Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Told A Big Old Lie

Okay ive always been rather honest,but I told my boss a lie today and now im feeling bad!!!I got my surgery date yesterday and I dont want anyone here at work to know but I told her I was having stomach problems and they are going to have to repair an usler(sp)so I could get the time off from work needed to have this surgery done!!!!Please make me feel better about this big fat lie I told!!!!!!!!:omg:

Your health issues are personal and you have every right to hide the details. If you'd have said "its personal" it might have prompted more questions, or even worse.. speculations.

I see no problem with giving a reasonable, yet untrue, explanation. It's not any of their business.

My doctor repaired a hernia at the same time as the banding so it's an easy story to go with.

I know that bosses aren't supposed to ask but when you are close to someone like your boss it's hard to lie... it is for me anyway. It's even harder to say "It's personal"

Lie like a dog and don't look back.

On the other hand, if you ever DO come out of the "band closet", be ready to apologize for fibbing, beg understanding from your boss, that it's hard enough to make this type of personal decision, and leave it at that.

If I had the disposition, I wouldn't tell a soul. I know myself better, though, and knew I'd spill the Beans anyway, so I just came on out with it. But I didn't have to tell an employer...whole 'nuther scenario...

take a big breath and know your story if you are going to stick to it. Otherwise, confess now and be done with it.

Did I give you ANY advice in all that? See...I go on and on and on...sigh

LMBO :rofl:someone else I know said the same thing. the thing is that once you start losing weight everyone is going to assume you had GBS anyhow. LOL

I started off with it's personal, then when I got back I was so excited, I told whoever.

I had a boss that got nosey when I had to go in for a breast reduction. I asked for the time off, which wasn't a problem, but he was pushy to find out why I had to have surgery. I told him it was a personal matter, and the jokes started. When I came back it was fairly evident what I had done... (went from a EEE to a DD LOL) I had the surgery for medical reasons because of my back, but he actually tried to deny my time off after the fact because he saw it as "Plastic Surgery"

Stick with your fib. It is none of your boss's business, and lord only knows what their response would be to something like this. When you come back, let him know everything went well, and never mention it again. If a question is brought up when you start losing weight, just remind him that it is none of their business.

HIPAA and FLMA laws say that if you are requesting medical leave, they can't ask what it's for. CAN'T! If you have leave to take, they have to let you take it as long as you can provide a Dr.'s excuse. Depending on the name of the Dr.'s office on the letterhead your secret is could still come out if you go this route.

Don't feel guilty, I told and I so regret it, wish I had never told a soul but my husband. People who don't care about you are so fast to judge. I have dealt with lots of peoples stupid comments and I just plain wish I would have kept my darn mouth shut.

And besides once you start losing weight it won't be fast (from experience) so you have plenty of time to tell people you have just modified your eating and it will be the truth..

I've told some that I had a hernia repaired. It's really no body's business unless you want to tell. Don't feel bad. Shawn

Since this isn't a personal reslationship, I don't see much trouble with what you told him. UNLESS you have trouble with it. If you have trouble with it, then you need to come clean.

Good luck.

I agree with Kryssa. The letterhead from my Dr. only said Surgical Associates. There was a page with my forms for leave that had a spot to sign on to give my employer access to my records if necessary. I certainly did NOT sign that page, and no one even questioned me. Employers do NOT need to have access to or know anything about your medical history/circumstances. If you don't want to tell, don't. Simple as that. I simply said I was having some intestinal surgery. If anyone asked anything more, I just said I didn't want to talk about it. And I work at a hospital!

Don't feel bad, it is none of anybody else's business. It is your personal choice to have this surgery, it is your personal choise who you choose to share it with.

BTW, love some of the above responses. Made me laugh.