. After the surgery was complete and I was in recovery I felt light headed and dizzy. My blood pressure dropped unsafely low. After several attempts to get my BP back to normal range it was discovered thru blood work that I had internal bleeding which meant I had to go back into surgery to check for the blood loss, fix it and give me a blood transfusion. My doctor discovered one of the instruments had torn some muscle and caused bleeding. The muscle was repaired and the bleeding was stopped. I am a thousand times more sore than I was when I initially came out of surgery. I had to spend the night in the hospital, I came home this evening. Right now I'm in a reclining chair that is comfortable. I wouldn't dare try to sleep in the bed. The gas is painful along with the painful incisions. The mess are kicking in now some I'm going to get some sleep.

Sorry to hear about your complications......but it is surgery and stuff happens. At least that is behind you.

I find it strange HR would be calling also, and yes, it is against federal law for the Dr.s office, or anyone for that matter disclosing information.

When I had my surgery, I took a week off on vacation time. For all anyone knew I was in Disney World.

I have never, other than the closest of family, told anyone about my surgery, for many reasons.

So sorry you had complications - thank goodness you showed symptoms in the hospital and this didn't happen after you were home!

I have only told two members of my family, a few friends, and of course my husband. My brother is against it and is fond of telling me why...so after telling him the topic was off limits, I've decided to keep it quiet.

The main reason for this is not because I'm ashamed of anything, but more because I don't want this to become who I am. I don't want everyone to always be asking "How is the lap band going?" I want to experience this for me...and go through it as I should without having to deal with constant questions & input from others.

Hope your recovery is going well!